Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319930 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: National politics
« Reply #840 on: June 07, 2017, 07:06:32 pm »
Don't know how B2R lives in that little Ingerlund you call Llandudno! Full of Tories and ukip racists, bet you voted out as well! You won't be seeing as much of me and Paula in the future I'm afraid Fester. VOTE LABOUR!

Whys that Al? 
It's too rainy to vote for anyone tomorrow!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #841 on: June 08, 2017, 02:21:04 pm »
Al does make a good point. For such a massively White, British area we do have an awful lot of kippers and racists among us. Cornwall is the same.

http://www.ilivehere.co.uk/statistics-llandudno-conwy-22888.html

Perhaps its  down to age and the older people being more susceptible to the scaremongering stirred up in the press or just a general fear of the unknown (In my secondary school there was about four or five non white kids in a school of nearly a thousand) something needs to change though.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #842 on: June 08, 2017, 02:49:34 pm »
Given that this is the OFCOM regulation:

"On Thursday 8th June, broadcasters – and all media outlets – will stop reporting on any election campaigns from 12:30am. This will continue until the restriction ends at 10pm when polls close.

This will apply to TV and radio and print media. "

how on earth are the newspapers' headlines within the law?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #843 on: June 08, 2017, 03:17:14 pm »
I don't understand it at all. The Sun's front page this morning was frankly ridiculous.
I think all newspapers should follow the non bias ban that the BBC has had to and only then will we get a fair election.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #844 on: June 08, 2017, 04:01:55 pm »
I don't understand it at all. The Sun's front page this morning was frankly ridiculous.
I think all newspapers should follow the non bias ban that the BBC has had to and only then will we get a fair election.

If only life was so simple.  I've been a Daily Mirror reader for over 50 years and the articles in it are also ridiculous.      Labour can't deliver on all it's promises and the figures just don't add up or otherwise Jeremy and his ex Diane Abbott wouldn't have had such difficulty in explaining them.
The Labour manifesto is fairer and for the majority of the people but with someone like Corbyn in power there is no confidence in his leadership qualities and he's even likely to vote against any Labour proposal put forward.
As for the Cons, we know what is coming, cuts and more cuts

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #845 on: June 09, 2017, 08:31:38 am »
Well, I'm not unhappy with that. It's called democracy. Except Hunt kept his seat, that's a pity.

I wonder how that nice Mr Dacre is this morning......
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #846 on: June 09, 2017, 08:39:06 am »
I don't understand it at all.
The rest of us have been saying that for years....  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #847 on: June 09, 2017, 09:03:37 am »
Quite a high turnout overall.  Local stations seemed seemed busier than they have in the past. Good swap, though, getting Vince Cable back for Nick Clegg. Given the length of time we've had Tory dominance, now, it's a concern that JC didn't do better. But the maths behind general elections is bizarre.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #848 on: June 09, 2017, 09:55:50 am »
I feared a hung parliament, and I voiced that on here some days ago.

Now I fear something else, that the UK just became ungovernable.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #849 on: June 09, 2017, 10:57:32 am »
I feared a hung parliament, and I voiced that on here some days ago.

Now I fear something else, that the UK just became ungovernable.
Cheer up, man!  $good$

Offline Neil

« Reply #850 on: June 09, 2017, 04:53:38 pm »
Teresa May promises certainty, yes we are all certain that she's a pillock!

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #851 on: June 09, 2017, 05:32:10 pm »
She seems to be wanting to hang on for dear life. Not too long ago every man and his dog was chastising JC for hanging onto his job when he hadn't made any mistakes and had in fact improved the party. She has devastated her own party and yet still she won't resign.  &shake&

Offline Neil

« Reply #852 on: June 09, 2017, 06:41:58 pm »
I doubt if Teresa May has ever been in a losing position in her entire life, it will take her some time to get to grips with the situation. Unlike a lot of us who get that feeling nearly every week when our team lose!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #853 on: June 09, 2017, 06:51:06 pm »
She seems to be wanting to hang on for dear life. Not too long ago every man and his dog was chastising JC for hanging onto his job when he hadn't made any mistakes and had in fact improved the party. She has devastated her own party and yet still she won't resign.  &shake&

I doubt she actually wants to stay; most leaders in her situation are out the door pretty sharply. I suspect there's a lot of pressure on her from within the party to make her stay for the moment.  Possibly they want her to suffer - wouldn't surprise me - or possibly they want her to take the flack for a while until things calm down, at which point they'll get rid of her. Tories move in strange ways and very secretively.  A lot of plotting and jostling for position.   

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #854 on: June 09, 2017, 07:16:04 pm »
I do think May lost her own election. She was either badly advised or made poor choices. But it started in Halifax when she told voters the triple lock would go and their houses would be set against all their social care costs. Interestingly, what she proposed was better than what now exists, but the only words the voters heard were 'house' and 'lose'. It wasn't explained well enough.

But there is one giant question which all the pro-Corbynites haven't answered: if May was every bit as bad as many are now saying she was, how is it that Labour didn't wipe the floor with the Tories?

In case anyone needs reminding, Tony Blair in the 1997 election gained 416 seats for Labour. To show it wasn't simply a fluke, in the next election in 2001 he gained 413 seats for Labour. Incredibly, he then went on to win a third term. And I'd also remind the pro-JC followers that it was the Labour left that turned on the man who introduced the National Minimum Wage Act, Human Rights Act, and Freedom of Information Act in the first term alone. He wasn't perfect, but those applauding how well JC has done would do well to look at how well it can be done.