Author Topic: Llandudno's Seagull Problem  (Read 40347 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llandudno's Seagull Problem
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2013, 11:17:26 pm »
there was a bloke holding chips above his head for the gulls to fly up and take them out of his hand just near  the spot were you took the photo Dave, there must have been sixty or more around his feet, it was the older gulls that were taking the food but how long before the young ones start to do the same.This was about six    (I think)   just as the cloud came over.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2013, 07:42:06 am »
CCBC can only bury their head in the sand on this issue for so long...

And we say they're no good at anything  :'(
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2013, 11:16:05 am »
there was a bloke holding chips above his head for the gulls to fly up and take them out of his hand just near  the spot were you took the photo Dave, there must have been sixty or more around his feet, it was the older gulls that were taking the food but how long before the young ones start to do the same.This was about six    (I think)   just as the cloud came over.

He must have been out of his mind ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2013, 09:40:23 pm »
I see people bringing bags of bread and other scraps to feed the seagulls every day on the pier.

I am usually alerted to it by that horrible guttural squawking scream that they make, when they are alerted to a feeding frenzy.

A few of the ultra-orthadox Jewish families were doing this last month, until I mentioned to them that if they were seen doing this, they would get a 'spot-fine' of £75.   That put an instant stop to it.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #79 on: September 02, 2013, 05:57:33 pm »
I see people bringing bags of bread and other scraps to feed the seagulls every day on the pier. I am usually alerted to it by that horrible guttural squawking scream that they make

Were they day trippers from Liverpool?

I always remember the horrible guttural squawking that used to emanate from the Kop.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2013, 06:14:35 pm »
 _))* _))*
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2013, 08:46:25 pm »
A slightly disturbing twist to this Seagull issue.

For the last few days the Conwy Hawks have been on the pier which have always kept the Seagulls at bay for the whole day.
But no longer!

Now, the vastly increased numbers of Gulls are brave enough to skim over the heads of the tethered hawks in a threatening manner.

They have either figured out that the hawks are restrained and therefore no threat,  or they are now bolder because there are so many seagulls in ratio to the hawks.  Whatever the reason, the balance of power has changed!

If I were responsible for the hawks, I would henceforth keep them out of harms way.
Fester...

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2013, 09:54:45 pm »
Just read this on the Daily Post website -  "SEAGULL RESCUE: Several people waded into the sea to free two seagulls apparently stuck in a net near Llandudno Pier off North Shore. Police alerted coastguards at about 5pm but by the time that officers and coastguards got there the birds were free and the incident was over."

Er, why?
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2013, 11:07:07 pm »
Good question Andy.

If I had encountered them trapped in a net, I would have taken them home and interrogated them intensely, regarding the theft of several ice-creams, and a very important cheese and onion pasty.

Fester...

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2013, 11:54:31 pm »
you forgot the assault and battery

Offline Minime

« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2013, 08:54:05 pm »
I dont remember them being this big as a kid, are they a different type now?

Offline 1_rob_1

« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2013, 10:33:28 pm »
Nah they're the same type - herring gulls .
They have just adapted to the times & are opportunists as they always were, but as people keep feeding them on the prom, they see any food displayed as a meal.
Its not the fault of the gulls - - Its the people that feed them that are at fault.
Examples : St Ives Cornwall - - They had BIG probs with seagulls pinching any food in sight. - - they made it an offence to feed them. The seagull numbers have now declined & the remaining ones are not quite as opportunist as the Llandudno ones.
Whitby north Yorkshire. Again feeding the gulls is a no-no.  A portion of fish & chips can be eaten on the quayside without much risk of gull attack.

LLandudno has not had as much problem with gulls as these places as they are both fishing ports - so if a no feeding policy was put into place & more importantly reinforced then surely the problem would be minimised.

Personally, I like the gulls, so in my opinion I would say leave them be - Its nice to be woken by the birds, even if it is 4am in the morn!!!       
If you live in the country the birds are awake & loud at 4am, & can still be vocal throughout the night.

CCBC Need to enforce a no feeding policy throughout the borough then in the whole this prob will be solved.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: September 29, 2013, 08:03:54 pm »
I can't see how a CCBC bye-law will prevent the gulls from stealing peoples' food (which is the main problem) or stop their increasing encroachment into the town with their nests, resulting in residents being attacked for several months of the year.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2013, 08:50:35 pm »
I can't see how a CCBC bye-law will prevent the gulls from stealing peoples' food (which is the main problem) or stop their increasing encroachment into the town with their nests, resulting in residents being attacked for several months of the year.

They could always employ a private security company to hand out fines to any seagulls caught breaking the bye-laws.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2013, 09:23:51 pm »
or bring in the flying squad