Author Topic: The 3 Towns Arms  (Read 251079 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: The 3 Towns Arms
« Reply #510 on: October 03, 2011, 08:30:47 pm »
   If only you could see into the future. Towards the end of the 1960s I was in a big way in cig vending machines, the turnover was absolutely terrific but the profit virtually nil. The absolute max profit you could get was 10 and a half percent, I paid the site 1 penny per packet commission and we had the job of stuffing the change into each packet, (my ladies called themselves penny pushers), delivering stock to the sites, insurance (major cost because they were always being broken into) fiddling and arguments about the packets----what a nightmare.  If they had made them illegal then, I would have saved myself a fortune.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #511 on: October 09, 2011, 07:08:27 pm »
   So, I am in the forum's pub. I feel like having a rant, and I suppose a pub is as good a place as any.

This should be in a letter addressed to the Daily Post but I rather doubt they would bother to read it and fairly certain they would'nt publish it.

I have always had a large appetite and anything to do with food always arouses my interest. Therefore I was a natural reader when the post started its weekly taste tests around about 25 years ago. I have read them most weeks since then but I have now decided to give it up, its just a waste of time and I know whats coming beforehand.

Have a look yourself.  Its full of "marvelous" "sumptious" "service fast" etc.etc.  Nothing is ever critisized and even if there is the faintest hint of any disapproval it is always offset my more praise i.e.  the soup was just a shade cool BUT the main meal was roasting hot and more than made up for this slight matter.

The whole page is nothing more than a glorious advert for the outlet.  Do they pay for it?  I wonder.

It did'nt use to be like that. Indeed, I remember probably about ten years ago they did one on a restaurant somewhere around the Northop area. I would bet my bottom dollar that first thing on Monday morning the owner would have been straight into his legal advisors to find out what he could do about it.  The report was terrable ABOUT EVERYTHING not just the food --- the service, the prices, the decour everything.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #512 on: October 09, 2011, 07:19:15 pm »
ormegolf, you may like to read this piece from the Good Hotel Guide newsletter this month.......

ISSUE 29 - October 2011 www.goodhotelguide.com

Travel journalism

No need to bribe or twist...
Most readers have no idea that when they read a hotel review in a newspaper that the journalist who wrote the piece will not have paid a penny. The bill for the room, meals, drinks, and often the travel, will be picked up by the hotel.
I have nothing against lubricating the wheels and the throats of the media. I once wrote an article for Punch titled “Confessions of a motoring correspondent”. This listed all the bribes I had been offered and had regrettably accepted on the dubious ground that bribing the Guardian's motoring was an absurd proposition.

I was promptly summoned by my Scottish editor, who told me through gritted teeth that the paper had a house rule that you could accept gifts only if they could be consumed within 24 hours. As sets of tyres, tape recorders, etc, did not fall within this grace period, that was the end of my days as a motoring hack.
I would therefore accept (before Private Eye points out) that my hands are not entirely clean. But what I do find worrying is how much of what is written about hotels these days is inspired and financed by PR companies. Readers need to read such stuff with more than a pinch of salt. So should the banks which have lost millions lending to dodgy groups (see the Von Essen article below).
This issue is rarely discussed by the media. But Liz Jones in the Daily Mail wrote recently: ‘Never mind about phone hacking, you need to know about travel journalism. All the holidays are freebies, and so the journalist dare not publish a word of dissent.”  This provoked Sally Shalam of the Guardian to write: ‘The great thing about travel writing for a British publication is that we pay for nothing and write what we want.’

Would that were true of all hotel reviewers. Some of the stuff I read makes me wince. Giles Coren in The Times was more accurate about the prevailing culture when he wrote: ‘I never take a freebie from a restaurant, though I have from the odd hotel, because that seems to be how travel writing rolls.’ As newspapers have become impoverished, they claim that they can no longer afford to pay their own way. But how many of their readers know this?

An exception to this freebie culture is the Sunday Times which next Sunday (October 9th) will publish a review of the Guide's latest César award winners. The paper paid the expenses of its travel journalist to stay anonymously at all ten César award winning hotels ( a very expensive exercise) to see if he agrees with our judgments. It certainly keeps us on our toes. More important, it shows that there is much to be said for working for a successful and profitable newspaper.

Adam Raphael

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #513 on: October 09, 2011, 11:20:00 pm »
There's been a lot of  publicity lately about Rhyl some not so good but people like  Sami Lee Brookes from x Factor now please don't think I avidly watch the programme, I was round at a mates and it happened to be on but Sami has a fantastic voice fair play and I can't help routing for her...I think I may even vote..... Jesus I must be getting old or maybe just delusional.
Were all guilty of laughing at the jokes about Rhyl same as we did about the scouser jokes and the Irish ones but I reckon a lot of money will be invested in Rhyl within the not to distant future.  On DaveRs property thread are two examples of very cheap buildings.  A shrewd developer should snap them up. 
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #514 on: October 10, 2011, 10:09:38 am »
Rhyl certainly has its good points as well as the bad ones. It's a shame that so much money has been spent badly in my opinion to try and regenerate it instead of focussing more on tacking the underlying problems of the underclass population that are imported into the town from North West England. You can have the best looking Prom in North Wales but if it's full of drunks lying around swearing and shouting, then families aren't going to use it.

The stalled Ocean Plaza development, the Childrens Village disaster that cut off the town from the beach, the underused Events Arena...the list goes on and on. Much remains to be done...

