Author Topic: National Health Service  (Read 98185 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: National Health Service
« Reply #315 on: January 08, 2022, 10:00:02 am »
The Welsh Ambulance Service Trust (WAST) has shared some of the most inappropriate and ludicrous calls that they received in 2021.

Call 1
Caller: Basically, I had a piercing a few weeks ago in my ear. Everything’s been fine but last night I woke up and the piercing had gone. I can’t find the piercing and it feels like it might be in my eardrum.
Operator: Right, OK.
Caller: Normally I would go to A&E myself but I don’t actually have any money. A lift to A&E would be amazing.

Call 2
Caller: My neighbour came here and she gave me a sandwich, cheese and tomato. Anyway, I feel quite sick now. I looked at the tomatoes and there’s mildew on them.
Operator: OK, is that why you’re requiring an ambulance?

Call 3
Caller: I was mucking about with my plaster cast and it’s coming apart. I don’t know whether to get a taxi or an ambulance.
Operator: From the information you’ve given, you require a more detailed assessment by a nurse. An ambulance will not be sent at this time.
Caller: Oh, you’re joking. Are you being serious?
Operator: We’re extremely busy at the moment.
Caller: I’ll get a taxi.

Call 4
Caller: I cut my arm, my arm’s cut.
Operator: How did you do that?
Caller: I sliced it on a piece of paper.
Operator: When did this happen?
Caller: About half an hour ago.
Operator: Is there any serious bleeding?
Caller: No.

Call 5
Operator: Tell me exactly what’s happened.
Caller: Basically, my mum drank apple vinegar but mixed it with water and lemon. Now she has diarrhoea.

Call 6
Caller: Oh, hi there. Basically, I’ve got my hand in a cast. It’s been in there for three weeks and I’ve got it wet.
Operator: OK.
Caller: It’s not an actual emergency, I just need to get to hospital.

Call 7
Caller: What it is, right, I’ve got different medication and I don’t know whether I can take these or not now.
Operator: What’s your telephone number?
Caller: I don’t want an ambulance, I just don’t know if I can take my meds or not.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/7-most-shocking-ambulance-999-22680706

Offline SteveH

« Reply #316 on: January 11, 2022, 09:53:59 am »
o help the NHS recover from the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, alleviate waiting times and reduce winter pressures, a further £12.5million has been pledged to support people to live independently following a hospital stay and help pharmacies support more people to stay well without needing to see a GP.

The funding will help relieve pressures on the social care system and pharmacists still feeling the effects of the pandemic.

Increased access to pharmacies will reduce pressures on GPs and other NHS services by encouraging patients to speak to a participating community pharmacist rather than their GP for advice and free NHS treatment for a range of common ailments.

“Simple things like visiting local pharmacies or minor injuries units for advice on minor health concerns, checking symptoms online using the NHS 111 Wales website or getting a COVID vaccine can make a high difference to our NHS and help people look after their health this winter.

“The funding announced today will help tackle the hospital and work force pressures within community services and social care by avoiding unnecessary hospital admissions and supporting people who currently cannot be discharged from hospitals due to insufficient care capacity return home.”

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19836973.funding-announced-support-nhs-minister-says-help-us-help-you/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #317 on: January 22, 2022, 10:02:26 am »
Update on meeting with the Llandudno Hospital Action Group (LHAG) to discuss a plan of action, in which Chairman Councillor Carol Marubbi committed to organising an LHAG annual general meeting.

Furthermore, it was agreed that the Health Board should look to undertake additional long term strategic planning to understand what staff they need in a year from now.

Mrs Finch-Saunders added: “I have long believed that Llandudno Hospital is being underutilised.

“It is incredibly sad that many constituents feel they have little choice by to choose to drive to Glan Clwyd or Gwynedd because the emergency department has been downgraded in Llandudno.

“I was pleased, therefore, to find support among members of the LHAG today that the list of responsibilities for the Minor Injury Unit at Llandudno should be reviewed to determine whether it can offer greater assistance.

“We also agreed that the Ambulatory Care Unit must reopen to patients at the earliest possible opportunity.

