Author Topic: Yorkshire House  (Read 4738 times)

Offline jane B

Yorkshire House
« on: September 12, 2013, 07:30:13 pm »
Hi,

Just learnt that one of my relatives was born 1901 at Yorkshire House, Ty Gwyn Road, Llandudno (from birth cert). Does anyone know what it might be called now?

Regards, Jane B

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Yorkshire House
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 08:51:52 pm »
One for Hugo and the archives me thinks.  $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:12:01 pm »
Thanks Blongb   $good$   

Hi Jane,  I'll have a look at the 1911 and 1914 street index in the Archives and see what's there.  Sometimes the names of houses change but we'll have a look next week.   Hope you're still well and enjoyed your family get together recently.

By the way, what was their name?

Offline jane B

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 11:31:20 am »
Hi Hugo,

Thanks so much for that. I am on the trail of Lewis Roberts, he is the only one of my Roberts clan that nobody in the family seems to know anything about. He was a bit unusual in that he was married in London and seemed to move away from the area a bit. He was a postman in Llandudno.
His son Lewis Price Roberts was born  in 1903 at 20 Kings Rd, which seems to be a Roberts stronghold!I have locted his death in 1971 to Barnstaple in Devon where he was a telephone engineer. His daughter Alice Gwendoline Roberts was born in 1901 at Yorkshire House, Ty Gwyn Rd. I assume it has changed its name by now.
It was a lovely meet up in August, we went to the St Tudno burial ground and looked at the graves together. Although having to climb up the hill I was nearly a candidate myself!!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 04:41:44 pm »
Jane,   I went to the Archives today and had a look at the Street Indexes, the earliest they had was 1911 but there was no Yorkshire House listed in Ty Gwyn Road.

That year Lewis Roberts the postman was living at 5 Jubilee Street and he was still living there in the 1929 Index.

If you have the 1901 Census records showing Lewis on it, we still might be able to trace Yorkshire House.   If you can see Yorkshire House on the Census then let me know the names of two or three houses before that entry and also two or three houses after it and that should pinpoint it.

Offline jane B

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 05:12:15 pm »
Hi Hugo,

Thanks so much for looking. Lewis in 1901 was at 7 Jubilee St with his parents and siblings. His wife Hannah was in Worcs visiting her sister before their 1st child was born. In between 1901 and 1911 according to 2 birth certs for the children they lived at Yorkshire House and Kings Rd before as you say being at 5 Jubilee St from 1911 onwards.
Don't worry at all about checking again, it is difficult when theses houses change their name from owner to owner! I just thought it would be good to know which one it was for a future visit.

Regards, Jane

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:09 pm »
Hi Jane,   I've just thought of a way of possibly finding Yorkshire House and it's no trouble really, it only involves me going down to the Library when I can.
I'll let you know how I get on after going there.

Offline jane B

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:10 pm »
Thanks Hugo I would be grateful but only when you've got a bit of spare time.

Jane

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 02:24:04 pm »
Hi Jane,   I went to the Library today but couldn't find where Yorkshire House was.

I had a look at the 1901 Census and could see your relative Ann Roberts of Ormonde Terrace but could not see a Yorkshire House listed in Ty Gwyn Road or any where on the Great Orme.   I double checked Ty Gwyn Road with the names of the people living there at the time of the Census but Lewis was not listed.    Sorry that I can't help you on this one.

Offline jane B

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 03:19:40 pm »
Thanks for trying anyway Hugo, as ever very grateful. It will have to remain a mystery!
Regards,
Jane

Offline Hugo

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 04:26:52 pm »
Jane, I'm still drawing blanks on this but have just remembered that Plas  Tudno on Ty Gwyn Road was once a Hospital. 

I don't know the history of the building but I'm wondering if Lewis was actually born there.
Your Roberts family certainly lived in that area at some time.

Perhaps someone on the forum can throw some information on the building when it was a Hospital and was it previously called Yorkshire House?

Offline jane B

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 04:42:28 pm »
Hi Hugo,

I can tell you don't like to be beaten!!! It was Lewis's daughter Alice Gwendoline that was born in 1901 that had it as the "where born" on her birth cert. Also down as the residence of the informant, Lewis Roberts father. They don't appear to have been there long as in 1903 they were in 20 Kings Rd.

Thanks for the thought!

Jane

Offline Hugo

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 06:32:46 pm »
On pg 10 of the Roberts Family link Emma mentions that her G Grandfather died at Plas Tudno in 1920.   

Wow thats super  :o
Plas Tudno was a military hospital where my great grandfather died from the effects of the gas in 1920.
When we were there a couple of weeks ago we found it on an extremely wet and soggy day !!
What date would you put on that picture ? and do you know anymore about the place ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 06:38:15 pm »
Further replies on pg 10 would indicate that it was a school in 1901 so perhaps it isn't the place we are looking for.     :(

Quote from: emma p on August 25, 2011, 01:44:11 PM

What date would you put on that picture ? and do you know anymore about the place ?

I'm not too sure of the date. It's difficult without seeing anything else in the vicinity.

Plas means Mansion in Welsh, so more than likely an affluent family lived there originally.

Based purely on the quality/style of the image, I would say 1920s-30s.

It was a private school in 1901.

A Mr. W.H. Reece of Birmingham built Plas Tudno as a holiday home.  He was certainly living there in 1855, as he paid for St. Tudnos Church on the Orme to be rebuilt.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 09:20:14 pm »
Hugo - W H Reece was a solicitor who created what was Chamberlains' in Trinity Square - some similarity in the buildings' design. Reece was one of the Improvement Commissioners.

His son in law was called Farrant, when he died Reece paid for the east window in St Tudno's church as his memorial.  I can't remember the wording but worth you having a look when you are next up there.

As far as I know Plas Tudno has always been known by that name.