Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1252540 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #5040 on: July 16, 2015, 04:41:15 pm »
Spot on SDQ, well done      &well&

Wepre Park is an ancient woodland rich in
wildlife and history. It is a greatly valued
green space for the residents of Connah's
Quay, and used by over 200,000 visitors from
across the region annually. It's 160 acres are
cared for on a daily basis by Flintshire
Countryside Service so that everyone can
enjoy its beautiful open spaces and facilities.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5041 on: July 16, 2015, 04:42:26 pm »
It is Ewloe Castle Meleri so well done.           &well&

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #5042 on: July 16, 2015, 04:54:04 pm »
An ideal place to take the Grandchildren this summer hols, with spooky Nora the nun who met her unfortunate end, those wonderful pet headstones and acres to run. Thanks Hugo, hope you are feeling better. $thanx$

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5043 on: July 16, 2015, 06:09:04 pm »
                 Good question Hugo, good to see you are getting out and about again. Now where would you find this piece of modern sculpture in North Wales and what does it represent?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5044 on: July 17, 2015, 06:49:32 am »
                    No guesses at this one yet so here is another view of the sculpture with a clue in the distance. I know Hugo was very close to here in the last couple of years and I think DaveR has passed here as well. The demise of a regal covenant occurred very close to here in the past and an antipodean bird has recently taken up residence about half a mile away.........

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5045 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:09 am »
There's some clever cropping there Gwynant and it hasn't given much away.   That white building on the right may be a lighthouse but doesn't help me much.  I'm thinking Anglesey and the Royal Palace in Aberffraw but I'm not confident. 
The clue about Dave doesn't help either as he's been to so many eateries in N Wales that it could be anywhere!     ;D
I'm still thinking on this one.     ?{}?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5046 on: July 17, 2015, 12:19:34 pm »
             Not Aberfraw Hugo but you are right about the lighthouse! I'll remove the cropping a bit and it might help. This sculpture has been here a couple of years but I have walked past it at least twice recently on a well-trodden path and didn't even know it was there. There are also at least two memorials and a commemorative plaque in the vicinity. DaveR has mentioned that it was one of his favourite walks in the past and I'm sure Hollins has been in the area too as she she has submitted a Quiz question from there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5047 on: July 17, 2015, 12:33:23 pm »
It looks a bit like the Moelfre coastal walk and looking in the direction of Point Lynas.    Is the sculpture near the car park in Llugwy Bay?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5048 on: July 17, 2015, 01:26:54 pm »
      You are on the right side of the island Hugo but the sculpture is not in the Llugwy area. This view from another angle might help with the location, (once again clue in the background but slightly cropped, sorry!).
      As I said it is yards from the Coastal Path but unless you look inland away from the sea you will walk past it and miss it, although it is on open land and plainly visible. By the way that walk in Connah's Quay looks very interesting, like you I didn't even know of the existence of Wepre Park, definitely one to do in the near future.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5049 on: July 17, 2015, 01:37:56 pm »
Just seen it on Google with Ynys Moelfre  ( I think)   in the background.  I'll have to remember that when I go to Moefre next

Moelfre Partnership’s Art and Environmental project was officially opened by Albert Owen Anglesey Member for Parliament on Friday 12th July 2013 at Swnt, Moelfre.

Albert Owen MP noted that it was another notable point of interest along the Moelfre to Lligwy coastal path – adding to the Dic Evans statue, Royal Charter panels, Hindlea seat, and the Royal Charter monument – it is one of the most popular walked paths on the island, over 13,000 having walked the path during April, May and June 2013.

Keith Shone and Sam Holland said that ‘Abstract Art is art in which objects, people and places are depicted in simplified arrangements of shapes, lines, textures, and colours’ and that the design was open to people’s own interpretation’.

http://www.moelfre.org/images/2013/moelfre_1.jpg

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5050 on: July 17, 2015, 02:18:26 pm »
            Well done Hugo, it is "Bryn Wylfa" which is situated on the Moelfre headland very close to where the M.V."Hindlea" was wrecked in 1959, but you can easily miss it. We saw it when we walked on the headland after we had visited the new RNLI station on Wednesday. Apologies for my cryptic clues, the "antipodean bird which has taken up residence nearby" was of course the new Moelfre lifeboat "Kiwi", and the "demise of a regal covenant" was the wreck of the "Royal Charter" in 1859, almost 100 years to the day before the "Hindlea". It was a beautiful day as you can see in the view over towards Llandudno and the Great Orme.
           The materials used in the making of the sculpture, were slate, bronze and stone, which were intended to represent elements featured in the past history of Ynys Mon and described in the plaque nearby.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5051 on: July 17, 2015, 04:18:46 pm »
This guy may look like a rogue but I can say honestly that he isn't.   He can be seen above the door of a property in one of North Wales' main roads.
But what door will you see him above?         $walesflag$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #5052 on: July 17, 2015, 05:24:56 pm »
1699...... :roll:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5053 on: July 17, 2015, 06:07:55 pm »
1699,      What & where is that Steve?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #5054 on: July 17, 2015, 06:26:13 pm »
1699,      What & where is that Steve?

Sorry I did it the easy way not really fair, so just put the date.... :(     But as you asked........
The Letty Hotel, Mostyn

This inn was previously known as Y Letty Gonest (“the honest inn”). Its current name, The Letty Hotel, is a tautology, since Letty and Hotel mean the same thing.

photo_of_carved_headThe building dates back centuries. Written above the front door is the date 1699. Above it is a relief, carved from stone, of the head of a man who appears to be showing pain or alarm (picture right). Beside the head is a lamb. The origin and meaning of this carving are unknown.

Also written here is “The Honest Man”. Legend has it that the hotel was built by an Englishman, possibly called Smith and from Worcester, who left the pub without debts. One version of the story says that he suddenly had to return to England before the pub was completed, but he left bags of money on a table inside to ensure none of the tradesmen were out of pocket.

One night in the early 18th century, customs stayed at the officers after confiscating smuggled wine. During the night they were overpowered by colliers, who disappeared with the loot, but it was noticed that some of these men were wearing rings and good quality linen. The customs men suspected that local gentry, who were part of the smuggling operation, had mingled in disguis among the colliers, but the attackers were never found.

It is thought that two tunnels for smuggling led from the inn, one leading to the Mostyn estate behind, the other to the shore. The entrance to the latter is behind a small door in the north-west corner and was discovered by chance one evening. Wood panelling and benches along the walls then obscured the doorway. A dog belonging to one of the drinkers disappeared beneath the bench and could not be found. Its owner crawled through and found the dog in the mouth of the tunnel.

There are tales of the pub being haunted. Landlady Rebecca Talbot has felt fingers being pressed into her back, while nobody was behind her.