Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 179096 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2012, 04:53:32 pm »
I don't have an iPad yet but wondered if there is a "RESTORE POINT" that you can go to as one can on most PC's these days?

Good luck!    ££$

Your problem sounds a bit like this chap from another forum:

I was on a 3 week vacation and took a lot of notes during that time.  When I got back, I wanted to e-mail them to myself.  When I brought up the Notes app all my notes (about 15 of them with a lot of details in each) had disappeared.  When I called Apple Support they said I should have backed them up regularly and that the iPad is not a storage device (good to know!)  Obviously, I don't take my desktop with me on vacation to be able to use iTunes to back my iPad up daily, right after I create my note, so I am not caught by this surprise.  Of course, I can e-mail it to myself as a backup as soon as I create the note.  But that assumes I have Wi-Fi access available wherever I go on vacation.  So unless anyone has any ideas on this, I have just lost a lot of detailed information that I was going to use to write a travel blog.  How does something just disappear from a device without it being deleted or without a serious failure of the component that persists it?
Very disappointed with the iPad and Apple, especially considering how jaded everyone is with this company and its products.  From that statement you may realize that I am a new Apple product user and not as enamored.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2012, 05:41:56 pm »
I don't think the Notes app is secured, Mike, so you shouldn't be using to store anything like passwords anyway!

I use Google Docs, which is password protected and saved immediately every time you make a change:
http://support.google.com/docs/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=49008

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2012, 07:15:44 pm »
Thanks Yorkie and DaveR. The security aspect never even crossed my mind. I just thought that as long as I don't loose my iPad all is safe. silly me.  I will start studying google docs straight away.
Do you know, and I say this in all seriousness , I needed 3 months away by myself to try and read up on iPads, kindles, laptops etc to try and get a grip on the situation. Mike

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »
I really think it is time I gave up trying to absorb tech stuff. Google Docs, sounds simple, just want to store a few phone numbers. Huh. Very first word I see is "Do Paginate" I think it said.    So I need a dictionary to even start!!!   Lets get back to cutting grass.  Mike

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2012, 08:51:07 pm »
Personally I think someone should start giving lessons on how to use all these new fangled items.  Fortunately my Son is well versed on them all but is only able to help with remote assistance with my PC and Laptop.   I am having to work everything out for myself with my recently purchased Android phone.  Got loads of aps on it but I haven't a clue how to use them!
 :rage:
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #155 on: March 11, 2012, 12:10:27 am »
The Emperor's New Clothes springs to mind.

A myth perpetuated by such luminaries as Dave R and Ian.

Mike, Yorkie... its so refreshing to hear people say that they don't know EVERYTHING about these devices.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2012, 07:19:21 am »
Well I have to say that my iPad is excellent and it's the first Apple product that I've ever owned!  I'm still learning what it does though and I expect to carry on learning with it!  ;D
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: March 11, 2012, 09:01:52 am »
...says the man who once said he'd never need an iPhone and now finds it invaluable....  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #158 on: March 11, 2012, 11:36:36 am »
Well I have to say that my iPad is excellent and it's the first Apple product that I've ever owned!  I'm still learning what it does though and I expect to carry on learning with it!  ;D

There's an App called 'tips & tricks - ipad secrets' which may help you learn
some things about the iPad that you are maybe unaware of. They do one
for the iPhone too which I found quite helpful. You'll probably know some
of the tips but I'm pretty sure there will be some you don't. Try the free
Lite version first & if you find it helpful there's a paid version with even
more tips if you wish to upgrade.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #159 on: March 11, 2012, 12:43:51 pm »

My first computer in about 1980 was an Apple Euro Plus with two floppy drives and a MASSIVE 16k of memory!    In those days I used Basic for programming and managed to do quite a bit of work for one of our small businesses.  Wish I still had it as they are now collectors' items!   :rage:
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #160 on: March 11, 2012, 01:42:29 pm »
...says the man who once said he'd never need an iPhone and now finds it invaluable....  :laugh:  :laugh:

'Invaluable' might be too strong a word, dear chap
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: March 11, 2012, 03:55:48 pm »
It's invaluable for me in that I don't have to check the share prices for you all day anymore!  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: March 11, 2012, 03:57:48 pm »
My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 in 1980, with just 1k of memory. You could play games on it!  :o

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #163 on: March 11, 2012, 04:24:23 pm »
I had one of those (well the Spectrum one) the games were on a cassette tape and took ages to load!
We could only dream of the technology that we have now!  I wonder what we will have in ten years time?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #164 on: March 11, 2012, 04:39:04 pm »
I had a Spectrum too and got hooked to a game called Jet Set Willy. You were a spaceman going through different game levels collecting pieces & I spent many hours trying to complete it only to find out it was impossible to collect the last piece! I lost interest in computer games after that until Nintendo brought out the NES with the Super Mario game.
Valar Morghulis