Author Topic: Help wanted: Computers  (Read 179111 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Help wanted: Computers
« Reply #105 on: September 02, 2011, 01:32:35 pm »
A question for dwsi.

http://bit.ly/qmM6lz

When you put a link on the forum it looks like a code for the full length version. I am just intrigued about it. Could you explain why it is done that way?
Thanks.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #106 on: September 02, 2011, 01:54:38 pm »
I use a website called bit.ly or stwnsh.com to shorten a web address into the web address you see on the forum.
A web address like this http://www.pathodkinson.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/etching_Llandudno-625x317.jpg becomes http://bit.ly/r2BmlH
It looks tidier when posted. There is also a bit.ly app for the google chrome browser that does the job as well.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #107 on: September 02, 2011, 01:57:26 pm »
I see!
Thank you for taking the trouble to explain........you learn something every day!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: September 02, 2011, 02:43:51 pm »
I always wonder what would happen if the bit.ly website ceased to work! How do they make any money, after all?

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #109 on: September 06, 2011, 10:14:30 am »
My PC was laking a long time to load up Firefox, Chrome,etc and then when they had loaded up were flickering. I attempted a systemrestore which has worked for me in the past but all I get is a window headed Install Windows with the message Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration restart the computer. When I attempt to do this the message disappears and instead of rebooting  I get Setup is Starting Services with a fuzzy line underneath it - but nothing happens. I have tried running from safe mode and various cmds from the cmd prompt but  it appears that the system restore has been de activated . I don't have any discs with which to reinstall Windows. Any ideas as to what I can do next? I have sent off for some Windows restore discs but up to now they haven'tarrived. my netbook is fine for use of the internet but I really need my PC and Printer for other stuff

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #110 on: September 06, 2011, 10:19:54 am »
Could be a hardware failure, rather than software. When you say flickering, was it just Chrome and Firefox that were flickering or was it doing it on the Windows desktop as well?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #111 on: September 06, 2011, 11:13:09 am »
My PC was laking a long time to load up Firefox, Chrome,etc  ....... edited to shorten ....... my netbook is fine for use of the internet but I really need my PC and Printer for other stuff

Have you checked that all cables are plugged in properly, and cable connections in any mains plugs are secure?    Also check connections to any peripherals such as monitor, modem, router, printer, scanner etc.   It can also help if the inside of the computer case is hoovered out occasionally as one can get an accumulation of dust and muck.   If it still don't work after a good old check over then Dave is probably right.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #112 on: September 06, 2011, 03:17:07 pm »
thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try :rage:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #113 on: September 06, 2011, 03:33:43 pm »
thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try :rage:

One thing I forgot to mention.   Funny things have been going on in the Penrhryn Bay area over the last couple of days.  Very slow loading of Google, Firefox and Safari.  Also page loads very slow or not obtainable, when one did get a half reasonable connection.  It seems OK today (so far).

When you try to boot up next time have all peripherals switched off if possible.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline dusty

« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2011, 02:53:47 pm »
Wondering if anyone has any ideas, can't pair my ipad1with my mobile. Just keeps saying make sure in range, which I am. I want to transfer some iTunes off my pad to my mobile.I can do it mobile to mobile ,but iPad doesn't seem to want to. Not too hot on this technology stuff.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2011, 03:53:57 pm »
I think perhaps the iPad doesn't like working with non-Apple products?

Offline dusty

« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2011, 04:41:58 pm »
Hi DaveR, oh is that what it is,that limits me. Thanks though.

Offline martin

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2011, 07:47:54 pm »
Apple and the like have, over the years, introduced all sorts of things in an attempt to stop people using their songs without paying for them,  I am not sure, but it may be that it is inbuilt software to stop any itunes you have purchased for that particular device being copied to third party devices.  I may be wrong, anyway, good luck, keep twiddling the knobs!

Offline dusty

« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2011, 09:27:32 pm »
Hi Martin, thanks for that, I've just got somebody with a bit more knowledge than me to do it, we synched with another computer then put it on disc then onto my mobile. I'm afraid this is beyond me but it's done now.but thanks for your reply.

Offline martin

« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2011, 10:42:44 pm »
Hi Dusty ;D really glad you got it sorted, trying to get two or more things to talk to each other is often a pain, I have long since given up.