Author Topic: Signwriters and spelling  (Read 6562 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Signwriters and spelling
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 05:39:13 pm »
    I don't mean to be nasty at all, but ---- this is the first and last time I will ever query what I think is an error in Welsh spelling.   Mike

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 06:01:09 pm »
Mike, don't worry, it's been an interesting discussion!  D)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Tosh

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 06:35:17 pm »
I used to be Daffydd on Oscar's blog until some nit picker declared that I was appearing under false pretences because there should only be one f in Daffydd.
When I first came to Wales a new friend called me Daffydd and said did I mind.
No of course I didn't and I asked him how it was spelled.
He told me with two fs so that is how I did it from then.
Recently when I asked a friend how I should pronounce something she said, " however you want to say it as long as people know what you mean"
Tosh

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 08:08:54 pm »
    I don't mean to be nasty at all, but ---- this is the first and last time I will ever query what I think is an error in Welsh spelling.   Mike

It's a minefield isn't it Mike?

Also... Nemesis, that was just pure ignorance, 'reef' instead of 'wreath'.... love it!  _))*
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2012, 11:21:26 am »
Me too !!! _))* _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 03:48:37 pm »
Mike, I've enjoyed reading your posts and replying to them.  I thought that they were interesting so don't quit on us now, so if you see anything else on your travels just jot it down on here.
You've highlighted the complexity of the Welsh language with its various mutations and the fact that there is no neutral gender in the language. There's no "it" in the language as everything is either male or female.
As Tosh has quite rightly said "Recently when I asked a friend how I should pronounce something she said, " however you want to say it as long as people know what you mean"
As for spelling, does it really matter that much for the same reason.   My own Christian name was spelt incorrectly by the Registrar but it doesn't bother me as I've been called a lot worse in my time, especially when I played football!       ;D