Author Topic: Family Tree  (Read 2988 times)

Offline Gixer181

Family Tree
« on: June 26, 2012, 05:44:59 pm »
Has anyone got any pointers for starting to do family tree. i.e which is the best way, using internet sites like ancestory.com or simple trying to get some software for computer. as it seems price is dictates the service.
Thanks
rich

Offline Yorkie

Re: Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 05:54:04 pm »
Before you start searching the Internet, get as much information as you can from your relatives.   Some relatives will lead you to others and you will be surprised how much info you can amass before you need to trawl the net.
 ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Gixer181

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:04:12 pm »
Thanks for that, I recently have got hold of a suitcase of old post cards and information after my father passed away.So next stop will be my aunt and also the old family bible when we find it. I was just wondering the best way to collate the information.
 $walesflag$

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 06:22:16 pm »
We've just had our first go at a family tree and found

http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder?trn=ppc_google&trp=UK_EN_FTB_Search_New&trl=software&gclid=COrgrsS07LACFYcPfAodJ17FwA

really easy to use and I like the variety of forms of output you can produce from it. Also when you get to the stage of having a partially finished tree it allows you to publish it and does an auto compare against other people with the same or similar family history.

The other tip is use the local library they have free access to the two really good Family Tree research engines.

Find My Past and Ancestry.com

Offline mersey_dub

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 09:41:34 pm »
There are quite a few good sites worth considering. I started on Genes Reunited, where there is a great 'community' and I met many 'relatives' that way, all researching one or other branch of my family. But having decided Ancestry.co.uk possibly had the largest amount of relevant records available, I relocated my tree over there, which you can do using a Gedcom file.
Set yourself a budget limit. There will be quite a few seemingly dead-ends, where purchasing a BMD certificate seems to be the only solution to reveal a mystery parent. However if you're lucky, someone may have already purchased it, so its worth fishing round before getting the cheque book out too often.
While its fantastic to be able to pick an aged relative's memory banks, be careful- our great-grandparents would be good at witholding sensitive family information, particularly if there was illegitimacy or adoption involved. Even census records can't be taken as gospel. They are the transcribers interpretation of our forbear's often poor handwriting, so ages will not always be accurate, and unusual surnames will be frequently misspelled.
My final hint would be that family research can be very addictive, and in theory there is no limit to the amount of evidence you can gather, if you're patient. Be prepared to find nothing for months on end, then suddenly new information will appear, and you are off again! Good luck.

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:43:43 am »
I confess to being a genealogy addict and my advice would be as follows:

1) Ask members of your family for information. Draw up a list of questions to ask each of them. I have one as an example and can post this if it helps. Go round all your living relatives beofre it is too late!

2) Try to go to Record Offices and Archives to examine the original records. This is more time consuming and involves some effort but it is the best way of being 100% accurate.

3) Remember that online sources are not always reliable. The original records are the only safe source material.

4) Don't copy the work of others without checking to see if it is correct. You may be repeating their mistakes.

5) Websites as Genes Reunited, Ancestry and Find my Past now contain original source material, including parish records ( Find my Past has quite a few for Wales). These sites can be relied on more especially as you get to see the parish registers online.

6) Don't rush things, I have been at it for over twenty years and still going!

Good luck!

Helig.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:47:10 pm »
Helig, I agree with all your comments, great advice

I've noticed on Ancestry that some of my ancestors have been included on family trees (mostly U.S. ones)  bearing no relation to  each other - the tree owners have made assumptions without checking further.

If I discover a "new" relative on a census, I will check out the rest of the household, any marriages, the birth of any children, the marriages of siblings etc.  and of course death records - or if these can't be found - immigration records, making a timeline of events that link together

For example, I discovered my grandfather living with his aunt in 1901. It took me years to discover the origin of the aunt due to the fact that she had been married three times thus in her lifetime had four different surnames!

Offline Helig

• Management board member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 10:43:31 am »
The one thing I forgot to mention was to ask relatives for any old photos they might possess. These can often be of great delight and interest. It is wonderful to put a face to the name. Be careful as I have knold photos to be thrown away after someone dies, get there quickly!

Helig.