Author Topic: National Health Service  (Read 99937 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: National Health Service
« Reply #330 on: July 18, 2022, 10:23:43 am »
Ambulance delays could ? be cut at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd if a new building gets the green light, says the NHS. Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board has applied to Denbighshire County Council?s planning department, seeking permission to erect a new building.

Described as a permanent modular building, to provide an ambulance escalation facility at Glan Clwyd Hospital, the health board hope the facility will provide extra space, allowing for more patients to be admitted, freeing up ambulances and their crews. The cost of the building and its funding have not yet been revealed by the health board, but the planning application has now been registered by Denbighshire?s planning department.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/new-building-planned-north-wales-24504448

Offline SteveH

« Reply #331 on: July 21, 2022, 10:07:08 am »
Seems a good deal, 100 additional staff for 3 million  &shake&

THE Welsh Government has today (Thursday, July 21) announced that it will invest a further ?3 million to help improve ambulance response times in Wales.

The funding will also be used to recruit more emergency ambulance staff to help those most seriously ill or injured.

This additional funding will enable the Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust (WAST) to recruit around 100 additional frontline staff and introduce a new ?Cymru High Acuity Response Unit? (CHARU) service.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20293669.3m-funding-aims-help-improve-ambulance-response-times/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #332 on: July 22, 2022, 10:02:36 am »
Readers comments on the above story....

Our readers have been getting in touch with us to give us their thoughts on the ?3 million funding announcement. Some think the money could be better spent elsewhere within the health service ...

Katie Jane said: "Its the hand over to hospital that's the problem, if i had a magic wand I'd make ambulance admissions separate to walk in A&E, so patients are seen straight away, and the ambulances are available pretty quick again."

Nia Lloyd added: "More hospitals! It?s not rocket science. More ambulances won?t make more space in hospitals."

Sarah Taylor added: "It?s more beds and hospital staff that are needed."

Tom Davies told us: "Throw money at it and see what happens, the root cause of the ambulance situation is the staffing at hospitals and shortage of beds, ?3m for the whole of Wales is a drop in the ocean as far as money goes."

Carol Williams said: "Yes but not only the Ambulances. It's when they get to hospitals cause they haven?t got enough staff on A&E departments so patients are sitting on the Ambulances. Can?t win."

David Cooper posted: "I don?t think 3 million will be enough."            ref pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #333 on: July 23, 2022, 10:04:28 am »
A few years ago, I was in hospital and witnessed this situation, two elderly gentlemen had been there for three weeks waiting for acceptable conditions for them to leave hospital.

A recent article....
"CARE home bosses have warned the care sector staffing crisis is only getting worse and that it will inevitably cause more bed blocking problems for the NHS."

A second North Wales council has broken ranks with a fee setting group for care homes with a big hikes in the rates it will now pay. Care Forum Wales (CFW) has been pressuring councils in North Wales to raise fees which were lagging some local authorities in South Wales by thousands of pounds a year.

Earlier this year it left the North Wales Fee Setting Group ? which included representatives from the six local authorities in North Wales and the Health Board - in protest at the rates paid, with a pan region approach taken. Many care homes said they could not provide care at the rates being offered - particularly after the recent price spikes.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/second-north-wales-council-breaks-24556502

CONWY and Denbighshire County Councils have been slammed for paying ?unrealistically and irresponsibly? low care home fees by Care Forum Wales (CFW).
An investigation by Care Forum Wales (CFW) has revealed the local authorities are among the worst payers in Wales.
The figures are contained in a table published by CFW of the postcode lottery of fees paid across Wales.
They say the rates set by the councils were ?budge-driven? and were not based on the true cost of providing care.

Read more https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20300912.north-wales-councils-accused-stealth-tax-care-home-fees/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2022, 10:15:15 am »
Surgeons have warned of year-round pressure facing the health system in Wales, as waiting lists hit a record high.

Recent data published by Stats Wales showed 722,147 ?patient pathways? in May 2022.

