Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 179141 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2013, 07:42:55 pm »
First you may recall I actually used the word against myself.  If I have offended anyone ( as I obviously have) I am sorry.  At the time of writing I was making certain amount of play on the word Twitter.   I will not mention the word again, at least not on this Forum.
 Y^^Y
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2013, 08:20:29 pm »
When you need to type an offensive word you should leave out at least one letter and replace it with something like an asterisk.

Do you believe that by the insertion of an asterisk no one will know what you mean?   If so there is absolutely no point in putting the naughty word in the first place, even though an attempt has been made to disguise it!

What you don't do is type the full word and then stick a dash in there, pointless really.

Same applies to an asterisk in my book, but then I could be wrong!

If you need to know what tw*t means, Google it and you might be surprised because some people including myself find the use of it way over the top and I class myself as very broadminded.

So Google is now the be all and end all of producing accurate definitions?   Not in my book!

In a proper dictionary the objectionable word has TWO DISTINCT meanings viz:

Definition of t**t     (you know what I mean)
noun
1 vulgar slang a woman’s genitals.
2 a person regarded as stupid or obnoxious.

Google has many other obviously contrived definitions.  I was using the term in its second meaning, i.e. regarding myself as stupid!  I hope now that my critics may take another look at the matter and should they feel it necessary to offer an apology.  Most unlikely that such will happen.

Please keep the debate going.

Perhaps I should have used twyllo!

On mi bike!  :cyclist40:
Cicero

Offline Tosh

« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2013, 09:08:50 pm »
Yorkie, the point I was making was that you aren't covering anything up at all if you type the word and just place a dash in there, the whole word is there.
The idea is to be a little subtle and a dash is not subtle.
The idea is that you disguise the word a little but it is still recognisable but less likely to offend.
The newspapers do it all the time.
The reason I quoted Google was that it saves you moving away from your keyboard to get the dictionary and Google being Google, it is pretty accurate.
You wrote the word and I don't see why you should expect an apology from anbody.
I've known what the word means since I was a lad and despite any modern interpretations I would not dream of writing it in a public domain that is available to younger family members.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2013, 09:11:45 pm »
Chaware teg!   
Cicero

Offline Tosh

« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »
Ymddiheuriad derbyn.     _))* _))* _))* _))*

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2013, 09:27:21 am »
Het was een genoegen.    :P :P :P :P

Ik ben op mijn fiets.    :cyclist40:
Cicero

Offline Tosh

« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2013, 12:12:27 pm »
moge je god met ja gaan Yorkie, zegen u, u bent een heer.    ££$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2013, 12:17:24 pm »
Who you calling 'Bent'?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2013, 12:48:08 pm »
Don't blame you!  I find both Twitter and Facebook most peculiar and much of it complete nonsense. 
Just to let you know, Yorkie, I think someone's impersonating you on Facebook. Someone using your name tried to add me as a Friend this morning. Obviously, I know you don't like it, so it cant have been you. Thought you would want to know.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2013, 01:36:49 pm »
As far as I can see there is not a lot I can do about it.  I'll get all my bills sent to them!    L0L
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2013, 01:38:55 pm »
Anyone had any experience of using PINTEREST?  http://pinterest.com/

If so any views about it?   $thanx$
Cicero

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »
Just to let you know, Yorkie, I think someone's impersonating you on Facebook. Someone using your name tried to add me as a Friend this morning. Obviously, I know you don't like it, so it cant have been you. Thought you would want to know.

Apparently on Twitter also.  The FUZZ are on the case and if it (they) don't disappear someone may get their collar felt.  I shall say no more.   8)

I do have a Facebook presence under my own name of course!

I am also reminded that imitation is supposed to be the sincerest form of flattery, so maybe I should I feel flattered?   ;)
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2013, 05:48:29 pm »
That's amazing.  :o I do get the odd nutter trying to add me on Facebook and Twitter, but nothing like that.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #253 on: January 29, 2013, 06:55:58 pm »
I recognise myself as being a bit of an oddball but not a nutter!  Don't think I have you on my Facebok list as yet.   I tend to just see what the family members are posting and use Direct Messaging to correspond. My Daughter is off to Gambia soon and we will mainly be using e-mail and the iPad Face Time ap to chat, that should be fun.   ;D
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #254 on: February 01, 2013, 06:37:39 pm »
Some joker called https://twitter.com/Adrianeagle is trying to Follow me on Twitter now. I blocked him, naturally. Perhaps he needs to be added to the Police investigation?