Author Topic: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment  (Read 418212 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Colwyn Bay Waterfront Redevelopment
« Reply #735 on: September 09, 2013, 08:16:20 am »
Would that we could get such lucid, intelligent and honest responses to issues around the area from any County Councillors.  Thank you, viv;  this is eactly what this forum ought to be used for.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline BMD

« Reply #736 on: September 09, 2013, 11:11:47 am »
Thanks, Viv - that's very useful. And I agree with Ian - it's a pity we didn't get such clarity from the county council (eg regarding Porth Eirias).

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #737 on: September 09, 2013, 02:15:01 pm »
               Apparently Carwyn Jones has officially opened Porth Eirias today and a well known caterer (Bryn Jones)  will be taking over the running of the Café (or "Brasserie" as it will be known) and catering for "meals with prices to suit all pockets", according to the BBC Wales  news this lunchtime.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #738 on: September 09, 2013, 03:20:29 pm »
               "meals with prices to suit all pockets"

I have always wondered what this expression actually means.  Is there anyone out there who can translate for me?    ;D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #739 on: September 09, 2013, 07:34:14 pm »
               Apparently Carwyn Jones has officially opened Porth Eirias today and a well known caterer (Bryn Jones)  will be taking over the running of the Café (or "Brasserie" as it will be known) and catering for "meals with prices to suit all pockets", according to the BBC Wales  news this lunchtime.

I wonder how much extra money is going to be needed to install a kitchen fit for (Bryn Williams perhaps) and what revamping of the inside will be required. There are an awful lot of clever people who open 5* restaurants only to find what was really required was the snack kiosk that is to be closed down 200 yards away.     
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #740 on: September 09, 2013, 07:38:03 pm »
               "meals with prices to suit all pockets"

I have always wondered what this expression actually means.  Is there anyone out there who can translate for me?    ;D

I would have thought it was an impossibility to achieve that.
It implies that if a beggar walked in and ordered a meal, and Donald Trump was at the next table, they would both be satisfied with the value for money for the food received.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #741 on: September 09, 2013, 08:57:55 pm »

It implies that if a beggar walked in and ordered a meal, and Donald Trump was at the next table, they would both be satisfied with the value for money for the food received.

How did I know you'd play the Trump Card?    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Linda

« Reply #742 on: September 09, 2013, 09:52:33 pm »

How did I know you'd play the Trump Card?    ZXZ

or the Donald one - $donald$  _))* and manage to keep this new food outlet open during the wildest of winters Brrrrrrrr!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #743 on: September 10, 2013, 08:19:49 am »
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #744 on: September 10, 2013, 09:53:15 am »
I just can't see that the space allocated is suitable for an upmarket restaurant? It feels far too small yet not remotely intimate enough and who would want to go there out of season? I wish them all the best of luck but fear they have a very uphill struggle to make it work.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #745 on: September 10, 2013, 10:06:23 am »
I would have thought a basic cafe would be perfect there! Perhaps the very high rent means only an expensive restaurant could afford to be there? Look forward to next summer and holidaymakers going in from the beach only to find high prices! Seems doomed to fail!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Linda

« Reply #746 on: September 10, 2013, 11:55:01 am »
I think to have any cafe at the waterfront would be good and if the rents were kept lower for a while to give who ever takes it on a chance to get something up and running.
I noticed yesterday when i went for a walk along i was impressed with the facility  for anyone wanting to learn canoeing or sailing at a very reasonable price.
So I think it will be all ok when the building is put to better use.Whether it will be a wine bar or bistro. Most important is that the beach doesnt get washed all away during the winter storms, did notice the sea came up the new beach quite high this week and i dont have confidence the beach on the other side of the pier (toad hall side) will remain the same during the winter.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #747 on: September 10, 2013, 03:30:52 pm »
 At 2.30 this afternoon the Old Colwyn end of the prom was taking a real battering, as bad as I have seen for a long time. From the A55 turnoff I could see a car about halfway along with a wave completely over it, i.e. both sides, roof, back end and presumably the bonnet as well. The wind was from a nasty direction, N.E, but not mega strong by any means. From Toad Hall to the new development things were more or less O.K.
  I feel absolutely certain t hat at any other time in this situation the Old Colwyn end would have been well and truly closed. But I suppose today it might have been a tad embarrassing for the top council officials to do that only hours after the official opening of what is, essentially, a sea defence scheme.

Offline BMD

« Reply #748 on: September 10, 2013, 03:36:45 pm »
Interesting reading !!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-24013410

Interesting indeed. And the video at the top (news report by Chris Dearden?) is a good piece, mentioning the Carbuncle Cup nomination, but also looking at the positives of the new beach etc, as well as the new celebrity chef. I agree with Dave that it'll take a lot of work transforming the current sterile-looking interior into upmarket restaurant ambience.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #749 on: September 10, 2013, 05:33:47 pm »
it'll take a lot of work transforming the current sterile-looking interior into upmarket restaurant ambience.

And an awful lot of money. I just wonder who is going to pay for it?
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)