“Part of the problem in expanding any provision at the site is an entrenched recruitment crisis.

“This is why I will continue to urge the Welsh Government to plant the seeds for beanstalk-sized growth in recruitment through maximising the potential of a North Wales Medical School.”

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19866216.aberconwy-ms-backs-plans-restore-services-llandudno-general-hospital/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #318 on: February 01, 2022, 03:47:23 pm »
JANET Finch-Saunders MS for Aberconwy visited Craig Y Don Medical Practice in Llandudno to learn more about the pressures being faced by primary care workers.

Mrs Finch-Saunders met with Dr Paul Emmett and Practice Manager Sue Fairburn, to further examine how to support the resumption of services at practices in the region.

The visit highlighted how the surgery have implemented a new telephone system to better handle the volume of calls that the practice receives daily, while they are also actively training their receptionists as care navigators which will help them re-direct patients to more appropriate services where required, such as opticians and dentists.

It was also outlined that services such as the Ambulatory Care Unit at the Llandudno General Hospital could be of great assistance to primary care providers as it allowed them to send those patients who required additional investigative work but may not need hospital admission.

“It appears that the reduction of these services have had a significant impact on our GP Practices, potentially and needlessly increasing number of patients admitted to hospital.

“Whilst I join with the Practice in welcoming the announcement of the new transitional ward at Llandudno Hospital, given that the scheme is scheduled to last only for 6 months, it is clear that it is merely a sticking plaster to a more entrenched issue.

“If we are to better address demand on our GPs, it is vital that the ACU reopens to patients at the earliest possible opportunity.”
(And stop the continuing depletion of local services)

full https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19887863.gp-surgery-visit-underlines-concerns-llandudnos-acu-closure/

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2022, 07:21:39 pm »
Where has JFS been all these years that they have been downgrading Llandudno hospital 🤔  Our once great Llandudno general hospital that had every service, and now it's like a cottage hospital and offices, she must be desperate for these local elections.

Offline SteveH

Re: National Health Service.....Health Warning
« Reply #320 on: March 26, 2022, 10:11:09 am »
A health warning has been issued for six parts North Wales ahead of a heatwave expected this weekend. Temperatures across North Wales are set to soar over the next few days, but health experts have warned those with certain medical conditions may be adversely affected.

The Met Office has predicted North Wales could rival Ibiza this weekend, with temperatures set to reach as high as 18C. However, Public Health Wales has warned that some parts of the region will also experience high levels of air pollution, which can be dangerous for those with health problems.

The air quality in some parts of the region is set to decrease on Saturday (March 26), which means people who suffer from heart are lung conditions are at a greater risk of becoming unwell. The areas set be be worst affected are Prestatyn, Rhyl, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno, Conwy and Bangor, according Public Health Wales.

In a tweet, Public Health Wales said: "If you have breathing or lung problems, a heart condition or are elderly, remember to carry and use your medication as needed." They also shared advice from the UK Air's Daily Air Quality Index (DAQI).

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/spring-heatwave-weekend-sparks-health-23500860?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline SteveH

« Reply #321 on: April 05, 2022, 09:58:30 am »
BETSI Cadwaldr University Health Board will be tasked with making £105m in savings over the next three years. 

At a health board meeting this week, the Integrated Medium Term Plan (IMTP) 2022/25 was presented to board members for approval.

The document sets out the health board’s priorities and objectives for the next three years, including a financial plan, which must be approved by Welsh Government. 

The associated report revealed that the health board has a budget of around £1.9 billion each year for 2022/23, 2023/24, and 2024/25 – or £1,874m, £1,870m, and £1,907m for each respective year. 

Board members discussed how £40m of Welsh Government funding had enabled Betsi to ‘break even’ and balance the books for the past financial year. 

But according to the plan, Betsi must find £35m savings a year for the next three years. 

The report, though, doesn’t detail exactly how the savings will be made, although opportunities for savings are listed in the areas of planned care, unscheduled care, mental health, and other. 