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #515 on: October 14, 2011, 08:52:06 pm »
   Thanks Hollins for that interesting post. Just confirms what I thought.

To change the subject completely (well this happens all the time in real pubs)

In this weeks Pioneer on Page 13 an article covers a book about the history of "the Tec'"  Quote:  which goes back to adult evening classes in Colwyn Bay at the beginning of the 20th century.

That rocked me back on my heels. The beginning of the 20th century?  Well I suppose you could say that is around 100 years ago.

I hate to say it but when I was around 16 or 17 years old I attended an adult evening class run in the then Colwyn Bay Grammar School which was run by a Mr John Buckland, a teacher at the school.

Shortly after this course was completed I heard that Mr Buckland had left the school to head up a new idea, a Technical College, across the road in a building which is now Bod Alaw welsh primary school.

Does that make me 117 years old?  I must go and check the mirror in the bathroom.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #516 on: October 26, 2011, 10:00:00 am »
I do apologise if this offends anyone I just thought it was really funny.

Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #517 on: November 02, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »
    Another rant.   No doubt many of you will be glad to know this is the last, I am going away in a day or two minus a computer.

Car Insurance Companies.   You know ---- the ones who always claim that they are loosing money every year by covering cars.

The industry appears to be highly competitive but I am not so sure, they certainly pass every bit of information on to each other.

Todays event. Around three months ago I changed my car. I had been with Saga for very many years but they didnt like my new car, wouldnt cover it because it had been imported around 5 years ago.  But quote "Our associated company might be able to help you."

So I end up with a company I have never heard of, claims to be a subsidiary of Liverpool Victoria.  Premium just about double what I was previously paying. I never received any correspondence, just lenghty phone calls at my expense and an insurance certificate arrived, so that was O.K. that was all I really needed.

Anyway today I tried to add my daughters name to the policy so she could drive it whilst I am away. I was passed from insurance company back to Saga, then a broker, then back again.  In the end I was told, No we cannot accept her because you state she is unemployed. I asked what difference does that make? The reply was because she was more likely to be driving around during working hours.

So what I want to know is if premiums etc etc are based on how much we are supposed to be driving around, how come the premiums are not now coming down seeing as there is a national reduction in mileage due to fuel costs?

To add insult to injury the man on the phone now said "Whilst you are on you gave me an incorrect address when I asked you so that I could identify you. Me: I didnt. Him. Yes you did, you said 6, *********** but you dont live there, you live at 6, Llanelian Road. Me: Well, I know damn well where I live, where I put head down every night, and that is at 6, ************, Llanelian Road.  Him: Well its not what we have got. Me: Listen, Llanelian Road is a long road with at least three estates on it. So there are probably around three different number 6s. No doubt that explains why I have never had any letters or policies from you, they have ended up in someones bin.

O.K. he says.  I will correct your mistake. Me: (now getting agitated). Not MY mistake kiddy, either your or Sagas mistake.

O.K. I'll correct THE mistake. Err, err there is a £25 charge for any alteration to a policy.   I explode. You can go and fish. I suppose if you had put my daughters name on the policy that would have been two alterations, shall I send you £50?

Any insurance officials reading the forum care to comment? I dont want to hear ANYTHING about costs of claims etc etc. I would just like to know whether the whole car insurance industry take their clients to be herd of ignorant cows to be milked every day

EDIT: I removed your actual address, Mike! DaveR
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:29:36 pm by DaveR »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #518 on: November 02, 2011, 07:53:25 pm »
You should have given up at the first hurdle!

Try a good Broker next time - often it can be cheaper and better than trying to "do it yourself"!

Wherever you're going have a great time! $walesflag$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #519 on: November 02, 2011, 08:09:43 pm »
I've used a broker for over twenty years but for the first time this year I sadly had to take my custom elsewhere as they just couldn't compete with online offers. I'm not just talking about a few quid either as I would have accepted that but when it's well over £100 different that's another matter. Also, the company who I've been with through the broker for the last few years (NIG) have completely withdrawn from the motoring market owing to the competitiveness of said market. I then found out that they had withdrawn from the house insurance market too when that came up for renewal so god only knows what they do now to make their money!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #520 on: November 02, 2011, 08:42:54 pm »
I personally don't use a broker and have always got a good deal online.  Considering my age, health problems and the cars I drive, I get a fantastically low premium every year.  I also get a decent reduction (circa 30%) due to my Advanced Driver qualifications. 
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #521 on: November 02, 2011, 08:54:49 pm »
I think you mean Advanced Motorist qualification. A driver is someone that does it for a living and in my experience it's never gained me a reduction in insurance, if anything insurance companies have tried to say a driver spends more time on the road and by the law of probabilities can be more likely to have a bump!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #522 on: November 02, 2011, 09:39:16 pm »
Mike Ormegolf, you have my sympathies... its like dealing with SKY TV,  a potentially life shortening experience.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #523 on: November 02, 2011, 09:53:51 pm »
  Yorkie, I'm not being nasty and I know you would never mislead me,  but at 7.50 p.m. you suggest I should try a good broker and, at 8.40 p.m. you state "I never use a broker."

Oh dear, did you have a sudden change of heart?  LOL

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #524 on: November 02, 2011, 11:12:30 pm »
Have a good holiday mike look farward to seeing you when you get back, Have you got your travel insurance ? lol