The Local > Local News & Discussion

Llandudno's Seagull Problem

(1/28) > >>

DaveR:
Over the last few years, I've noticed that Llandudno's resident gull population has become a real problem, and its one that is getting worse every year.

Their numbers are increasing rapidly, the noise they make at all hours of the day is horrendous (I've heard so many complaints from people, including visitors, this year) and their aggression/boldness towards humans is getting beyond a joke - how long will it be before someone is badly injured as a result of a seagull attack? It's practically impossible to walk down the Pier or along Mostyn St with an ice cream or sandwich without getting attacked by a  gull. The pavements are currently covered with splattered gull poo - it looks terrible.

So, what is the solution? A cull, pricking the eggs, replacing the eggs with replicas that never hatch, compulsory 'gull proofing' of all roofs to prevent them nesting?

Dont get me wrong, I like having some gulls in Llandudno,they're an integral part of a seaside town. But their numbers are now out of control and something does need to be done.

PS, please, let's have no nonsense about 'they were here first'. Llandudno was sand dunes before it was built, and gulls nest only on high places like cliffs.

norman08:
 i agree with you dave ,i am always telling visitors to be carefull ,yes they were here before us but not all over the town ,on the cliffs [the orme ],as you say someone will be attacked badly soon

Ian:
I quite like the sound they make but it's true there's been a shift in the population of gulls. Whereas once they used to concentrate mainly around the Orme, now Asda is a favourite rendezvous and they are quite aggressive.  Unfortunately, some visitors still insist on feeding them, but I suspect the worst time for attacks is in spring and early summer, when the young ones are becoming fledglings.

Bri Roberts:

--- Quote from: Ian on July 21, 2013, 10:03:55 pm ---Unfortunately, some visitors still insist on feeding them, 
--- End quote ---

Surely, any visitor caught doing this can now be fined £75 because it is no different to dropping litter?

norman08:
its not only visitors ,locals throw bread out for them ,its a pain when they dance on your roof most of the night, the seagulls i mean

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version