Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 179115 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #375 on: April 15, 2014, 08:21:14 pm »
'Joys' and 'Windows' are not generally two words to be found in the same sentence.  :laugh:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #376 on: April 16, 2014, 07:10:11 am »
 _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #377 on: April 16, 2014, 08:43:11 am »
'Joys' and 'Windows' are not generally two words to be found in the same sentence.  :laugh:

_))* _))* _))*

I still have the iPad for when I want to do some serious work!  And at the price I paid for the new "Babbage" it would be worthwhile just filling up the 1TB of storage with music!     :D  :D  :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #378 on: April 16, 2014, 05:27:18 pm »
Hi,  Yorkie asked if anyone had had the joys? of windows 8. Well, I have and I must say there are some good guides on youtube
to introduce you to the system.However I must confess I simply press the windows key and D to go straight to desktop where I have set things up like the older windows systems. There are lots of other shortcuts to learn.
     My laptop is still windows 8 in that despite repeated offers to free upgrade....I haven't  done anything yet. Even worse there is now not only
the first update to windows 8.1 but there is even a very recent update to that....called 8.1 update.Reviews on these updates are mixed . Has anyone done either update yet? Was it straightforward? etc etc.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #379 on: April 16, 2014, 07:35:04 pm »
Thanks Rhuddlan for the advice.  I have discovered that one can use it in a manner with a straightforward menu and am gradually getting more used to it.
Being a bit stupid maybe, and without thinking, I have updated to 8.1 but so far have not experienced any changes.  But, then again, I've only had it a few hours!
The update was straightforward but did take a bit of time.  The whole process was seamless so I just let it take care of it in its own time.

Transferring data from my old PC  is going to be the major task, unless I discover the short cuts.    :D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #380 on: April 16, 2014, 09:01:44 pm »
Transferring data from my old PC  is going to be the major task, unless I discover the short cuts.    :D
You could maybe consider keeping all your data on an external hard drive, which could then be simply unplugged and reconnected to a new pc?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #381 on: April 17, 2014, 08:22:33 am »
You could maybe consider keeping all your data on an external hard drive, which could then be simply unplugged and reconnected to a new pc?

That's a good idea!  I have a 400 gig external on which I keep all my music and other stuff, including my back up files for the PC.  Connect that and move the stuff over as and when I feel in the mood.  It would be a shame though, not to use the 1 TB that the laptop has built in so it would only be a temporary fixture.
As I will be dumping the old PC I can use the external to back up the laptop as and when.   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #382 on: April 17, 2014, 07:08:18 pm »
I now Windows 8.1 properly up and running and after good look around I have found it very eclectic and much easier to use than I first thought.  Mail is a lot different to the Outlook Express I have been used to but after a couple of excursions it has proved to be very easy to use.   Still more to discover!  :D
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #383 on: April 21, 2014, 12:48:27 pm »
Is anyone having any problems with Google Chrome at the moment?   I am getting all weird and wonderful colours from them and on every progam I open through Chrome.

Everything else on the PC is just as normal!   ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #384 on: April 21, 2014, 02:04:52 pm »
Problem solved.  Somehow or other I had managed to set the Google Chrome Screen to "High Contrast" and this was transferring to all that I opened from the Google Page.   The Contrast Button (which I never knew existed) is on the top right of the screen and is a black and white ball.  Click on this and then set contrast as you wish.   I'm leaving mine on Normal now as the default setting!   
 ;D
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #385 on: July 02, 2014, 02:44:12 am »
CHRISTMAS will come early for residents and businesses in Llandudno and Abergele this year, with the arrival of superfast broadband.

BT confirmed to MP Guto Bebb and Clwyd West AM Darren Millar this week that fast fibre-optic broadband will be activated in both towns’ exchanges by December, giving properties in the area internet speeds up to three times faster than the UK average.

Mr Millar said: “This is tremendous news.

“More than ever, high speed communications are crucial in the fast-moving and changing world that we work and live in so I look forward to the benefits this improved broadband will bring to my constituents."

It is part of Superfast Cymru’s rollout of fast fibre-optic broadband to 96 per cent of premises in Wales by 2016 - a target set by the Welsh Government.

Erw Fawr, a street in Henryd in the Conwy Valley, hit the headlines in April when comparison website uSwitch announced it had the slowest download speeds in the UK, at 0.6mbps.

Senior Conwy Councils were told by top BT staff in June that the rollout of superfast broadband across the county is underway, with Kinmel Bay and the Conwy Valley the first to benefit.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #386 on: July 02, 2014, 08:12:08 am »
That's good news! About time, too. $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #387 on: July 02, 2014, 08:21:56 am »
It's only two exchanges, however;  Llanrwst isn't on the list, so it's not all the Conwy Valley by a long shot. Neither, strangely, are Rhos or Colwyn Bay. Those designated are Llandudno and Aberconwy. Along the coast, Abergele, Rhuddlan and Dyserth are also in the plan.

Senior Conwy Councils were told by top BT staff in June that the rollout of superfast broadband across the county is underway, with Kinmel Bay and the Conwy Valley the first to benefit.

Hmmm... Blaenau FF and Corwen are already enabled. So much for us 'being the first to benefit'...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #388 on: July 02, 2014, 11:46:27 am »
How will we know when we have it?  Will we be bombarded with Pop-ups telling us that we can now surf somewhat faster?   Or will we hardly notice any change?    ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #389 on: July 02, 2014, 11:59:48 am »
I think you'll be able to rely an BT and the WAG bombarding you with info as the time approaches, Y :-)))