Author Topic: Thinking of moving to the area...  (Read 87409 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Thinking of moving to the area...
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2016, 11:59:01 am »
Indeed Ian,
Having visited Edinburgh a few times I can honestly say that it is my 2nd favourite city in the world.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Wrinkly48

« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2016, 07:08:42 am »
Edinburgh is definitely a fine city. I met Jan there in 1972 and visited the city regularly once we migrated to Fife. But it is not a place to live after spending 30 odd years in a town with a population of about 12000, with a river and hills visible in most directions. Hence our interest in Glan Conwy and the West Shore of Llandudno.  Add to that my love of Conwy Castle, the Great Orme and just walking along Llandudno pier. I won't mention the sense of space and cleanliness given by the largely wide streets and buildings not darkened by decades of traffic.   

Offline Moelycrio

« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2017, 06:58:42 pm »
Hello,

We're thinking of moving to Llandudno from Flintshire. We used to live on Lloyd St so know the area well as single people. We have two young children now so schools are a concern.
The Estyn ratings do appear to be little out of date. Does anyone have  view on which are the better primaries? A bit part of moving to town is that we want to be able to walk to most things, including school, so this will heavily influence where we buy.
Thanks
Stuart

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2017, 07:13:48 pm »
This site

http://www.schoolsnet.com/uk-schools/best-state-primary-school/top-conwy-schools/16180339/0/0/2/39.html

provides a list and some reviews but I would advise booking appointments to see the Head Teachers in those nearest where you're thinking of moving.  IN the WA listing, these Primaries were top rated:

Ysgol Deganwy
Ysgol Llandrillo yn Rhos
Ysgol Glan Gele
Ysgol Y Foryd
Ysgol Cynfran
Ysgol Porth y Felin
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Moelycrio

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2017, 09:31:50 pm »
Thanks Ian. We're only thinking about Llandudno town though, so more concerned with the respective merits of San Sior, Tudno, Craig y Don etc.
Good point about meeting the head teachers.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2017, 09:47:09 am »
Tudno is rated as Red - requiring immediate improvement, while your other options are Yellow - quite good but second in overall terms to the Green rated.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2017, 01:08:45 pm »
All the schools are quite different. You may want to select the one that matches your child's personality, or one that you think will encourage them to develop.

* Craig y Don has a lot of pupils in quite a small space.  It can appear a bit chaotic at times, but most kids do well there.
* San Sior has a modern building and good facilities.  It offers some interesting extras, such as chickens, lizard collect etc.  It seems to be quite popular among the slightly more affluent, and tends to have a waiting list.
* Tudno has had its challenges over recent years, but I don't know how it is getting on now.  It is quite a large, old building.  It has been under subscribed so may have a bit more space for the kids.

You could consider Bodafon.  A small school, which means you several years in one class. 

All feed to the same Secondary school (John Bright)

(I should point out I am a Governor of Craig y Don).

Offline Moelycrio

« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2017, 10:30:16 pm »
Thank you both.

We viewed two properties today within the catchment of San Sior, and also walkable, which is a huge plus.
Craig y Don looks a lovely school, but we're not currently seeing any suitable properties there.
Our son currently attends a rural school with tiny class sizes. Part of the appeal of Llandudno is larger classes and having friends who are not 3 miles away!

Seperate question - does anybody know the long term plans for the land currently used as a model railway at West Shore?

Thanks again for the schools info.

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2017, 02:30:17 pm »
Moelcrio - try their website http://www.nwmes.org.uk/

PhilMick

Offline Moelycrio

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2017, 11:04:33 am »
Hello again. Looks like only Tudno has spaces for this year, so our son will be going there. Seems to have improved a lot over the past few years.

We're looking at properties on The Oval. Can anybody point me to any history sites that might help? I'm looking for the year of construction particularly. I know The Oval suffered in the 93 flood; anything else I need to know? Thanks.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2017, 12:21:45 pm »
The Oval area is a nice residential area and it did suffer from flooding in 1993 but not all the properties were flooded.   A friend of mine lives in St Andrews Place and while other houses in the street were flooded he was very lucky and his didn't.
He was fortunate to live in a property that was on slightly higher ground.

Offline Moelycrio

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2017, 09:32:32 pm »
Any long distance commuters in the town?

Looks as though our move is going ahead, so I need to assess my options for getting to Manchester 3/4 days per week.
Currently takes me 1.5 hrs from Holywell (car plus tram) or 1 hour motorbike. Would be another 40 mins on top I guess. Train is looking like a better option as I can work or sleep. Season ticket is £4862.
Anyone else do similar?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2017, 04:36:14 pm »
My Mrs travels to Manchester once a fortnight for work reasons, and always uses the train.
It's approximately 20 minutes longer than she can drive it, but....
Very reliable time wise, no parking or queuing issues.
As you rightly say, she can also get a coffee and prep for meetings that way.
Let the train take the strain.  Am I showing my age there?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline daisy

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2017, 05:54:05 pm »
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me what the local social life is like in Conwy and/or Llandudno, especially off season? I like the new great orme brewery gigs and similar music/arts/events stuff. I am 36, single and dont have kids so still like to get out and about meeting people, so is it dead in winter or? I love the area and would like to move but dont want to feel too isolated for half the year if its highly seasonal.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2017, 06:49:48 pm »
It depends on what sort of social life you want.  The churches have quite a thriving scene, depending on which church, of course, there are also around three nightclubs and there are other more traditional pursuits, such as choirs, Rotary, Lions and Round Table. There are also various societies, a Bridge club, and the Llandudno Extravaganza is a year-long event in preparation, so they always need people, while the existing youth groups are always looking for helpers. 

So no;  it's not seasonal at all, and there's plenty to do, plus you'll soon make new friends from all the groups you attend.