Author Topic: The 3 Towns Coffee centre  (Read 561249 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The 3 Towns Coffee centre
« Reply #1695 on: February 16, 2016, 12:53:11 pm »
Wind speeds are now up to 47mph and are likely to remain for most of the day.    West Shore should be ok today as the winds are coming from your neck of the woods Mull.

It must be hard at times for you living on an island especially during the Winter stormy season.  We had a day trip for a walk on Bardsey Island some years back and the weather was fine and sunny but some day trippers who had gone there a few years before us were not so lucky.
The 17 day trippers landed on the island but the weather turned and became so severe that they were stuck there for 11 days, no boats or helicopters were able to reach them because of the weather      :o

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1696 on: February 17, 2016, 09:26:20 am »
I've always been amazed at some of the drinks sold by coffee shops such as Starbucks; they seem incredibly unhealthy. Research has now, unsurprisingly, proved that is indeed the case, with some hot drinks containing up to 25 teaspoons of sugar per cup! Personally, I only ever have a small Latte with no sugar.  $good$

Millions of Britons are putting their health at risk by ordering hot chocolate and other trendy chai drinks that contain staggering amounts of sugar – up to 25 teaspoons – in just one serving.

Action on Sugar found that 98% of the 131 hot flavoured drinks found in the big high street chains would carry a “red” warning for excessive levels of sugar if the coffee shops were forced to label them.

The campaign group named Starbucks’s Hot Mulled Fruit (grape with chai, orange and cinnamon venti) as the worst offender. At 25 teaspoons of sugar it contains more than three times the recommended maximum adult daily intake.

Costa’s largest chai latte was found to contain 20 teaspoons of sugar, while an extra large Signature hot chocolate from Starbucks contained 15 teaspoons, double the daily adult maximum.

More than one-third of the drinks tested were found to contain the same – or higher – levels of sugar as a can of Coca-Cola.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/17/cafe-chains-selling-drinks-25-teaspoons-sugar-starbucks-costa-coffee

Offline hollins

« Reply #1697 on: March 01, 2016, 03:39:59 pm »
Are you all asleep this St David's Day?
Hope you are all having a good one anyway!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1698 on: March 01, 2016, 08:25:50 pm »
And to you Hollins, I had wondered what had happened to everyone !

All my pots of mini daffs are out on the front doorsteps, so we looked the part !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1699 on: March 27, 2016, 09:49:18 am »
Happy Easter everyone!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1700 on: March 27, 2016, 10:50:20 am »
And to you and everyone.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1701 on: March 27, 2016, 12:07:09 pm »
 $thanx$   And to you both, and everyone... $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1702 on: April 02, 2016, 12:37:02 pm »
Not all bad....
Children form human arrow to help police find burglary suspects

Police have released a video of a group of children who formed a human arrow to point a police helicopter in the direction of two suspected burglars on the run.
The group of 30 children and adults were taking part in an Easter egg hunt in Capel, Surrey, when they became aware of the National Police Air Service (NPAS) helicopter circling overhead.

The helicopter had been called by Surrey police following a report of intruders at a disused building.
A force spokesman said: “Initially, the presence of the police helicopter was enough to entertain the children and parents, but it didn’t take the intrepid residents long to realise they were witnessing a police pursuit.

“The children quickly formed an arrow on the ground in the middle of a ploughed field to guide the helicopter in the direction of the fleeing pair. The helicopter crew relayed this information to officers on the ground and a short time later two men were arrested.”

NPAS Sergeant Paul Sochon said: “I’m sure the last thing the group of daring Capel residents expected when they set out on Friday afternoon was to abandon their Easter egg hunt to assist us in a police search, but the initiative they demonstrated proved to be invaluable.
“The swift action taken by the group of parents and their children was the sort of thing you would usually associate with an Enid Blyton adventure, but their ingenuity proved a great help for our crews.

“The NPAS crew landed nearby to thank the children for the role they played in the incident and they even shared a few chocolate treats with the team, which was an added bonus after a busy shift.”

