Members' Lounge > Politics & Current Affairs

Signwriters and spelling

(1/5) > >>

Michael:
      I have always been a bad speller. Funnily enough, my computer spell checker does'ent like the way I have spelt sign writers in the subject panel but I don't care, a sign writer is an occupation and is one word in my book.
      However I also appear to have the ability to spot any else's mistakes from a mile away. The number of times I have seen a sign writer spending a couple of days with his paints and brushes and then to see a glaring mistake is unbelievable.
   Anyway, now we get into welsh politics.  In Belgrano a VERY large building project is about to start. Named, I think, in English "Village by the Sea."  Guess what? They have also been told to paint the Welsh version, so, here goes, the very first word, very large, very expensively painted for a big development         LAN.     Just in case anyone has just moved to Wales and is unaware, this should of course be  LLAN.
    Its on the left hand side heading towards Rhyl.  I wonder how long it will be before someone tells them.   Mike

Bellringer:
Spell checkers also insist that "Bellringer" is two words!

Yorkie:

--- Quote from: Bellringer on December 22, 2012, 11:29:00 am ---Spell checkers also insist that "Bellringer" is two words!

--- End quote ---

Schizophrenic Dictionary!     _))*

Hugo:
 Anyway, now we get into welsh politics.  In Belgrano a VERY large building project is about to start. Named, I think, in English "Village by the Sea."  Guess what? They have also been told to paint the Welsh version, so, here goes, the very first word, very large, very expensively painted for a big development         LAN.     Just in case anyone has just moved to Wales and is unaware, this should of course be  LLAN.
    Its on the left hand side heading towards Rhyl.  I wonder how long it will be before someone tells them.   Mike
[/quote]

I haven't noticed it myself Mike but if LLan is the first name then of course it should be LLan and not Lan.   However because of mutations within the Welsh language it can be mutated to Lan in some instances,  even on name places.   For example O Landudno ( of LLandudno)    ???
To be a bit more pedantic too, if it's written in Welsh shouldn't the LL be in capital letters seeing that in the Welsh alphabet LL is actually only one letter?
As a matter of interest what is the full Welsh name on the board.

Michael:
   On the board it reads   "Lan y Mor"      Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version