Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 179178 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Re: Stop Press
« Reply #345 on: February 26, 2014, 04:12:44 pm »
...and thinking of the wheel, BTW, which came first: the wheel or the roadway?

Naturally, the road, path or track was first!   Otherwise there was no need for the wheel!  Before there is innovation there has to be a need.  It is a little simpler than the chicken and egg.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #346 on: February 26, 2014, 04:17:12 pm »
Cars also have a 'history' of exploding. Should nobody drive them either?

There's a difference between driving a car - regulated by EU standards - and a phoney charger - not regulated in any sense whatsoever.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #347 on: February 26, 2014, 04:18:40 pm »
Naturally, the road, path or track was first!   Otherwise there was no need for the wheel!

Ah.  So the wheel was invented once someone had laid a roadway?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #348 on: February 26, 2014, 04:24:21 pm »
Naturally, the road, path or track was first!   Otherwise there was no need for the wheel!

Ah.  So the wheel was invented once someone had laid a roadway?

People and animals put one leg in front of the other and "walked" creating pathways and roads, along which they moved from one place to another.  Goods and chattels were carried on the backs of animals.  When they found that the wheel would not fit on the animals they invented the wheelbarrow!  And so it continued ad infinitum.
 D)
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: February 26, 2014, 04:25:43 pm »
People and animals put one leg in front of the other and "walked" creating pathways and roads, along which they moved from one place to another.

Is that how it happened?

:)

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #350 on: February 26, 2014, 04:31:48 pm »
People and animals put one leg in front of the other and "walked" creating pathways and roads, along which they moved from one place to another.

Is that how it happened?

:)

Until Tarmac was invented.    $walesflag$
Cicero

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #351 on: February 26, 2014, 06:17:49 pm »
Dave wouldn't be very happy if someone were to publish a book using his photos.
Indeed not! Especially as compilation of my own book 'Abandoned, Forgotten & Overlooked' is well underway...  $good$

Can't wait for your book to come out DaveR. Please let us know when it is available.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #352 on: February 26, 2014, 06:26:36 pm »

I think it is fair to say that all manufacturers copy each other, in one way or another.

Well. in the sense that very little is really original in the true sense of the word, there's something in what you say. But plagiarism and stealing are crimes, and although the complete copying of something someone else has thought of might not seem to be wrong, it ultimately costs jobs and destroys companies.

When I was working as a textile designer in a British factory we struggled with the effects of copying as many of our competitors did not employ a designer. I was sent once to a seminar on copyright and the advice given there was to make sure you got more out of copying others than they did copying you. In other words there's not a lot you can do about it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 07:59:00 pm by Ian »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #353 on: February 26, 2014, 07:00:52 pm »
Once upon a time they called it
INDUSTRIAL ESPIONAGE.

But that's just an old fairy tale!   Y^^Y
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #354 on: February 26, 2014, 08:16:58 pm »
My genuine iphone charger cost me £20, and fell apart within months, (split casing, frayed wires) but it still works well as I taped it up.

I bought a cheap iphone charger, (not a copy, doesn't pretend to be Apple), for only £2 from Ebay.   It hasn't exploded 'yet', but it takes a lot longer to charge the phone up.

It came from HK, and the shipping charge was NIL!   Incredible.

Dave R, you had an iphone charger explode did you not, I recall?    Was it a genuine Apple one?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #355 on: February 26, 2014, 08:53:38 pm »
Dave wouldn't be very happy if someone were to publish a book using his photos.
Indeed not! Especially as compilation of my own book 'Abandoned, Forgotten & Overlooked' is well underway...  $good$

Can't wait for your book to come out DaveR. Please let us know when it is available.
Thank you. It's likely to emerge as an Ebook on Amazon/iTunes at first, so I can gauge demand/feedback etc before deciding whether to proceed with a printed version.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: February 26, 2014, 08:54:07 pm »
The Charger that exploded certainly did look like a genuine Apple one and had all the appropriate markings etc but who can really say? Some forgeries are very cleverly done.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #357 on: March 15, 2014, 09:27:04 pm »
IOS 7.1 was released yesterday and is for iPhones and iPads. It makes a lot of difference to the devices, so it's worth getting.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #358 on: March 15, 2014, 09:38:24 pm »
Haven't noticed any difference on my iPad as yet!  Still haven't got the @ sign or the - on the main querty keyboard!     :D
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: March 15, 2014, 10:02:09 pm »
I have.  If you tap the ?123 button, they appear. Alternatively, you can use a Bluetooth keyboard. It's also possible to load alternative keyboard layouts. Go to settings / general / keyboard / keyboards. I have the Emoj keyboard for smileys.