Author Topic: Margaret Thatcher  (Read 23994 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Margaret Thatcher
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:50:20 am »
Love her or hate her, we cannot let the passing of a part of British History go un-marked by our forum.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Margaret Thatcher
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 09:21:48 am »
Indeed. It's worth remembering that, despite being supposedly unpopular, she was the longest-serving British Prime Minister of the 20th century and was never defeated in a General Election.

And let's not forget she was inspired to take a up a career in politics whilst attending the Conservative Party Conference here in Llandudno at the Pier Pavilion back in 1948.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:39:42 am »
She certainly divided opinion. I don't think I had realised how much until I read some of the different reactions to her death.
This morning The Telegraph headline, "Baroness Thatcher: a champion of freedom for workers, nations and the world."
The Sun, "Maggie dead in bed at Ritz."

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 09:50:27 am »
The best leader we ever had without a doubt! RIP
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline dwsi

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 10:02:49 am »
 Rant mode on pause :-X  ;D

Offline romanjohn

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 11:55:57 am »
Rest in Peace.  Romanjohn.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 12:29:27 pm »
This did make me smile.

"I didn't admire Maggie Thatcher but, in death, everyone deserves their funeral to be what they would have wanted. So lets put it out to competitive tender and pick the cheapest quote". 

Rumour has it that the 21 gun salute at her funeral will be the first to be aimed at the coffin...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 02:10:38 pm »
She actually said something similar herself:

"Frugal to the last, Baroness Thatcher insisted she did not want a state funeral and said there should be no military fly-past over the service on the grounds that it would be a “waste of money”."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9980312/Margaret-Thatcher-Dont-waste-money-on-a-flypast-at-my-funeral.html

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 08:18:56 pm »
RIP Margaret Thatcher

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 09:47:36 pm »
Staff at The Ritz hotel suspect that Mrs Thatcher is already haunting the room she died in

The little cartons of milk for tea and coffee have started to disappear

Offline sam

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 09:51:49 pm »
I was a child of the 80's....I remember it to be an extremely hard time for so many which had a detrimental knock on effect of course. Some have never recovered.  &shake& (She said calmly-restraining herself.  :-X )
Still - Thatcher was a huge inspiration to many ............  :P

http://www.buzzfeed.com/angelameiquan/21-incredibly-angry-songs-about-margaret-thatcher

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 10:17:37 pm »
I was a child of the 80s too, we just got on with it. What people forget is that there was a worldwide recession during the 80s, it wasn't just the UK that was affected. Trying to blame all the problems of the 80s on one person is pretty ridiculous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_1980s_recession

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 10:33:18 pm »
I was a child in the 60s and saw the 3 day week etc etc, Margaret Thatcher had the guts to do what needed doing! Where would we be now without her?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline sam

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:10 pm »
I was a child of the 80s too, we just got on with it. 

Good for you. So did we - no choice though really . :roll: Anyway I'm merely recalling my own personal memories of the 80's and how I felt growing up as a child...yes it was a pretty bleak era but hey ho  ;) - I'm not looking to argue about who was to blame for the problems I or anyone else may have experienced at that time . And of course I hadn't forgotten about the world recession ??? ( bit patronizing ..again, hey ho) and who said I blamed anyone at all never mind putting all the blame on one person ??  I'm not being ridiculous... :'( I don't really understand politics most of the time - seems like most people are ****ed whoever is in power but again I'm not posting for a debate...sorry  :(

Thought it was worth pointing out how 'one person' inspired so many people to write such passionate songs about them......that's all.  Z**

“After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
(Aldous Huxley)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 11:48:42 pm »
Sam, please don't shy away from starting a debate, and never apologise for it.
This Forum exists for that very purpose.

In fact the subject of Margaret Hilda Roberts is a perfect subject to stimulate heated debate,  heaven knows she would have relished such a thing herself.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -