Author Topic: Pen y Bryn Uchaf  (Read 5545 times)

Offline robbo

Pen y Bryn Uchaf
« on: September 30, 2013, 12:45:09 pm »
Hi I am trying to find as much history as possible on Pen y Bryn Uchaf located just outside Bryn Y Maen its now known as Pen y Bryn Lodge. I know the farm was here in approx 1840 as I can find it on OS maps from that time. I am unsure if it is the house that is curently hear though, but I suspect it is.

here is a link to the oldest map I can find with refrence to it, its in the bottom left hand corner.

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~249326~5516574:79---Denbigh,-NW-Quad-

As I have never done this before any help/advice is greatly appreciate.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Pen y Bryn Uchaf
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 03:07:47 pm »
I don't know anything about the history of the place but if it's the one I am thinking of, the farm is midway between Bryn Y Maen and upper Colwyn Bay.
The road is particularly narrow with a bad bend just in front of the farm building.
A farmer called Robert Roberts ran it in the 60's I think and had two daughters Shelagh and Roberta. He left the farm many years ago.

When I went past it last time there was a name plate of Srawberry Mill on the wall so perhaps it has been divided into two properties.

Offline robbo

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 03:31:27 pm »
Hi Hugo thanks for the reply, Yes its been split into two properties and the farm itself was split up many years before that. The property Strawberry Mill is a mixture of old and new buildings and has recently been extended again.

I believe the two daughters were born in the actual house so I have been told and still live locally. The recent history that I have been told of is it became deralict in the 70s and was bought early 80s and done up. it was then split up into two properties mid 80s early 90s. It would be great to find when it was actualy built if possible firstly as its about to be extended and we would like to put a house building stone in with circa build date of original build and then the extension date and secondly I would like to build up as much detailed history of the place as possible to pass on to future generations.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:33:29 pm »
I've had a look in Norman Tucker's book "Colwyn Bay and its origin and growth"  but can find no reference to Pen Y Bryn Uchaf.

There is a Pen Y Bryn Isaf in Pen Y Bryn Road but I'm not entirely sure that Pen Y Bryn Uchaf was in the old Parish of Llandrillo Yn Rhos. It may have been in the Parish of Llansanffraid Glan Conwy but in any event the Conwy Archives in Lloyd Street Llandudno may have the information you are looking for.

Offline robbo

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 07:13:40 pm »
Thanks for looking, it seems I need to take a trip over to the archives, when I get there where do I start?

Incidently do you know when Pen y Bryn Isaf was demolished as looking at maps I cant see it on the road, it seemed to be a  U shaped building.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 07:58:32 pm »
Don't worry about the Archives Robbo as it is easy and the people there are helpful.    It's in the old school next to the Lifeboat Station and all you have to do is ring the bell and then just sign in.

There is no charge for the entrance and just tell the people what you want to know and they will help you.   It's open Mon to Thursday between the hours of 10.00am (except Weds when its 11.00am) and 12.30pm.    In the afternoon its open from 1.30pm to 4.30pm

Pen Y Bryn Isaf has not been demolished and is a lovely building inside, I know the owners who are a lovely couple and have been there a few times. 

Offline robbo

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 11:24:55 pm »
I guess it must just be old maps weren't that accurate of the actual buildings they showed. If looking at google maps, I shall drives down and see if I can spot pen y Bryn isaf. Another coincidence is there is a holiday cottage around the area when PYB isaf is also called strawberry mill.

Anyway I think I need to take some time off work and head down to the old school and see if I can find some history.

I found this link but it doesn't reference either PYB isaf or uchaf sadly. http://www.colwynbaycivicsociety.co.uk/assets/sept%2007.pdf

Offline dwsi

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:32:01 pm »
Here's a google search result for Pen y Bryn Uchaf in Bryn y Maen with a few interesting results http://bit.ly/1fDSJ3c

Offline robbo

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 11:57:54 pm »
Thanks dwsi that was the first thing I did when I started looking. Here's hoping one day when you search for it this thread will be I there too.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 08:57:17 am »
I guess it must just be old maps weren't that accurate of the actual buildings they showed. If looking at google maps, I shall drives down and see if I can spot pen y Bryn isaf. Another coincidence is there is a holiday cottage around the area when PYB isaf is also called strawberry mill.

Pen Y Bryn Isaf and Strawberry Mill are nearly opposite each other.    Strawberry Mill is a brown and white timbered building in the grounds of a much larger house.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 11:01:35 am »
Pen Y Bryn Uchaf is in the old Parish of Llandrillo Yn Rhos and I had another look at Norman Tucker's book and in it he mentions Vestry Books 1771-1834 and both Pen Y Bryn farms are listed in it.
Pen Y Bryn Uchaf is in the Township of Llwyd Coed
Pen Y Bryn Isaf   is in the Township of Rhiw.

It doesn't give any dates for the building of the farm but it must be pretty old.    The Conwy Archives might have the info that you need.

Offline robbo

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 04:09:44 pm »
1771-1834 we are getting closer. its 6 years older than the map I had evidence of it being here on :)

Which Norman Tucker book are you looking at I may get a copy.

I am going to try and go in the next week or two. I will let you know the outcome.

Rob

Offline robbo

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 12:31:13 pm »
I went down to the Archives today but sadly they dont have anything the house, they advised me to email Ruthin as they will most probably have any information on my property if there is anything.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 03:36:57 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that Robbo and hope that you have more luck with Ruthin.     That book by Norman Tucker was called "Colwyn Bay and it's origin and growth"  but to be honest there is nothing in the book that can help your research.
Shelagh may have been able to help you but I haven't seen her for years although she may still be in the area.
If I do come across anything then I will of course post it up on here.