Author Topic: National Health Service  (Read 100857 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: National Health Service
« Reply #555 on: February 23, 2024, 01:40:20 pm »
I have to admit I have nothing but praise for the English NHS that I have had dealings with this week.

During a scan for something else last year, at Ysbyty Gwynedd, a growth was found on my left kidney.  It was then investigated further and yes, cancer.  Unfortunately, although a local surgeon at YGC could carry out the removal there was insufficient backup, that's at a major hospital.

So, on Monday I was taken by taxi to London, had the kidney removed along with the cancer on Tuesday, and came home yesterday, again by taxi.  The service and attention I got in London cannot be faulted.  I lost count of the number of different people I saw, and also lost count of different nationalities, but all were always very pleasant.  The actual surgery was carried out by an Irish female surgeon who explained everything to me afterwards - it had not been as straight-forward as first anticipated.

This does beg questions of the Welsh NHS ... there was 4 months between confirming the problem and actually having the offending part removed, which had grown 15mm in that time.  Insufficient back-up in the theatre was the reason I was sent to London, the local surgeon suggested I write to the management to complain - and apparently there are 2 or 3 patients a week going from Wales to the same London Free Hospital as I did, plus others going to other hospitals depending on the propblem.

Whilst our beloved Senedd won't put money into the Welsh NHS they seem happy to pay for my taxi there and back, there was also the pre-op three weeks earlier.

No, they waste money on 20-mph stuff, farmers, trees in Uganda, Drakeford's helicopter trips and as for Lee Waters and Systrans, well no comment, along with a long list of wasteful projects  And they are still pressing on with spending "our" money onthese proposals.

Senedd really need a huge wake-up call.  I have been one of the lucky ones, there will be many not to be so.
[/b]

Dave, Glad to hear your operation went well, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

The rest of your post has left me speechless.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #556 on: February 25, 2024, 10:46:24 am »
Physician associate law may confuse patients, says BMA

The House of Lords is being urged to throw out plans for non-doctor associate roles to be licensed by the same body as doctors.

Under a planned new law, physician associates (PAs) will be regulated by the General Medical Council (GMC).

The British Medical Association (BMA) believes this could lead to patients confusing the different roles, which it says could have "tragic consequences".

The Department of Health and Social Care has been approached for comment.

There are about 3,200 PAs working in GP surgeries and hospitals in England, with 10,000 more planned in the next decade or so.

They were introduced to help doctors with their work - examining and diagnosing patients and discussing treatments with them - although PAs are currently unregulated.

Unlike doctors, they do not have to hold a medical degree, but they usually have a degree in a life science and have to undertake a two-year training course.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68384747

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #557 on: February 25, 2024, 11:28:06 am »
You can tell there's an election in the offing. Yes - there's a shortage of GPs, skilled nurses and a great deal more including actual hospitals. The big question is why this wasn't planned for.

The massive baby boom in 1946/50 has resulted in a correspondingly massive demand for hospitals and medical services. It's hardly a surprise. So who was in power from 2010 until now, I wonder?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Online Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #558 on: February 25, 2024, 11:46:40 am »
I wish that my living room temperature was 21C  because at this moment an electrical fault means that the electrics leading to the central heating boiler have been turned off and will hopefully be sorted out on Tuesday when the electrician comes.   So no hot water or central heating at this cold spell of weather.
We'll manage ok with a gas fire and a small electric fire and improvise on suitable clothing.      I did buy my wife an Oodie last year and she wore it last night and was as warm as toast
Quite honestly our expectations seem to increase as the years go by,  when I was a child we had one coal fire in the lounge and if it was cold the coats were put on top of the bed for extra warmth.  I can also remember drawing things on the frost on the windows and that was on the inside windows!
I also remember my best friend in the 1970's telling  me that during a very cold spell one Winter the flannel in his bathroom froze but he never complained about it because that's what life was like in those days

Online Hugo

« Reply #559 on: February 25, 2024, 12:07:02 pm »
DVT,   I'm sorry for all that you have gone through with your health problem and that you had to go outside of Wales to have it.  The important thing is that you have now had the operation and that it was successful and  I wish you a speedy recovery.         A  bit of rest and TLC and hopefully you'll be back in Bodnant later in the year.
I am on the waiting list for a Gallstone operation and they have advised me that it could be in England so I'm not too pleased about that but I'm not losing sleep over it because someone I know has been on that list for 4 years.      I have also been on the list for about 8 months for minor surgery on skin cancer but that will be dealt with locally thank goodness

Offline SteveH

« Reply #560 on: March 02, 2024, 09:44:59 am »
A TOTAL of 250 nurses and doctors will be coming to Wales under a new agreement between Welsh Government and the Kerala Government.

As part of Wales in India - a 12-month series of events celebrating the links between the two countries, health minister Eluned Morgan signed an agreement with the Government of Kerala to bring qualified healthcare professionals from India to work in NHS Wales.

During a visit to Kerala, Ms Morgan met with some of the nursing and medical professionals, and their families who will soon be taking up roles in Wales.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24156694.250-healthcare-professionals-india-coming-wales/

Data from the latest General Medical Council workforce report published in 2022 shows that a total of 4,843 doctors left the UK to work abroad between May 2021 and May 2022.

Online Hugo

« Reply #561 on: March 02, 2024, 04:27:47 pm »
I wonder how many Doctors were recruited to the Uk between May 2021 and May 2022?

