Author Topic: Cars  (Read 271329 times)

Offline DVT

• Management board member
Re: Cars
« Reply #1080 on: May 16, 2022, 07:54:43 pm »
How many camera vans do they have ? - that list seems to cover every road in north Wales !!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1081 on: May 27, 2022, 11:05:50 am »
The cost of rapidly charging an electric car has risen sharply as energy costs soar, the RAC has said.

However, electric car charging still remains cheaper than petrol and diesel, the motoring organisation said.

Rises in electricity and gas prices, in part since Russia's invasion of Ukraine, are behind the increased charging costs.

But fuel prices have gone up more quickly as crude oil suppliers struggle to meet demand.

The price of charging an electric car on a pay-as-you-go, non-subscription basis at a publicly accessible rapid charger has increased by 21% over the last nine months, the RAC said.

Even charging at home has been getting more expensive as energy bills spiral upwards.

The cost of the electricity used to power electric vehicles varies according to the household tariff the customer is on.

But both rapid charging and home charging are still less expensive than petrol or diesel per mile.

Electric vehicle (EV) charging is nearly half the cost per mile compared to filling a family car with petrol, the motoring organisation said.

The average cost of a litre of petrol has increased by 25% since last September, and diesel by 30%, according to the RAC.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61592931

Offline SteveH

Re: Cars....Scam
« Reply #1082 on: June 03, 2022, 09:20:07 am »
Motorists are being warned by police about a scam that sees con artists try to fleece drivers out of cash. The rouse sees drivers duped into handing over cash for 'damage' that hasn't been caused by them.

The warning comes from North Wales Police after an incident in Conwy on Monday. A man driving a Range Rover became a target for the quick cash con.

Police for the area said that fraudsters will pretend that their target has damaged their vehicle's wing mirror. They will then demand that the driver pays for the "damage", reports NorthWalesLive.

A Police spokesperson said: "The victim will be driving along and then hear a bang on the passenger side of their vehicle. A car will then follow behind, get them to pull over and then claim that the victim just struck his driver's door mirror and demand cash for repairs.

"What actually happens is that the scammer is parked at the roadside and will deliberately strike the victim's car as it passes. The damaged mirror is fake and wasn't caused by the victim."

cont https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/drivers-warned-over-wing-mirror-24118732?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1083 on: June 21, 2022, 12:47:20 pm »
A REPRESENTATIVE of North Wales Motor Company (NWMC) has been selected out of thousands of drive for Kia as their ambassador at Goodwood Festival of Speed.

Jade Paveley, a rally pro and marketing director for Llandudno Kia (of which NWMC is the parent company) is to drive the Kia EV6 GT for its debut appearance, at the festival at Goodwood House, West Sussex from June 23-26.

Kia?s most powerful production car so far, the all-electric high-performance crossover will be taking on the festival?s hill climb several times throughout the weekend, and can accelerate from zero to 62mph in just 3.5 seconds.

Jade was 2021 British Rally Cross Country Championship (BXCC) Class T2 champion and 2018 Junior Welsh Tarmac Rally champion.

She is also the end-of-stage reporter for the World Rally Championship and European World Rally Championship, as well as marketing director for Llandudno Kia.

Jade, who has been involved in the world of motorsport since 2008, said: "It's such a great opportunity to be an ambassador to a global brand, Kia, at such a prestigious event like Goodwood!

?And even better that I can finally represent a brand my family business is so closely involved with as the Kia branch in Llandudno.

?I've driven so many cars in my time but none that we as a family actually sell so it finally all lines up! I can't wait!"

For more on Jade?s motorsport career, go to: jadepaveley.com/jades-motorsport-career.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1084 on: June 28, 2022, 03:07:42 pm »
Britain's Elfyn Evans was runner-up to World Rally Championship (WRC) leader Kalle Rovanpera as Toyota took the top four spots at Safari Rally Kenya.

The Welshman finished 52 seconds behind Rovanpera, with Takamoto Katsuta third and Sebastien Ogier fourth.

Finland's Rovanpera has a 65-point lead over Belgian Thierry Neuville (Hyundai) in the championship, with Evans and co-driver Scott Martin sixth overall.

"It's been a great weekend and this one's really for the team," said Evans.

"Everybody else has struggled and we have come through.

"I think it was clear today what was going on, but we weren't quite on it with a few things on Saturday."

Read on https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/61941841

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1085 on: June 30, 2022, 01:37:11 pm »
THERE is good news for Conwy drivers with the young motorists in the town being named the most careful in the UK.

According to comprehensive analysis by Adrian Flux, the town is the area with the least speediest teenagers on the road.

On average, only one in five FluxScore users there (17 per cent) will receive a serious warning about their speeding compared to almost all (98.5 per cent) in Ealing, West London.

The warnings are triggered by a black box that sits in the driver?s car to monitor their performance in the hope of improving safety and saving them money.

read more  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20245825.conwy-named-top-best-place-careful-young-drivers-uk/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline DVT

« Reply #1086 on: July 01, 2022, 11:57:05 am »
Just filled up my car with fuel ... 207.9 per litre (Shell V-Power) ... that is 13p per litre more than I paid three weeks ago.

What is annoying is that the sign showed unleaded ar 194.9 and diesel at 198.9 ... last time I went diesel and V-Power were only one penny difference.

Yet we keep hearing the price is levelling off or coming down.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1087 on: July 01, 2022, 03:24:30 pm »
Dave, could have been worse..........