The ?patient pathway? data covers the time a patient waits from their referral until they are admitted to the hospital for treatment. The data includes time spent waiting for any hospital appointments, tests, surgery, scans, or other procedures.

The data show there were 260,859 waiting nine months or more for treatment, which is an increase of 2,670 on the previous month.

Professor Jon Barry, interim Director for Wales at The Royal College of Surgeons of England, said: ?The NHS in Wales is facing one of its toughest challenges yet. An unprecedented heat wave, ongoing COVID-19 pressures and escalating backlogs paint a grim picture.

?We can no longer be under any illusion that NHS pressures are confined to the winter months. We face year-round pressures so a new approach is needed.

"We need to support our surgeons and the NHS? hard-working staff by increasing surgical provision. Regional surgical hubs, or elective centres, must be rolled out across Health Board boundaries in Wales to improve the pace of recovery.

"We urge the Welsh Government to separate planned care from urgent and emergency care. If they fail to do so, patients will continue to suffer.?

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20574359.changes-needed-tackle-waiting-times-wales-says-health-chief/

Offline SteveH

Re: National Health Service.......Dentistry
« Reply #335 on: July 27, 2022, 10:15:07 am »
I cannot remember the last time I went every 6 months ?

Most adults in Wales will only visit the dentist only once a year, instead of every six months.

Wales' new chief dental officer said the change allows dentists to focus on patients who most need help.

Andrew Dickenson also said it allowed practices to take on up to 112,000 new NHS patients a year.

But the British Dental Association (BDA), which represents dentists, said the plan looks like it's "been cobbled together on the back of an envelope".

Prof Dickenson, who has been in the post since April, said improvements in oral health mean routine six-monthly check-ups are "outdated".

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62306931

Offline SteveH

« Reply #336 on: August 03, 2022, 03:54:37 pm »
A second English hospital is to take some of north Wales' vascular patients due to the service's "fragility".

Some already go to Liverpool for surgery but now more could go to Stoke-on-Trent.

Betsi Cadwaladr health board's vascular services are at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd, under Welsh government targeted intervention following criticism.

The board said it faced "operational challenges" caused by staff sickness and recruitment problems.

Patients are already sometimes sent from Ysbyty Glan Clwyd, in Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire, to Liverpool.

cont  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62398345

Offline SteveH

« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2022, 10:17:24 am »
THE Chief Executive of the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, Jo Whitehead, has said it is ?most disappointing? that areas highlighted for improvement at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd have still not been addressed.

It comes after a report by Health Inspectorate Wales (HIW) released on Monday (August 8) gave details of areas in which the responsible health board, Betsi Cadwaladr, had still yet to make improvements by the time of a surprise inspection in May.

This follows "patient safety concerns" identified at the Bodelwyddan hospital earlier in the year, with an inspection of its A&E service back in March finding that vulnerable and severely ill patients were being left unchecked for hours at a time, and vital risk assessments were missed.

Read more  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20613611.health-board-unreservedly-sorry-letting-glan-clwyd-patients/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #338 on: August 10, 2022, 11:09:28 am »
Re above ...Sorry, but my computer reads 8 and closed brackets as  8)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #339 on: August 12, 2022, 10:13:52 am »
People 'crying out for more doctors not more politicians' as Senedd plans to increase member numbers
The Welsh Assembly is set to gain more MSs - but one reader argues its more doctors we need

A Daily Post reader has complained about the thousands 'languishing on waiting lists' while the Senedd plan to increase its number of members from 60 to 96.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/people-crying-out-more-doctors-24730647

Offline SteveH

Re: National Health Service...Llandudno Hospital
« Reply #340 on: August 13, 2022, 02:17:59 pm »
THE MS for Aberconwy, has urged Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board and Eluned Morgan MS, minister for health and social services, to ?unleash Llandudno General Hospital?s potential?.

This follows a visit to Llandudno Hospital, where she met with consultant surgeon Graham Whiteley, his team, and other medical professionals.