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20043720.north-wales-betsi-make-105m-savings-next-three-years/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #322 on: April 06, 2022, 02:55:41 pm »
THE unpredictability of Covid and future waves continues to pose a significant risk to the NHS in North Wales, says Betsi’s financial director.

Board members voted to back the Integrated Medium Term Plan (IMTP) 2022/25, which was presented at a Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board meeting.

The plan sets out the health board’s priorities and objectives for the next three years –  including £35m of financial savings to be made each year for the next three years – and will now go before Welsh Government.

But the pandemic and future waves of Covid are still seen as a major risk factor when adopting the plan. And board members heard how the virus is estimated to cost around £80m over the course of the next year.

The £80m cost includes £39m for the test, trace, and protect scheme, mass vaccinations, PPE, and long Covid .

The report concludes that 15% of people testing positive for coronavirus will have symptoms for 12 weeks or more.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20046765.covids-80m-cost-north-wales-health-board/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #323 on: April 26, 2022, 10:10:37 am »
Experts have highlighted the potential reason behind a concerning outbreak of hepatitis affecting children under the age of five.

Scientists have warned children are more at risk to the disease due to lockdown amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Speaking to the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases in Lisbon, Dr Meera Chand, head of infectious diseases at the UK Health Security Agency highlighted “something unusual”.

Dr Chand said: “Clinicians realised we were seeing something unusual… they felt this was exceptional, something you would very rarely see in this age group.

“So I think our leading hypothesis...would probably be that we have a normal adenovirus circulating.

“We may not have seen as much of it as we have for the past couple of years. But we have a co-factor affecting a particular age group of young children, which is either rendering that infection more severe or causing it to trigger some kind of an immunopathology.”

She added: “Co-factors include a lack of prior exposure of that particular age group during the formative stages they've gone through during the pandemic. Alternatively, a prior infection with Covid or another infection. Or another co-factor could be a toxin drug or an environmental exposure interacting.”

Hepatitis symptoms parents need to look out for

Hepatitis symptoms include:

– dark urine.
– pale, grey-coloured poo.
– itchy skin.
– yellowing of the eyes and skin (jaundice).
– muscle and joint pain.
– a high temperature.
– feeling and being sick.
– feeling unusually tired all the time.
– loss of appetite.
– tummy pain.

Most of the cases of liver inflammation were in children under five, though a small number of cases in children over 11 are also being examined, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said.

Of the confirmed cases, 81 live in England, 14 are in Scotland, 11 are in Wales and five are in Northern Ireland.

The cases are predominantly in children under five who showed initial symptoms of diarrhoea and nausea followed by jaundice.

The number of children who have required a liver transplant has risen to 10 in the UK. There have been no deaths, the UKHSA added.
ref pioneer

Offline SteveH

Re: National Health Service...BCUHB
« Reply #324 on: May 18, 2022, 04:15:39 pm »
THE Emergency Department (ED) at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd has been rated an area of extreme concern by Health Inspectorate Wales (HIW), with calls for Welsh Government to take immediate action.

On May 9, in accordance with its escalation process, HIW held a service of concern meeting to discuss the Emergency Department at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd in Bodelwyddan at which the service was considered and consequently identified as a “Service Requiring Significant Improvement”.

Areas highlighted for urgent improvement in the HIW report included “several patient safety concerns being identified”, and the report added: “During the most recent inspection (3-5 May 2022) we identified areas where the health board’s actions in response to the previous Quality Check had not led to improvement.

cont https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20147021.patient-safety-risk-glan-clwyd-amid-damning-report/

PS
BBC report

A health board watchdog has said a report into the emergency department at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd in Denbighshire is the "worst" it had ever seen.

The report by Healthcare Inspectorate Wales (HIW) has highlighted concerns around patient safety and says the department needs significant improvement.

Issues include "lengthy delays" in patients being seen by doctors.

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board said "it must and will do better".

In a statement, the health board also apologised to patients who did not receive the care they deserved.