'Fuel fool' DJ fills up three cars with petrol thinking Tesco was only charging ?1 per tank
Mr Ind's 'petrol bubble' was burst when it pointed out to him that the ?1 charge was the standard authorisation 'pay at the pump' amount

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/fuel-fool-dj-fills-up-24371056

Offline DVT

« Reply #1088 on: July 01, 2022, 04:13:06 pm »
The Automobile Club of North Wales will be on Llandudno Promenade (by the bandstand) from around 13:45 this Sunday July 3rd.

There will be upwards of 75/100 Vintage/Veteran/Classic cars/motorcycles/Commercial vehicles on display at this free event.

Cars on display may include:  Austin 7, MG Midget J2, Austin 10/4, Daimler Light 15, Triumph Roadster, Rover P3 75, Jaguar XK150, Riley Roadster, MG TA, Humber 14/40, Morris Minor Convertible, Rover 90, olseley 1500, Jaguar Mk2, Ford Anglia Super, Triumph Vitesse Mk1, MGB GT, Gilbern Genie, Ford Ecsort Mk1, Land-Rover 2A, Austin A35 Van, Sunbeam Alpine SRV ... and many, many more.

Online Hugo

« Reply #1089 on: July 12, 2022, 11:11:09 am »
The cheapest fuel stations don't appear to be in this area but as I needed petrol anyway I stopped at the Service Station in Princes' Drive colwyn Bay where the cheapest petrol was ?1.91 a litre.         That didn't seem too bad so I pulled in and quickly filled up the car 
It was only when I paid the ?70.00 I realised that I'd made a Boo Boo.       I had used the 97 pump and the cost was ?2.05 per litre.
Anyway my little Mitsubishi Colt must have felt like an Evo when it left the garage

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1090 on: July 12, 2022, 11:21:01 am »
Hugo, Times are a'changing... I loved your comment above........"The cheapest petrol was ?1.91 a litre.... that didn't seem too bad" ! !

Online Hugo

« Reply #1091 on: July 12, 2022, 03:26:37 pm »
There's a typo there Steve, my laptop is nearly as old as my car!        Anyway  I'm of the age where you just fill up the tank as there is nothing you can do about the price, it is what it is
When I was much younger and had my first car I can remember paying five shillings a gallon ( that's 25p new money)     There was no way on earth that I could afford to fill up the petrol tank in those days

On another motoring theme, the Welsh Government are today voting on  whether to impose a 20 mph limit on all residential roads in Wales.    If it goes ahead then the Arrive Alive camera van should make a small fortune for the country, especially  from those motorists that cross the border into Wales

Offline DVT

« Reply #1092 on: July 12, 2022, 04:36:11 pm »
Hugo ...

... do you keep a record of your fuel usage?  I am on my third Honda Civic and have kept records since 2014.  The first was a 1600 diesel estate that did 56mpg over 29k miles, the second a 1.5 Sport that did 42mpg over 16k miles, and my current one is a Type R which I've had 3 1/2 years and records 31mpg over 21k miles.  I was prepared to live with that.

... I was advised to use Shell Super every tenth fill with the Type R which I did.  Last year, when the standard E5 became E10 I noticed a slick lack of oomph and the mpg dropped by about 10%.  So started filling with Super every time - the mpg has gone higher than it was before E10, and is increasing slightly every fill.

... you may find that by paying a percentage more for the Super fuel you are actually getting a similar, or better, percentage mpg - so it's a win situation!

... I guess this will depend on what car you have but certainly works for me.

My first car (in 1966) was a 1963 Austin Mini Countryman, 848cc but only did 30mpg (!).  I filled up at Black Cat every Friday on the way home for work, costs me about ?1 or thereabouts.

... as for the 20mph limits I guess i'm never going to find out if my car will achieve the mph that Honda claim it can do - 169mph!  Then you have speed limiters on new cars - are the authorities really trying to make roads safer - I don't think so.

Online Hugo

« Reply #1093 on: July 12, 2022, 05:49:33 pm »
DVT     

I've never kept a record of the fuel consumption of any car I've ever owned but I did keep an eye on the gauge of my Mitsubishi Colt when I first had it.
I remember the gauge showed 99 mpg which was great but then I was driving downhill from Upper Colwyn Bay!     The gauge showed a lot less when I was going back up the hill
I also have a Hyundai IX 20 which is not economical according to Mrs H but then  we don't do a lot of motoring now that we are both retired so the cost of motoring isn't important to us now
My first car was a Hillman Imp and it had been a great car for me until the gasket blew and we got rid of it quickly in part ex for a Vauxhall Viva that was brand new and cost ?659.00 the road

It'll be interesting to see what happens if they bring in the 20 mph rule for residential roads.    Wales' only North to South road, the A470  goes through a lot of residential areas, so will the restrictions apply to the A470 too.     All will be revealed in due cours

ehttps://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/drivers-fear-nightmare-20mph-limits-24464584

PS  Steve  I've made sure that I have pressed the pound sign on my laptop  ? but the ? comes up instead.    Perhaps the gremlins have come back?

Online Hugo

« Reply #1094 on: July 12, 2022, 10:29:54 pm »
Here's the result
Wales votes for 20mph default speed limit and it will be rolled out next year
Senedd members have backed Welsh Government plans to cut the limit in most built-up areas by 10mph

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/wales-votes-20mph-default-speed-24472274