Mrs Finch-Saunders has long campaigned for more services and responsibilities to be given to Llandudno Hospital.

She was delighted to see the Bridging Service trial undertaken at the Aberconwy ward, and the operating theatre re-open.

?I would like to thank all the team at Betsi Cadwaladr for giving me their time at Llandudno Hospital.

?They are truly inspirational people and give me reason for hope.

?I have maintained for years that our local health facility is underutilised and has the potential to reduce pressure on the three major hospitals in North Wales.

?From listening to those who work on the ground this week, my view has been reinforced.

?What we need to see is the health board leadership and minister for health and social services take decisive action to unleash Llandudno Hospital?s potential.

?What greater sign of lack of priority given to our local hospital than the disclosure to me that there is a second theatre, but that it has sat unused since before the pandemic because it needs a ventilation system.   ........[Blxxdy disgraceful]

?Well, one should be fitted as a matter of urgency.

Read More https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20625557.aberconwy-ms-makes-calls-unleash-llandudno-hospitals-potential/

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #341 on: August 14, 2022, 11:54:17 am »
Roughly 55 years ago they were trying to close Llandudno Hospital permanently as they were building Base Hospitals at Bangor and Bodelwyddan.      My next door neighbour at the time was Sam Owen a nice guy and a lover of Llandudno, well Sam and another man called Fred from Llanrhos campaigned in all types of weather to save the hospital and thankfully they were successful
Why are they now not taking full advantage and improving the facilities at the hospital

Offline SAJ

« Reply #342 on: August 14, 2022, 06:32:51 pm »
Hugo, whilst exploring the content of local newspapers online at Find my Past some time ago and searching for ?Cwm Place? where some of my relatives lived,  I was interested to discover numerous articles/letters relating to Mr Sam Owen. He was indeed an ardent supporter of the hospital and also campaigned for the removal of gas storage tanks sited in Maesdu Road.

I was very impressed by his commitment to issues that were of concern to the local community and wonder if he received appropriate recognition for his efforts.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #343 on: August 14, 2022, 09:43:07 pm »
SAJ,  your family of Nain & Taid Thomas lived in a semi detached property which was no 34.    Adjoining them was my family the Hughes' at No 33.
Next door were two flats No's 32 and 31 and one was upstairs and the other down stairs and Sam at some stage lived in both the flats.  I have mentioned this before but will repeat it in case you hadn't read the piece.    Sam was a scrap metal merchant and he had a horse and cart and stabled the horse in his back garden in a stable he built from Fish boxes.   It didn't smell too sweet especially in the Summer. 
My Dad often borrowed the horse to keep the grass down in the back garden
Cwm Place was surrounded by fields in those days and it wasn't unusual for animals to wander into the street.   At the time Sam was living in the upstairs flat when a black and white cow ventured into the street.    Sam always kept his front door wide open and a group of lads, including at least one from the Thomas family rounded the cow up and drove it up the stairs.  At the time Sam was in the kitchen and opened his door to find the Cow in his lounge knocking every thing over
Many years later I read an article saying that although Cows can walk upstairs they cannot walk down them so it's a mystery as to what happened to the Cow
I believe that there is a plaque on the wall of Llandudno Hospital dedicated to Sam's efforts to save the hospital so it's a fitting tribute to a man who dedicated a lot of time to saving the hospital

Offline Hugo

« Reply #344 on: August 15, 2022, 09:38:04 am »
Just an add on from my previous post,    Sam was always the driver of the Horse and cart but a guy called Alfie who worked for sam used to walk the horse.
During the 1850's business must have picked up for Sam because one evening the lads from the Cwm Place area went to the Savoy cinema.    They would be Spud,  Derek, Jeff me and about half a dozen others.
Before the film came on the adverts appeared and I clearly remember the advert now.    It said " Sam Owen now changed over from horse drawn vehicle to motor vehicle" and when the Ad appeared there was a massive roar from everyone
That's how well Sam was thought of