Author Topic: Nicknames  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
Nicknames
« on: February 20, 2013, 12:22:55 pm »
I happened to catch on Radio Wales this morning, an interview with a retired journalist who had written a book on nicknames, and of course people in Wales have long used this form to identify others whether they be tradesmen or other people they know/knew.

It therefore got me to thinking about one or two local ones that I had come across - the following are just a few and I am sure others on the Forum can add to the list.

"Bob I know" was Bob Owen who always said "I know" when you said anything to him!

Peter Box (I think everyone will know who that is and what he did)

Em the Crem

Keith Rolls Royce and Keith Mazda

Trev the Rev

Offline tonyf

Re: Nicknames
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 01:51:37 pm »
How about Wally Fag? 8)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 02:20:15 pm »
At one time we had a butcher who earned himself the name of " Just a little bit over". He always cut a piece of meat bigger than you had asked for-- trouble was he also did it with mince !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 04:13:10 pm »
                 I tend to think that nicknames that portray the trade, profession or interests of the person concerned are a particular trait of people who live in Wales, such as Ted-yr-Ogof, Pete the Paint, Billy Bricks, Norman the Foreman, etc.  I can remember drinking in various pubs in Llandudno over the years with people with nick-names like Gyn Satch (work rucksack), Gwyn Harlech (very patriotic), Micky Mecca (bookies), Gerry the Scrap, Mike Ambulance, Dr. Bob (hospital porter), Mike ASDA, Alun "H" (Hotpoint), Dave Shankly (supports Liverpool), Kenny Post (Royal Mail), Bob the milk, Tommy Tax (inland revenue), Tommy Tux (Tuxfords), Gwyn Donkey (don't ask!), Alun Beard,(only after he had shaved it off though!), Bob Butch (Butcher), Terry Butch (very macho), Tommy Carpets, Dave the Prof (teacher) etc.,etc., and many more too numerous to mention.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 10:05:47 pm »
How about this one (the mind boggles) "Norman kacky" He Lived across the road from me and i never new why they called him that. Any ideas?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:00 pm »
Don't forget 'Keith The Fish', Richardson the fishmonger immortalised on Conwy Quay.

Last year I had 'Micky the Bricky' working on my house!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 04:47:30 pm »
Jones the coal -Dougie Pierce Jones
Bill tank - lived on Wyddfyd with tank on poles in garden
Davy sausage - hope he was a butcher
Tranquility Jones - photographer with lots of children

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 09:14:28 pm »
In rural areas this is still prevalent - my husband is known as "Dave Troed-y-Rhiw" (even though I've never called him Dave!). Everyone I know in my 'neighbourhood' is still known by where they live (Conwy Valley). I rather like it! My favourite name for a neighbour from childhood is B***l's knackersyard - her opening line when happening upon her each day was "Me, I'm ready for the knackersyard".

Online Bri Roberts

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 09:49:09 pm »
Paula, why is Dave called that name?

Is it because Dave originated from Troed-y-Rhiw, just outside Merthyr Tydfil, or was it the name of the home he was born and raised in?

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 10:08:51 pm »

Is it because Dave originated from Troed-y-Rhiw, just outside Merthyr Tydfil, or was it the name of the home he was born and raised in?

No to all, David is known locally by the name of the house we live in now (as are most of our neighbours).

Offline DVT

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 10:14:43 pm »

No to all, David is known locally by the name of the house we live in now (as are most of our neighbours).

I'll have to remember that next time I compile a rally entry list !!!

Offline Paulakelsall

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 10:25:18 pm »

I'll have to remember that next time I compile a rally entry list !!!

Ha - I could thing of a lot worse names to be called and David says his rally name is "Dave Peugeot 205" since he replaced the car!