Author Topic: Cars  (Read 284301 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Cars..............Scams
« Reply #960 on: May 13, 2021, 09:59:28 am »
Urgent warning to UK drivers over 5 car scams that could cost them £8,500
Criminals are coming up with new ways of catching motorists out

Criminals are continuing to use the coronavirus pandemic - and the current restrictions - to scam people out of their hard-earned cash.

Scams have hit an all-time high recently and North Wales Police have issued multiple warnings about scams reported across the region.

Looking out for so many convincing scams can be incredibly daunting for motorists.
And with more people buying and selling motors online than ever before, fraudsters have found new ways to target the vulnerable.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/urgent-warning-uk-drivers-over-20580567

Offline SteveH

Re: Cars
« Reply #961 on: May 23, 2021, 01:40:00 pm »
North Wales taxi boss tried to go green but bid ended in failure - this is why
Steve Derby spent close to £50,000 on two MG5 electric cars for his taxi firm Busy Bee in Rhyl

After just a few weeks he has been forced to return the cars and go back on to diesel.
The reason for this was that the infrastructure for rapid charging is not in place.

This has meant long charging waits or Steve driving to a rapid charger at Bodelwyddan - sometimes in the middle of the night.
He said: "We invested in the MG5 which can do 214 miles on a full charge.

"On average a driver will do between 100 and 150 miles on a shift so the idea was there would be a day driver working till 4pm, put the car on charge and at 5pm the night driver would take over."

He understood a 50 minute charge would give an 80% charge of the battery - meaning that hour between 4pm and 5pm would fill up the already part charged battery for the night shift.

But he said: "The reality is that on a bad day when it's nippy and raining, you put the wipers and heating on and maybe lights, and instead of bringing the car back at 4pm with 60% it was more like 30%."

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/rhyl-taxi-boss-tried-go-20649994

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #962 on: May 23, 2021, 03:42:09 pm »
... how many really believe that in less than 10 years time we will only be able to buy electric cars, and that there will be sufficient charging points to cope.

... I live in a cul-de-sac of 16 houses and if everyone has their vehicles at home there is a total of over 30 ... not all parked in driveways.  Imagine the trail of cables and, more seriously, you will not be able to enjoy a cup of tea as there will be insufficient power in the house to heat the kettle.  Possibly overload the local sub-station as well.  Has anyone thought what would happen in a power cut.

... long journeys will not happen as you will have to spend some time charging up, if you can find somewhere to do so.  The few people I have spoken to that own e-cars are already having problemsdue to lack of charging points and range they can travel without charging.

... I agree that alternatives need to be found, but is this really the answer?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #963 on: May 23, 2021, 07:13:03 pm »
Yes...it's not so bad for those with decent drives and their own recharge point. Not good for those who live in houses facing directly onto streets.  A lot has to change before it becomes a viable option.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #964 on: May 24, 2021, 11:47:52 am »
By coincidence............

LLANDUDNO is to benefit following a huge investment in Wales' electric vehicle charging network.

Ofgem, the energy regulator, has approved 17 net zero projects worth around £12 million across Wales. These shovel-ready, low carbon projects start this year, supporting clean transport and heat, and opening up local electricity grids to take on more low carbon generation. This is part of £300.5 million investment approved by Ofgem for net zero projects across Britain.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19324192.millions-invested-wales-electric-vehicle-charging-network/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #965 on: May 26, 2021, 12:48:54 pm »
I've only posted this because yesterday a black McLaren parked behind me in Mostyn Street.   It was a fantastic looking motor if you have the money to afford one
Today I was looking at the Daily Post online and this article appeared and the McLaren that crashed yesterday wasn't looking too good.  It sort of proves a point I made previously that if you have the money you can buy a high performance car even if you are incapable of driving it properly

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mclaren-supercar-drivers-mistimed-overtake-20671785

Offline SteveH

« Reply #966 on: June 01, 2021, 12:53:08 pm »
Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think

I know, you probably haven't even driven one yet, let alone seriously contemplated buying one, so the prediction may sound a bit bold, but bear with me.

We are in the middle of the biggest revolution in motoring since Henry Ford's first production line started turning back in 1913.

And it is likely to happen much more quickly than you imagine.

Many industry observers believe we have already passed the tipping point where sales of electric vehicles (EVs) will very rapidly overwhelm petrol and diesel cars.

It is certainly what the world's big car makers think.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57253947

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #967 on: June 01, 2021, 07:14:43 pm »
A friend of mine has a VW Van for work. he's getting a useable range of 87 miles on a full charge provided he doesn't put anything in the back, A home charge is taking 14 hours. and to buy it was almost twice the price of a conventional van. Remember you can't trust manufacturers claims especially from VW's. There has to be a major revolution in batteries before they are anything more than a gimmick.  *cycle*
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #968 on: June 01, 2021, 08:07:13 pm »
I'm putting off buying an electric car until I have to and it'll look a bit like this one.     Only trouble is that I don't think that it's too far away now

Offline SteveH

« Reply #969 on: June 02, 2021, 10:05:25 am »
I'm putting off buying an electric car until I have to and it'll look a bit like this one.     Only trouble is that I don't think that it's too far away now
Ditto  :(

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #970 on: June 02, 2021, 06:48:03 pm »
We get a range of 300+ miles on our EV.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #971 on: June 15, 2021, 02:44:45 pm »
Hyundai Accent  C 1997

I have a number of sealed beam headlights that are suitable for this car and if they are any use to anyone then they can have them for free

If I don't hear anything then I'll take them to the tip at Mochdre next time I go there as I no longer have any use for them

Offline SteveH

Re: Cars.........Mercedes car club
« Reply #972 on: June 27, 2021, 03:08:24 pm »
Unfortunately, just been told the Mercedes car club were on the prom today, sorry to have missed then, did anyone get any photos be chance ?

found an old photo of my 1997 SL500 V8

Offline DVT

« Reply #973 on: June 27, 2021, 04:16:32 pm »
I did drive past earlier - they woudn't let my Honda in !!!!!

Seemed to be a lot there.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #974 on: June 27, 2021, 06:21:33 pm »
How did they manage to have this? Last weeks Car and Coffee on the prom was cancelled due to Covid restrictions.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.