Author Topic: Mary Jane Davies  (Read 7392 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Mary Jane Davies
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 11:14:55 am »
Thanks Cambrian, I should have known Eleri was Welsh for Hilary!
The couple mentioned  as married are probably not the right ones though

Although the information doesn't quite fit, I've found an entry in the 1901 census at  Pengerddi,  Eglwysrhos  parish of Penrhyn for:

Hugh Davies age 46 general Labourer b Denbigh Abergele
Wife Elizabeth age 39 b Caernarfon Penmaenmawr
Daughters Maggie age 5 b Penmaenmawr
Elizabeth age 3 b Llandudno
Emma age 1 b Penrhyn

I wonder if "Mamie" is short for Emma?

It may be worth chasing up the Penmaenmawr connection re previous addresses and marriage etc.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 04:20:35 pm »
Dusty, I was looking in Ken Dibble's book "Penrhynside Houses and Families" and it's a fantastic read.  On page 37 it mentioned Penygroesffordd and I thought that the section on pg 38 may be of some interest to you. (see photo)

Offline dusty

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 02:31:17 am »
wow, you folks are incredible, this is brilliant, 1901 pengerddi , now we wondered what maimie could be short for. The other names and ages are promising. Hugh Hughes ,Hughes would puzzle me, as the only solid piece we have is my an aunties birth certificate.I try to gather snippets when I see my uncle.He believes there was another child of Hugh Davies called Helen who died at 16. My uncles mother died in 1983 aged 88,her death certificate said born Davies .I've looked at BMD and I can't find a birth for Margaret ,if I could that would give me a solid base to build from. I wonder about penmaenmawr ? I've concentrated on Llandudno . Ken Dibble's book looks like a very interesting read.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 10:53:03 am »
Dusty, from what you say and what Suepp has found out Margaret must have been born in 1895.  Your Uncle should know the actual day of her birthday though.

Offline dusty

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 08:51:03 am »
I'm going to see my uncle tonight , so I shall take him all this information and see if any of it rings any bells for him. his mothers birthday he will ,I'm sure know,but bmd and family search through up nothing. but I will see if I can get more details from him.if I could start with his mother and try and move back, but his memories are old.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 10:22:46 pm »
I had a look at the 1901 Census and saw the details that Suepp had found but I've just read Dusty's original posting again and she said that her Grandparents were Huw and Mary Jane Davies but the Census shows Elizabeth Davies so I'm a bit puzzled now.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 03:52:26 pm »
Dusty, perhaps you haven't read my last post as I am still confused over the Grandparents.  The children in the Census of 1901 are there ok but the wife's name is Elizabeth and not Mary Jane.  Is there any possibility that Mary Jane Davies was in fact Hugh's mother and there has been some confusion over the names?    ???
I can easily check earlier Census records but don't know when I can get to the Library next
By the way I did find a Hugh Davies and Elizabeth Davies buried in St Hilary's Llanrhos and they are buried  by a large tree but their ages don't agree with those Davies' on the Census, but I couldn't find any other Hugh and Elizabeth buried together.
The Hugh and Elizabeth in the Burial record were born in 1879 and 1878 respectively