This is Boris'  Pledge: 50,000 more nurses and 6,000 more GPs
The Conservatives promised this for England by March 2025.   Are they anywhere near this figure?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #562 on: March 05, 2024, 10:14:52 am »
Medical leaders support a planned increase in the number of physician associates (PA) in the NHS, but they warn guidelines must be clear.

The Academy of Medical Royal Colleges welcomed more PAs but the BMA voiced concerns that a new law risked blurring the line between PAs and doctors.

PAs assist healthcare teams and can conduct physical examinations and develop treatment plans.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68194718

Offline SteveH

« Reply #563 on: March 17, 2024, 09:57:53 am »
Need an op? The hospitals with the worst waits revealed

stats...... How are your local NHS services coping this winter?....Enter a postcode to find out, see link below

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68479414

Offline SteveH

« Reply #564 on: March 18, 2024, 09:45:01 am »
Betsi Cadwaladr chairman in 'trust, openness and understanding' plea
Dyfed Edwards wants to hold 'open and honest' discussions with the public about the future of health services in North Wales

It is 12 months since I first joined Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board as interim chair. Recently the Minister for Health and Social Services, Eluned Morgan, announced that I am to be the substantive chair of the Health Board going forward.

I took the decision to apply for the Chair position after considerable consideration ? the role is not without its challenges and requires significant commitment. I have served in the public sector in one way or another for the majority of my life.

I feel passionate about public services, seeking to create excellent and forward-thinking public services that provide support, assistance and guidance to the people of Wales. For me, this is part of the agenda to create a Fairer Wales and a way to enable people to live their lives to their full potential. Health, and the health and care system are an important cornerstone in this regard.

Read more .......... https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/betsi-cadwaldar-chairman-trust-openness-28809474

Offline SteveH

« Reply #565 on: March 20, 2024, 10:22:32 am »
'Pay dentists 25% more for NHS work' to stem exodus

Paying dental practices 25% more to see patients would help keep dentists in the NHS, the profession's leaders say.

The British Dental Association said increasing the activity rate from ?28 to ?35 in England would be just enough to stem the flow of dentists to the private sector in the short term.

They warned government plans set out in February did not go far enough.

But ministers defended the reforms and said they were working on a wider overhaul of the whole dental contract.

They said the measures set out in the dental reform plan last month had already increased payments as well as introducing premium rates to take on new patients and a ?20,000 golden hello for dentists to work in the areas with the worst access.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68608157

Offline SteveH

This decision will not help the situation at Glan Clwyd hospital............which will affect Conwy residents.........

Fury as health board revises ?40m Rhyl hospital plans over 'spiralling costs'
Denbighshire councillors say the move 'beggars belief' as the board insisted the project had not been shelved

"Spiralling costs" have caused the Betsi Cadwaladr health board to revise now "unaffordable" proposals for a new hospital in Rhyl ? but officials insist the plans have not been shelved. Angry Denbighshire councillors however slammed the board over the revelation at a scrutiny committee meeting this week, with one councillor branding the scaled-down proposals for the Royal Alexandra as "a waste of time".

The plans for a then ?60 million new hospital were first proposed around 13 years ago, but the project has remained frozen whilst awaiting Welsh Government funds. A business case was finally agreed in March 2021, and Denbighshire councillors again vowed to back the project in May 2023 with a motion supporting another full business case being made for the hospital.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/fury-health-board-revises-40m-28870281?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: National Health Service....Dental charges in Wales being hiked
« Reply #567 on: March 26, 2024, 10:12:27 am »
NHS dental charges in Wales being hiked by huge amount in days
Ministers have blamed budgetary pressures for the big rises

The cost of NHS dental treatment in Wales are set to rocket next month. Charges for some treatments will double as the Welsh Government looks to address ?extreme pressure? on its health budget.

From April 1, 2024, the three standard dentistry charges will increase to between ?20 and ?260, depending on the treatment required. The cost of urgent and out-of-hours dentistry will more than double to ?30.

Health and Social Care Secretary Eluned Morgan stressed that, for most treatments, dentistry charges in Wales will remain below those in England. She pledged that all revenue generated from the increased charges will be re-invested back into NHS dentistry services.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/nhs-dental-charges-wales-being-28881215

Offline SteveH

« Reply #568 on: March 28, 2024, 10:05:47 am »
Public satisfaction with NHS at lowest ever level, survey shows

Public satisfaction with the NHS has dropped again, setting a new low recorded by the long-running British Social Attitudes survey.

Just 24% said they were satisfied with the NHS in 2023, with waiting times and staff shortages the biggest concerns.

That is five percentage points down on last year and a drop from the 2010 high of 70% satisfaction.

The poll - the gold-standard measure of the public's view of the health service - has been running since 1983.

read more  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-68669866

Offline SteveH

« Reply #569 on: March 30, 2024, 09:55:27 am »
THE Welsh Ambulance Service has been awarded University Trust status.

The sought-after status has been granted by Welsh Government in recognition of the Trust?s commitment to develop its current and future workforce and to drive research and innovation.

As of April 1, the Trust?s new name will be the Welsh Ambulance Services University NHS Trust.

Chief Executive Jason Killens said: ?We?re delighted to have secured University Trust status, but this is much more than just a name change.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/24220345.welsh-ambulance-service-awarded-university-trust-status/