Author Topic: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley  (Read 40375 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Everything to do with the Conwy Valley
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 05:46:31 pm »
On Tuesday we were driving towards Llanrwst when a steam locomotive, pulling seven coaches, passed us heading the same way.  We managed to make it to Llanrwst station (the crossover) to see it come in.  Called the Welsh Highland Explorer it had clearly been hired for the day and was full of enthusiasts. Wonderful seeing a steam loco on that  track.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2014, 08:35:31 am »
For regular travellers on the A470 between Llanrwst and Glan Conwy news that the current roadworks between Glan Conwy and Bodnant are only the start of the bigger improvement project slated to start sometime this year probably won't be welcome.

The WA (whose web page on road schemes is singularly uninformative and hasn't been updated since 2010) state that "a scheme is starting in 2014 covering a length of 3.2 km running towards the coast between the road just to the North of the Maenan Abbey and finishing at a property called 'Dyto'".  For three years there's been a test bed piece of road in the lowest-lying section, which can be seen from the train but not from the present road route. This was constructed to test the viability of taking out the awkward 'dog-leg' turn at the end of the narrower section of road running North from the Maenan before making a sharp right turn, followed by a less sharp but potentially more dangerous left. The test bed can be seen clearly on Google Earth at W 3 49'30" and N 53 11'49.92'.

[smg id=3255]

Earlier in February large numbers of trees were felled in the land immediately adjacent to the present road and the railway track, effectively commencing the process of widening the present road and creating a wider, smoother run, which will cross behind the current caravan parking area, seen on the right of the picture above.

It's likely that most of the scheme will not affect the current road, but the section to the South, with the first sharp right hand turn runs very close to the railway line, so that is likely to cause some issues.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 05:55:45 pm by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 08:57:38 am »
Another picture that I can't see, even on an updated iPad. :(
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 08:59:42 am »
That's interesting, I had no idea that test section of road was there. I wonder how susceptible it will be to flooding?

Givent the re-routing of the A470, not a surprise that the Maenan Abbey Hotel is up for sale!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2014, 09:00:25 am »
Another picture that I can't see, even on an updated iPad. :(
Its definitely a problem at your end, ME. It displays perfectly on my iPad, iPhone etc.  :rage:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2014, 09:08:46 am »
It's only some pictures, it happened with BT and still now I've changed to Utilities Warehouse, it's the same on Erindoors' Hudl. What can I change?  ???

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2014, 09:15:43 am »
It's only some pictures, it happened with BT and still now I've changed to Utilities Warehouse, it's the same on Erindoors' Hudl. What can I change?  ???
It's a very odd problem. I've adjusted your account permissions slightly, could you just check to see if it makes any differnece? Can you give me an example of a picture that is displayed correctly?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2014, 10:12:47 am »
That's it I can see it!  $thanx$   Cheers Dave!  D)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2014, 10:17:00 am »
The few pictures that I couldn't see before, well now I can!  $thanx$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2014, 10:17:11 am »
That's it I can see it!  $thanx$   Cheers Dave!  D)
No problem, the Bill will be with you shortly.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2014, 10:33:05 am »
The Bill? Any other emergency services with them?  :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2014, 10:45:18 am »
The Bill? Any other emergency services with them?  :laugh:
A Paramedic...to surgically remove your Wallet.  :-*

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2014, 10:53:13 am »
That's interesting, I had no idea that test section of road was there. I wonder how susceptible it will be to flooding?

Given the re-routing of the A470, not a surprise that the Maenan Abbey Hotel is up for sale!

Well, can't be any worse than the current work in Glan Conwy.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2014, 12:17:07 pm »
   I remember this little stretch of a trial road being built around about five years ago. Driving a coach every day along that road the height of the coach allowed me a good view (thought the driver should have his eye on the road Ha Ha).
   I couldn't make out what was going on. All I knew was a constant stream of lorries taking road ballast through a narrow entrance just north of the houses. And doing what? I couldn't figure it out.
   By chance a couple of years later a passenger on the train which goes right alongside it started talking about it and told me that they were placing this rubble onto the marsh land and then measuring how much it sank and how fast. He then laughed and said it had gone down two feet in the first six months, so they gave the idea up. Mike   P.S. Sale of the Maenan Abbey. I don't see why these road works would present a problem. Its well away from there.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2014, 12:40:44 pm »
P.S. Sale of the Maenan Abbey. I don't see why these road works would present a problem. Its well away from there.
That's the point, Mike. Once completed, Maenan Abbey's passing traffic will decrease by about 99%.