Author Topic: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno  (Read 89887 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: ASSETS to tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2014, 01:02:23 pm »
Hi B2R,        Just Googled Laser Quest, now I know!!!!! :roll:    what size area is needed, looks quite big.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2014, 02:17:24 pm »
You can have very big or quite small ones - I've been to quite a few. It doesn't have to be massive if the scenery and settings are good and you aren't playing with a couple of armies!

A room the size of a sports hall is quite sufficient for about 10 to 20 people at a time

Offline SteveH

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2014, 02:59:19 pm »
You can have very big or quite small ones - I've been to quite a few. It doesn't have to be massive if the scenery and settings are good and you aren't playing with a couple of armies!

A room the size of a sports hall is quite sufficient for about 10 to 20 people at a time
Sports hall, sounds quite big, where do you think you would put one? ....or are you back to the retail park!!! (not counting the Pavilion)      I can not think of anywhere in llandudno suitable, is parking an issue?

This is just for B2R        http://www.zonelaser.co.uk/     or if your interested in Laserquest.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2014, 03:24:57 pm »

Sports hall, sounds quite big, where do you think you would put one? ....or are you back to the retail park!!! (not counting the Pavilion)      I can not think of anywhere in llandudno suitable, is parking an issue?

This is just for B2R        http://www.zonelaser.co.uk/     or if your interested in Laserquest.

Thank you Steve for the link there's a lot to it - an area like Bonkers fun house for example would be perfect for laser quest as would the pier pavillion site - the old John Bright sports hall - Harvey's diner and similarly sized places would be fine. Parking might be an issue though you're right - most of these things are on retail parks often tacked onto superbowls.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2014, 03:45:09 pm »
You are right with the parking issue. Bonkers is a nightmare, especially at weekends. The roads are conjested with people who work in the town centre and also the contractors for the Travelodge. (weekends as well) Day visitors seem to be walking from West Shore these days.
Whereever-- whatever-- a car park on site would be sensible.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2014, 04:17:34 pm »
A Laser quest - and entertainment centre on that site - Now you're talking

In 2012, November, a virtual theme park was suggested which would have all that and a lot more:

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1386.msg53571/topicseen.html#msg53571

to be built on the Pier Pavilion site.  None of this is new.  It's simply that the investment required (and the compulsory purchase order) have never been forthcoming - and are unlikely to be now. Even Disneyquest has had its problems.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2014, 04:22:43 pm »
Well the parking issue puts my thinking out, and brings back whats happened to the Superbowl, why are they closing, my only thought now, is do you need this type of entertainment grouped together, ie if Bonkerz had opened up on the retail park, near the bowl with a Lazerquest , lots of space there, would that have worked, bit late now, but the more I think about it, it does make better sense.

Just seen Ian's bit, looks like grouped together was the plan.....

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2014, 04:45:01 pm »
Well the parking issue puts my thinking out, and brings back whats happened to the Superbowl, why are they closing, my only thought now, is do you need this type of entertainment grouped together, ie if Bonkerz had opened up on the retail park, near the bowl with a Lazerquest , lots of space there, would that have worked, bit late now, but the more I think about it, it does make better sense.

Why did bowling fail?

In my opinion, largely because it was too out of the way for tourists and too expensive for locals.
It was £6 for one game - that's about half an hours fun bit more if there's a few of you - to get a decent night out you want at least 3 games and that's £15. How often can locals afford to do this? (not including drinks on top) Not very often

Evidence - They did Wednesday bowling £2 a game promotion and it was packed every single week (You had to book early to get a lane)

They didn't do food - the retail park is out of town and not advertised well in the town, I doubt many tourists knew it was there!

Put everything in one massive place - especially on the pier and that place would make a mint

Offline SteveH

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2014, 04:58:04 pm »
Hi B2R,    Well I think we have covered it, from what you say, about the promotion night being a sell out, it was staring them in the face, they were poor business people.  Back to the drawing board for your theme park, and we keep pushing for the pier.

And talking of the pier,I was going to ask if there were any plans for more boat trips, seems a waste if the new landing stage isn't used, a nice business chance going there for someone, anybody know??

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2014, 05:16:55 pm »

There have been problems with parking ever since Bonkerz opened. The council would'nt allow any of the surrounding wall to be removed to allow for parking. Thus, obviously, the clientele will park as near as they can, including in the local hotel's car parks and in front of people's garages and driveways. What it will be like when Travelodge eventually opens is anyone's guess, 82 rooms will make a similar amount of cars need space to park. New signs have just been erected for the York Road car park saying that it is parking for the 'fun centre', but I really can't imagine parents wanting to chivvy their kiddies all that distance especially in bad weather.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2014, 01:17:52 pm »
From Lord Mostyn   Nov 2013
He said: “Five years ago things were really tough but things have improved again. You can definitely feel it in the last year or so. I think it’s an optimistic outlook for everyone. Everything in the last 12 months has been fantastic. Just talking about Llandudno you can extend it to other parts of Wales, it definitely has a lot of potential. But we never rest on our laurels.” A golf driving range is planned for instance.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/lord-mostyn-britains-13th-richest-6333851 

Anybody know anything about this?..   ???  the golf....

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2014, 01:46:45 pm »

Anybody know anything about this?..   ???  the golf....

Some years ago there was a plan to put a driving range on Bodafon Fields, but as far as I know, it never received approval.
Land owned by the Mostyns.
 ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SteveH

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2014, 10:38:54 am »
Amazing spectacle as the Tour of Britain makes its way through four North Wales counties on way to stunning finish
All eyes were on North Wales as the best in British and international cycling descended on the region for the second stage of this year’s Tour of Britain, with a stunning finale in Llandudno.
In the crowd Beverley James from Deganwy said: “For tourism, everything, this is what the town needs"
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/tour-britain-north-wales-thousands-7738984

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2014, 01:46:04 pm »
I wonder if Beverley James of Deganwy would have been quite so positive if she's been aware that the council had to temporarily remove a pedestrian crossing island to ensure that it happened.  Perhaps the Daily Post could inform her of this heinous crime and she if she still has the same opinion.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2014, 02:30:18 pm »
I wonder if Beverley James of Deganwy would have been quite so positive if she's been aware that the council had to temporarily remove a pedestrian crossing island to ensure that it happened.  Perhaps the Daily Post could inform her of this heinous crime and she if she still has the same opinion.

I don't think the issue is the temporary removal of said 'furniture' from the street but more to do with why the race organisers didn't pay the entire cost instead of money coming out of the purse of a council who seem unwilling to pay for things the locals deem more important.
Valar Morghulis