Author Topic: The 3 Towns Arms  (Read 250963 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: The 3 Towns Arms
« Reply #705 on: August 24, 2012, 08:07:33 am »
 _))*.  Viz covered this on Facebook, very funny!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #706 on: August 25, 2012, 08:47:22 pm »
A close friend of mine started working for a company called Bell Group (scotland) the company is sub contracted to the Council/Housing association painting their houses in our local area. 
My friend lost his 10yr old daughter and has since suffered bouts of bereavement depression.  He has regular visits with a bereavement councillor and is making great progress.  A couple of weeks ago he took a day off work but didn't inform the head office.  When he returned the day after he explained to the foreman that he suffered with depression, he hadn't phoned the main office but did text the foreman and explained his absence.  A meeting was arranged with the company management.  They were grilling him on his depression and didn't seem happy.  He received a letter through the post saying that  his work was not up to scratch and they were letting him go.  Nothing had previously been said about his standard of work and the foreman had only said 2 weeks beforehand how pleased he was with him.  Also when my friend confronted the foreman he said "what do you think I'm going to do come into work and stab someone" to which the foreman replied "well you could" can you believe that  :o.  Now the company is denying they had a meeting even though he has the letter. I can't say too much but he has proof the foreman passed comment on his depression and so he has enlisted a solicitor to help with his case of discrimination which the Solicitor is confident they will win.  His treatment by Bell Group is disgraceful and once this gets into the paper I don't think that CCBC or the Housing Association will be impressed either.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #707 on: August 26, 2012, 08:35:49 am »
Unfortunately, this sounds all too common, and epitomises the almost mediaeval attitudes some companies (and individuals) have towards mental health. Statistically, one in three people will suffer one form or another of mental illness during their lives, and - like any other illness - most of these conditions can be completely cured and leave the patient able to lead a totally productive life after treatment.  Some of the most talented, creative and brilliant members of society suffer from depression, too. It's worrying that such a stigma is associated with any illness and I hope he has every success in getting redress for this, Pen.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #708 on: August 26, 2012, 08:50:02 am »
The Bell Decorating Group is a well respected company in Scotland (and Nationally) and I feel sure that the gentleman will get proper consideration from them.   Unfortunately in large companies, such as Bell, some policies, decisions and actions are taken at a local level and often not in compliance with the overall company's interest.  Seems to me that such may have happened in this case.   I wish him well.   
££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #709 on: August 28, 2012, 12:39:30 am »
Sports official killed by javelin... whilst measuring a throw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19391807

I always knew that someday that was going to happen!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #710 on: August 28, 2012, 07:10:41 am »
Yes, I always thought how risky that was!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #711 on: September 16, 2012, 08:47:14 pm »
Statement from the customer at the next till this afternoon when I was in Farm & Pet Place on the roundabout at Abergele.

"I have just spent £192 with you and you expect me to pay 5p for a bag".

Outcome - a member of their staff helped him carry his purchases to his car outside but NO bag provided or purchased!!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #712 on: September 16, 2012, 09:07:17 pm »
Amazing. If he could afford to spend £192, then I doubt 5p extra would have mattered; especially being as the proceeds go to a charity of the retailers' choice in Wales.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #713 on: September 17, 2012, 07:53:50 am »

I've heard similar - almost always from visitors, where there's some confusion about the bag charge. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #714 on: September 17, 2012, 08:22:14 am »

I've heard similar - almost always from visitors, where there's some confusion about the bag charge. 

I've always thought it was a silly law & that they should be concentrating more on biodegradable bags or paper bags like in the US. Mind you, some places like McDonalds charge for paper bags too so it's hard to find an acceptable compromise to the situation.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #715 on: September 17, 2012, 08:28:20 am »

This happens frequently when I am behind the counter doing my Charity shop stint. People can be very nasty on the subject-- personally I agree with SDQ, but I am not allowed (by law) to give away bags-- but try explaining to some people .
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #716 on: September 18, 2012, 05:55:30 am »
Amazing. If he could afford to spend £192, then I doubt 5p extra would have mattered; especially being as the proceeds go to a charity of the retailers' choice in Wales.

What did he buy for £192 that could fit into one carrier bag?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #717 on: September 18, 2012, 08:36:44 am »
 ??? ??? ???
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #718 on: September 18, 2012, 09:58:00 am »

The horse whips and leather harnesses are quite expensive there......apparently. ;D

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #719 on: September 18, 2012, 04:58:15 pm »

Not sure but I think he went away with a large-ish package and the member of staff with several smaller items.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:09:50 am by Ian »