Author Topic: Forum Statistics  (Read 202425 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Forum Statistics
« Reply #315 on: October 28, 2012, 08:33:40 am »
Perhaps Yorkie uses a different version of Google to everyone else but every search term comes up for me...here's 'kelly the telly' for example. Not difficult, is it?  ££$  $thanx$

No Dave - I use the same Google as you do.  My point, which you obviously missed, is that to the layman (such as Ormegolf), to get this Forum from many of the search criteria used could appear odd.   I have no problem as I try to use the best key words I can in my searches to minimise getting rubbish.  And there is plenty around.  In fact why is it that merely entering xxx in a search one picks up every sexually explicit site on the net, or a 2002 American Film?   :D

Ian explains it well.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: October 28, 2012, 09:33:26 am »
The best way to get an accurate result in Google is to enclose the search term in speech marks if you are looking for a specific phrase etc. e.g. "David Roberts Photography", rather than just typoing David Roberts Photography.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #317 on: October 28, 2012, 11:05:37 am »
The best way to get an accurate result in Google is to enclose the search term in speech marks if you are looking for a specific phrase etc. e.g. "David Roberts Photography", rather than just typoing David Roberts Photography.

Totally agree!    ;D. Except I try to type rather than typo - spelling errors can alo make a big difference as I have found with the ipad.   Mine can't seem to speel at al.  &shake&
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #318 on: October 28, 2012, 09:46:03 pm »
Well---thanks everybody. Now Ive got the idea, but Im not really computer illiterate. Ive been reading comuteractive for years and years. But, Dave, in your first post you list things that people have googled in and, you state "they have put in trying to find Threetownsforum." But,obviously, the vast bulk of them, probably all of them, were not looking for TTF but brothels etc. I now realise that the forum came up way way down the list.
   One last question, more to Dave himself but I am sure others know the answer. How do you know all these strange searches that end uplooking at TTF.?  Does every search that ends upon the forums plate tell you what they entered, or does something or someone give you a list, or----WHAT.
  At least I now know something. A few years ago I made a blog entitled "Am I a Bank Robber?"  Just by chance I found the site was right at the very top of a Google search. If anyone keyed in "Bank robber fancy dress" my blog came up. I never knew why,I thought of even trying to sell it to some fancy dress shop. But now I know. Somewhere amongst the thousands of words I printed I mentioned going infancy dress to a Chester Motor Club annual knees up. Puzzle solved.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #319 on: October 28, 2012, 11:38:29 pm »
Most importantly.... The Glory Hole, which seems to get searched for all the time... has been narrowed down to Gloddaeth Street!    D) D)

My search goes on...  :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #320 on: October 29, 2012, 07:57:46 am »
How do you know all these strange searches that end up looking at TTF.?

We get batches of site statistics through which include all that sort of thing. Most people who write blogs or run sites, etc. either install a stats package or already have one through their hosting company.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: October 29, 2012, 08:40:21 am »
Yes, the Stats package for the Forum is very detailed, even down to showing how many people are using Windows or Mac, which browser you are using, how long people spend on average looking at posts, what time of day is busiest etc etc. As well as keeping  a  record of search terms used in Google, it also tracks other websites that link in into the Forum.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #322 on: October 29, 2012, 09:01:46 am »
Interestingly, I just logged into the Stats package and we're on course to have the largest number of Unique Visitors ever this month; we're already up to 11,972 this month, with a couple of days left. The previous record was 11,893 back in May 2012.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #323 on: October 29, 2012, 08:25:48 pm »
good. I assume a unique visitor will get al the adverts. So my header for the golf will be seen by a lot of people. Thank goodness I've just paid my subscription before it goes up.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #324 on: November 01, 2012, 08:05:56 am »
October saw a new record for visitors to the Forum, a total of 13,007 unique visitors, significantly beating the previous record of  11,893 from back in May.

Since the start of the year, a total of 5,793,799 Pages have been viewed and 253.59 GB of Bandwidth used.

Certainly has to be the most successful local Forum in North Wales.

$3towns$

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #325 on: November 02, 2012, 11:05:27 am »
Glad to read this news. Its a just reward to Ian and yourself for all the work you put in. Strange though to get this result in October. I would have expected it in the main tourist season

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #326 on: November 02, 2012, 11:34:10 am »
Strange though to get this result in October. I would have expected it in the main tourist season

They're all back home and on the internet in the darker nights, now...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2013, 11:16:57 am »
Today I decided to have a browse of my Forum Statistics!   I then thought it would be interesting to have a look at other regular posters and it was quite illuminating.  As of this moment:-

One Member only needs to post another 121 to reach 10,000
Another Member has posted during every hour of the day.
One can surmise those that work as most posts are in the evenings.
Likewise one can tell those who don't as they post all day (unless it's the firm's computer, of course)

Have a look, its quite an eye opener!   :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #328 on: August 07, 2013, 12:10:04 pm »
Slow day, Yorkie?  ;)

Offline Tosh

« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2013, 12:39:17 pm »
Sorry Yorkie, haven't got time to browse the statistics today, it's a choice between doing open heart surgery or watching some paint dry and I think the paint might win. _))*