HIW began gathering evidence at the Bodelwyddan hospital in January.

cont https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61495170

Offline SteveH

« Reply #325 on: June 08, 2022, 09:39:42 am »
Welsh Government intervenes at North Wales hospital due to 'serious' concerns
Ysbyty Glan Clwyd in Bodelwyddan is now subject to 'targeted intervention' measures

full story https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/welsh-government-intervenes-north-wales-24167389?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #326 on: June 12, 2022, 09:34:56 am »
North Wales GP pleads 'We're working harder than ever but the NHS is broken'
Dr Kate Davies has shared the realities of working as a GP following the pandemic

A North Wales doctor has responded to public criticism aimed at GPs in Wales amid record-high NHS waiting times. Dr Kate Davies, a GP at Abergele Surgery, said she and her colleagues are working harder than ever before but are facing unfair backlash over issues which are out of their control.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-gp-pleads-were-24195380

Offline SteveH

« Reply #327 on: June 13, 2022, 02:14:13 pm »
A bit of a follow up on the last post.....

How to get the most out a GP appointment - the do's and don'ts to be treated seriously
We're currently facing two social crises, health and cost of living

GP waiting times are on the rise and many in-patients haven't been seen by a doctor in person since before the pandemic. Since Covid-19 hit, everything moved online and over the phones in a bid to still accommodate everyone safely.

However, there have been reports of overworked GP's struggling enormously to provide adequate care and support to their patients.

They posted guidance and advice for those struggling to get an appointment, and when you do, exactly how to act and what to say:

Full list of do's and dont's  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/how-most-out-gp-appointment-24175131

Offline SteveH

« Reply #328 on: July 05, 2022, 09:52:26 am »
Welsh Government have revealed they are working on a 'specific workforce plan' to focus on the recruitment and retention of NHS staff.

Sam Rowlands MS for North Wales has called on Welsh Government to take measures to reduce waiting lists for hospital treatment, including addressing staffing issues in the region.

Read more https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/20255871.welsh-government-working-plan-address-nhs-staff-issues/

Offline SteveH

Re: National Health Service......... Precautions during the hot weather
« Reply #329 on: July 14, 2022, 09:55:58 am »
THE Welsh Ambulance Service is urging the public to take precautions during the hot weather expected this week.

Warm weather generates an increase in calls to people with breathing difficulties, and with 999 demand already high, and Covid-19 infections continuing to rise, the Trust is asking the public to take extra precautions to reduce pressure on the service.

Lee Brooks, the Trust?s Executive Director of Operations, said: ?We had almost 2,000 calls to 999 on Sunday alone, which is roughly one call every minute.

?We expect demand to remain high with the increase in temperature, so we need the public?s help to ensure that the pressures we face are not exacerbated by the weather.

?Hot weather means your body has to work harder to keep its core temperature to normal levels, and this puts extra strain on your heart, lungs and kidneys.

?This means that you can be at greater risk if you have a pre-existing heart or respiratory condition, like asthma or angina.

?It?s really important to keep cool and stay hydrated, and if you?re out and about, please look after yourself and those with you.

?If you do fall victim to the sun, take one of our NHS 111 Wales symptom checkers for bites and stings, breathing difficulties, hay fever and sunburn ? it?ll help you determine the best course of action.?

Protecting yourself in the heat
Drink lots of water ? it?s important to keep hydrated as you lose more fluid than you take in during hotter temperatures and this is especially true if drinking alcohol
Keep out of the sun ? it?s best to stay in the shade between 11am-3pm when the sun is at its hottest
Wear sun cream and sunglasses ? apply a sun cream of at least factor 30 that includes UVA protection and make sure your sunglasses have UV protection lenses
Loose clothing ? wear light, loose fitting cotton clothes along with a hat
Look out for others ? keep a check on those vulnerable to the effects of heat, especially the elderly, young children and babies and those who have a heart or respiratory condition such as asthma
Never leave babies, young children or animals in a parked vehicle ? temperatures can soar very quickly in a parked car, and children under two are particularly at risk of getting heatstroke or heat exhaustion
Take care around water ? always supervise children in and around pools and seriously consider whether open water areas (rivers, lakes, etc.) are safe