Author Topic: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction  (Read 96052 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with Llandudno Junction
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2012, 07:48:06 pm »
Being as i was walking past, I thought I would immortalise the Arriva/Crosville bus depot before it gets demolished or converted into something else. Does anyone know when it first opened?

Offline Paddy

« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2012, 02:36:29 pm »
Being as i was walking past, I thought I would immortalise the Arriva/Crosville bus depot before it gets demolished or converted into something else. Does anyone know when it first opened?

I heard on the grapevine that Waitrose are interested in the site. Has anyone else heard anything?

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2012, 12:15:32 pm »
I see from today's NWWN and DP that the proposal to build a big VAG dealership on the old Hotpoint site has been turned down - the local councillor saying that it would not create enough new jobs for the locals.

... so, I wonder how many jobs were promised for the Welsh Assembly building, how many people are actually working in the building and how many were taken on as new employees from the local area?

... or doesn't that comparison count?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »
I think the problem with the Hotpoint site was that a significant number of the jobs mentioned were just transferred from elsewhere in North Wales, rather than new jobs being created, which is a valid point, I think.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2012, 01:11:29 pm »
I think the problem with the Hotpoint site was that a significant number of the jobs mentioned were just transferred from elsewhere in North Wales, rather than new jobs being created, which is a valid point, I think.

So the site remains empty creating NO JOBS. Where's the sense in that?
Valar Morghulis

Offline DVT

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2012, 08:21:29 pm »
True ... some of the jobs would be for people transferred from other relatively local areas - but that is due to certain major dealerships losing their VAG franchises ... so the new dealership would be keeping those jobs in the area, along with a few new vacancies, rather than the people made redundant having to go elsewhere or join the dole queue.

You wouldn't expect any company to come in and all the staff be new recruits would you?

The Welsh Assembly promised, if I remember correctly, 900 jobs with many new vacancies for the locals.  How many actually work in there - about half that number.  How many are new recruits from the locality - very few, if any - most were transferred from other Assembly establishments.

Here is a major company willing to invest in the area and be turned down.  Seems any way of improving the area is seen as retrograde by those people we have elected to look after our locality.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2013, 12:39:05 pm »
Sad to say the Daily Post today reports that Johnny 'Pondo' Williams died on Tuesday after a short illness. He was 67.

Well known locally in recent years for his biking between the Junction and Llandudno and his eccentric 'dancing' on the roadside or pavement.

RIP Johnny

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2013, 09:47:18 am »
I heard yesterday that the Student Loans Company have taken over one of the wings in the Welsh Government building in the Junction as "paying tenants".  They previously had offices on Princes Drive in Colwyn Bay so I'm guessing they're just transferring jobs rather than creating new ones in the area.
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2015, 06:26:23 pm »
I've passed through the Junction a couple of times today where there was an event called the Trakz Busking Festival taking place.  There were musicians and groups performing in different locations through the village, a marching band all decked out in the kilts, circus performers and other events including a table top sale (I didn't buy one as our table already has a top) and a hog roast.  I even saw a mayor of some undetermined flavour.  The second time around I walked from one end of the village of the other and listened to about half a dozen live acts of varying quality.  My favourite was a three piece band (guitar, bass, drums) playing outside the Maelgwyn who did a decent version of White Room, the guitarist looked a bit like an accountant but he managed to sound reasonably Claptonesque.  At the other end of the scale was a woman warbling Vera Lynn songs outside the Mercedes garage either unware or unconcerned that her audience was comprised of one very bored looking steward.  There seemed to be plenty of people knocking about, or knocking back pints outside the pubs, and all in all there was a great atmosphere.  The weather played ball as well.

I have to congratulate the organisers on putting together a great community event and hope this becomes an annual event which goes from strength to strength.  If it's on next year I'll be leaving the car at home and joining the people outside the pubs  Z**.  And best of all they put together an highly enjoyable festival without having to introduce a single rip-off fairground ride into the equation  $thanx$.

Emo Philips

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2015, 06:43:07 pm »
Fair comment.

We took the bus over and spent a couple of hours there.

We also spent a pleasant half an hour in Marl Gardens (where the monkey hut used to be) watching the circus performers.

They were excellent and it was a joy to see the smiles on the faces of all the young children.

It is their first year and the organisers are to be congratulated on getting the event off the ground for the Junction.

I sincerely hope the event will go from strength to strength and we shall certainly be supporting it again next year.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2015, 10:43:33 pm »
My favourite was a three piece band (guitar, bass, drums) playing outside the Maelgwyn who did a decent version of White Room, the guitarist looked a bit like an accountant but he managed to sound reasonably Claptonesque..

That was my brother's band (he was on bass/vocals). Glad you liked them!  $thanx$
Valar Morghulis

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2015, 08:37:04 am »
My favourite was a three piece band (guitar, bass, drums) playing outside the Maelgwyn who did a decent version of White Room, the guitarist looked a bit like an accountant but he managed to sound reasonably Claptonesque..

That was my brother's band (he was on bass/vocals). Glad you liked them!  $thanx$

They were well worth the admission price  ;D.

Emo Philips

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2015, 09:26:03 am »
Good to see a successful event like this in the Junction.  $good$

Offline Dave

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2015, 06:52:19 pm »
On a visit this morning I was sad to hear Dr Jayaram has now only a few weeks left before he retires on 30th of September. I'm delighted for him of course but he'll be a loss to the community as he is a marvellous GP, running a small but extremely efficient surgery. He can only be described as a true gentleman.
I wish you well Dr Jay.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2016, 03:51:39 pm »
Plans for £40million supermarket development in Llandudno Junction set to be given green light

Representation has also been received by Conwy Council from Mostyn Estates Ltd and others.    I don't suppose that Mostyn Estates objected to the Co-op in Deganwy but perhaps they don't own the freehold at Llandudno Junction and that's why.
While the people in Deganwy I've spoken to are very pleased with the Co-op, competition could be a good thing for prospective customers in the area.

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/158204/plans-for-40million-supermarket-development-in-llandudno-junction-set-to-be-given-green-light.aspx#.VrNv58jV3GE.email