A 28-year-old man and a 27-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of burglary in connection with the incident.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/01/children-form-human-arrow-help-police-find-burglary-suspects

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1703 on: April 02, 2016, 05:35:16 pm »
Here is a Roller Coaster, where you are requested to not scream or shout !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-35919978
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1704 on: April 04, 2016, 05:39:16 pm »
   Just seen in this area. In my opinion one of the most stupid sights ever. A van. Painted on the front in very small writing "Smell Gas" and then a phone number. O.K so far. Apart from being virtually impossible to read from a distance.
   But ---  But, its all in a mirror image. Like FIRE on a fire engine. Designed to be read in an emergency and to get out of the way.
   So driver in front of this van smells gas, cannot read the number, cannot even legally use his phone etc etc

Offline mull

« Reply #1705 on: April 06, 2016, 11:53:56 am »
Just back on Mull after a flying visit to Llandudno. I had hoped for a longer stay as I want to investigate my family tree. It looks like my Nain's family lived somewhere in Brookes Street in the 1890's and I am interested in her brothers and sisters. Sure we are an old Llandudno family.
Reason for coming off the island was to attend a funeral in Chester and we stayed with Mrs Mull's sister in Frodsham.
Enjoyed our day out in Llandudno last Wednesday and even managed a walk with my dog around the Stock wall on the Orme. Was able to park at the summit free of charge, ticket machine not working.
From there we then went down to West Shore and parked in the car park there without paying. Was expecting to see big sand dunes after previous posts on here but none to be seen. Took another walk with my dog along the sea wall and was impressed, boating lake was full of clean water ,grass was looking good. Place was looking better than how I remembered it on my last visit 18 months ago.
Finished off with a proper Fish & Chip supper in Harbour View Restraunt in Deganwy.Nice meal and terrific sun set, West Shore and Deganwy at its best.
What has happened to the spell checker ?

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1706 on: April 06, 2016, 09:58:37 pm »
 Taking up with your grass looking good remark. Dealing with what used to be called parks and gardens from the council there has been a remarkable improvement in the last 18 months. 2014 and it was rock bottom. I work alongside some of the men "on the coal face" at least once a week. We talk. They tell me a bit of what is going on. Well done to them in difficult financial times

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1707 on: April 06, 2016, 10:35:01 pm »
 Here's a chance to have a good laugh at me. Just spent a good few bob on a new ipadpro. Brand new. Unusual for me. Scrolling around this forum to try it out I went to the topic "Privacy, Spamming and viruses". By chance I went back a page to July 1st 2014. A post by member "Walker."
  O.k. So far with my expensive new toy. Now you know the photos most of us have on our posts. On the left hand side, like a trademark.
  Ooohhhh, horror, my new toy has got an ant running around inside the case, under the screen.
  After a few anxious seconds calmed down enough to enlarge the screen and find out that Walker has got a tiny bird landing on his back.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1708 on: April 06, 2016, 11:11:04 pm »
   And just to frighten you all with bank card fraud. In the past DaveR said on this forum that I seemed to attract more than my fair share of unfortunate incidents. It think he is right.
   Around about last May I found out that money was going out of my bank account. Details. Payment to AIR ARENA. Not Hugh amounts. But I couldn't recall who or what air arena was. I am a bit hazy as well about this, it was in the height of my season that I spotted these and my time was fully spoken for up the Orme. But I got on to Barclays and they said I must change my debit card. So old card blocked, new card issued and I think I got some money paid back to me by the Bank.
  Now after a prolonged visit overseas during which time my pin sentry packed up so I couldn't easily see my account (I didn't try very hard, I was enjoying myself) I now look at my statements. On the 29th of each month £57 goes out to Air Arena. Going back to last October. I haven't as yet looked further back.
  So, I try to get on to air arena to ask who or what exactly they are. Find a webpage. Nice, glossy, based in Australia, all to do with SEO. Dave and Ian will now what these letters stand for. For any ignorant members (haha) it stands for search engine optimisation. The website had no postal address nor any phone numbers but a few different email addresses.
  Off go my emails. Back they bounce back. "Unable to deliver due to recipient refusing to accept any messages."
  Oh dear. Doesn't look too good. So on the phone to Barclays. After about half a dozen calls I was then speaking to their card fraud dept, for around half an hour at my expense.
   End. Result. My card suspended, new card on its way, and a promise that I will be reimbursed around £400 maybe rising if I manage to uncover any more payments out.
   So after the first scare in May Barclays then happily let them carry on with helping themselves to £57 quid every month despite a fresh card with a fresh number.
  My mind boggles. In my time working behind a bank counter it would have been impossible for anything like this to happen. With a standing order (before direct debits came on the scene) the customer just said I want to stop this payment, five minutes later the standing order was torn up and that was it. End of story.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1709 on: April 07, 2016, 12:00:38 am »
It beggars belief doesn't it??   they have benefited from all this money, and now you will be reimbursed, but the cost is still borne by all of us.
Multiply this by the millions of times that it happens, and you can see how badly out of control fraud really is.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -