Author Topic: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)  (Read 1318750 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Quiz Time (General Knowledge & Out of Area)
« Reply #7200 on: July 22, 2023, 09:05:54 am »
Cwm Prysor, Trawsfynydd ???

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7201 on: July 22, 2023, 09:28:21 am »
That's a really good guess but it's not Cwm Prysor DVT.         It's just one of the many disused railway lines in N Wales

Offline mull

« Reply #7202 on: July 22, 2023, 10:04:52 am »
Is it Viaduct over Afon Cynfal south of Ffestiniog ? Tawsfynydd Branch line ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7203 on: July 22, 2023, 11:30:33 am »
Well done Mull, that's the exact spot.       It's in Llan Ffestiniog and near the Cynfal Falls where we had a walk yesterday

At the end of the walk we had a look around the area and found an access to the railway line.   The rails and sleepers are all intact and from the photos you can see how the rail is designed for the slight bend in the track
The line was from Blaenau Ffestiniog to Trawsfynydd and an effort was made to restore the track for reuse as a tourism attraction.   Unfortunately the group of volunteers used the wrong machinery and the permission was then withdrawn

Offline mull

« Reply #7204 on: July 22, 2023, 05:42:56 pm »
Hard to believe that 30 years ago as an operating safety officer with Trainload Freieght I walked that line between Bleanau Ffestiniog and Trawsfynydd several times. Certain safety matters had to be addressed, interesting times.

Nuclear Flask trains still running at that time. Hear there is talk that the power station may be starting up again.

Offline DVT

« Reply #7205 on: July 22, 2023, 07:32:15 pm »
Well done Mull ... I was on the right line, just further on, a bit off track - the viaduct I gave can just about be seen from the road from Trawsfynydd towards Bala.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7206 on: July 23, 2023, 09:38:45 am »
Apologies for putting this link on again but I can't locate the photos of the 9 arched viaduct at Cwm Prysor that I took when I had a walk up there.       This link shows you the viaduct plus some old photos of the railway.      You have to see it up close to appreciate the engineering that has gone into creating that old railway line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jJtnZWCoLk

Offline DVT

« Reply #7207 on: July 23, 2023, 10:28:11 am »
Great pics in that clip ... when I saw the viaduct pic that was the original part of this quiz I remembered seeing such a construction from the Trawsfynydd-Bala road ... so did the usual Google Maps and came up with the first pic below.  The others are the work of Dan Bovington who must have gone there with a drone, linked from google maps, so all credit to him.

Amazing constructions back then when you consider there was no heavy machinery, it was all hard labour.  I also suspect no red tape back then, to create all sorts of delays!  Major, and expensive, task to get these lines open again but what a tourist attraction they would become.  This particular line to Bala was partly lost into Tryweryn Reservoir.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7208 on: July 23, 2023, 12:01:13 pm »
Thanks for posting those clips DVT  it is a very impressive sight from the main road but more so when you are nearer the viaduct.    The rails and sleepers have been removed unlike the line at Llan Ffestiniog.
It's only a short walk from the main road and worth the effort to see the viaduct up close but be warned that the first part from the main road is very boggy.
At the western end of the viaduct is an old gold mine but we haven't ventured in it because it is usually flooded

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7209 on: July 23, 2023, 03:54:18 pm »
Here's a short drone video on the viaduct that shows how impressive the viaduct is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAUg8iKR2oM

Offline hollins

« Reply #7210 on: August 23, 2023, 07:20:33 pm »
Can you name the sport, the player and the location?

Offline DVT

« Reply #7211 on: August 23, 2023, 10:04:30 pm »
Hurling ... Nicky Rackard ... Wexford

Sorry Hollins ... realised the sport straight away - then googled - never heard of Nicky Rackard before!

Offline hollins

« Reply #7212 on: August 24, 2023, 09:04:54 am »
Well done DVT, correct. We braved the trip across the Irish sea from Holyhead for a week's holiday in County Wexford.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7213 on: September 06, 2023, 05:19:20 pm »
Here's an easy one for Wednesday, where is this bridge in N Wales?

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7214 on: September 06, 2023, 07:56:45 pm »
I think it's the footbridge over the Afon Ogwen by The Spinneys in Llandegai. Mrs. Gwynant and I walked 3/4 of the newly opened section of the N.W. Coastal Path yesterday, she got a bit tired after we reached the boardwalk section as she had a replacement knee last year so we turned back and will park in Port Penrhyn and complete it in the future from the other end!