Author Topic: Old Postcards - Transport & Weather  (Read 77154 times)

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
Re: Old Postcards - Transport
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2012, 11:14:03 pm »
thought so

Offline Ludo

« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2012, 12:15:47 am »
I remember watching herons on the river Dee out of my office window during moments of wistful hiatus between designing Divisional Manager's monthly return form pads and the latest Setright stats reports. Ho hum - happy days...

While searching for more stuff from my Crosville days, I came across this scene - exactly the view of the Dee from my office window I was describing above - no herons that day though....

Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2012, 12:33:41 am »
I agree with Hollins, what a nice story about the Crossville bus.  Thanks for posting that and the other pictures, ME.

Ludo, the Dyfed Dragon is lovely!  I'm very glad you've kept all those things and are now sharing them with us. 

$thanx$

Offline Ludo

« Reply #183 on: May 22, 2012, 12:41:30 am »
Ludo, the Dyfed Dragon is lovely!  I'm very glad you've kept all those things and are now sharing them with us. 

$thanx$

Thanks Blodyn (and everyone else who replied) - I'll post more soon when I can find the time to search through the storeroom...

Offline Ludo

« Reply #184 on: May 24, 2012, 06:13:05 pm »
A new photo of an old car. Was Inspector Morse in Llandudno today?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Dave, I have just seen your post - and realised that someone has had the same type of Jag parked in our car park beneath our apartment block here in Nijmegen for the last two years - same colour, although a little dusty. British detective series are really well loved over here - especially Morse!. I will take a shot of it in the next couple of days and post it here...

...and here is the said Jag in our parking garage!. Note the graffiti written in the dust on the bonnet - now I wonder what heartless vandal could be responsible for such sacrilege....

Offline Ludo

« Reply #185 on: May 24, 2012, 06:30:10 pm »
Yes fantastic ME.
I have a nostalgic liking for Crosville buses having been a regular user in my school days in the Crewe, Nantwich and Sandbach areas. I also regularly rode PMT buses between Crewe and the Potteries.

And especially for Bellringer, the Crewe and Northwich timetable from March 1993:

Offline Ludo

« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2012, 07:05:48 pm »
....There is lots of other stuff from my Crosville/NBC days too - I haven't posted it yet as I didn't really want to clog up your fantastic forum with a lot of stuff about buses - but hey, if there is some interest - why not eh?

I have found this original newspaper advert from the week before the launch of the Dragon Coastliner service - the dates confirm Crisparmour's correction of my earlier post:

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2012, 08:42:51 pm »
Yes fantastic ME.
I have a nostalgic liking for Crosville buses having been a regular user in my school days in the Crewe, Nantwich and Sandbach areas. I also regularly rode PMT buses between Crewe and the Potteries.

And especially for Bellringer, the Crewe and Northwich timetable from March 1993:

Thanks Ludo, that's great. I never went beyond Sandbach so no trips to or from Northwich or points in between. I went to school in Sandbach, caught a Crosville from there to Haslington and then PMT home to near Alsager. It was a bit of a roundabout trip but there was no "as the crow flies" route.

PS I should point out that this was in the 50s - the 1950s that is!

Offline Ludo

« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2012, 11:49:44 pm »
Ok Bellringer - thanks!. I'll have a look and see if I can home-in a little bit closer to your route in my box of Crosville paraphernalia and report back....

Offline Ludo

« Reply #189 on: May 25, 2012, 12:09:11 am »
Found at last!

The Lodekka model was lurking at the bottom of a box in my storeroom and having had a good look at it again, I saw it was in need of a good touch-up. So I have replaced the windows (the original blacked out windows were a bit depressing), and other bits and bobs, edited out scratches and wear and tear and I post the restored model here. If anyone has any other requests/suggestions for bus-side adverts, let me have them and I'll paste them on and post a 'custom' version for you. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a competition for the best/funniest bus, and then put them all together for a small exhibition during the VE - just a thought...

anyway, here it is (a high res version is also attached in a separate post):

Offline Ludo

« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2012, 12:34:23 am »
Lodekka Kit - Hi-Res attached - (although the forum software will only allow a file size of 400KB, so it's not very high res). I could put a high res .tiff up on Sendspace if anyone would like one - that way you would be sure of the highest quality print...

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #191 on: May 25, 2012, 12:53:14 am »
I traveled by crosville from Wrexham to StHelens nearly every weekend for three years when i  was courting my good lady, it was a tanner (two and a half pence) from Wrexham to Chester, then a shilling (five pence) from Chester to Runcorn, a penny ( 1/2 P) over the tranceporter from Runcorn to Widnes and a tanner from Widnes to StHelens . I Can,t recall ever waiting for a connection, if it gave a time that was the time it left and arrived. Good old days.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2012, 12:57:21 am »
By the way the year was 1960 to 1963 and i don,t recall the prices ever going up in that time.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2012, 09:13:36 am »
Found at last!

The Lodekka model was lurking at the bottom of a box in my storeroom and having had a good look at it again, I saw it was in need of a good touch-up. So I have replaced the windows (the original blacked out windows were a bit depressing), and other bits and bobs, edited out scratches and wear and tear and I post the restored model here. If anyone has any other requests/suggestions for bus-side adverts, let me have them and I'll paste them on and post a 'custom' version for you. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a competition for the best/funniest bus, and then put them all together for a small exhibition during the VE - just a thought...

anyway, here it is (a high res version is also attached in a separate post):

Excellent! I've printed one out, just need to make it now  D)   $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ludo

« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2012, 01:06:57 pm »
Excellent! I've printed one out, just need to make it now  D)   $good$

Great! well done ME - don't forget to post a photo of it when it is ready.....