Author Topic: National politics  (Read 320220 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: National politics
« Reply #495 on: February 20, 2016, 12:39:11 pm »
Cameron announces EU referendum date

When the hype settles it will be interesting to see what gains Cameron has obtained for the UK and what concessions if any he has had to make to get them.
No mention seems to have been made concerning the migration from Africa and Asia.   The UK is not part of Schengen Treaty and does not have to abide by the treaty at present.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35621079

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #496 on: February 20, 2016, 03:29:19 pm »
The area around Venue Cymru was rammed today, and all parking spaces full in the swimming centre for the Labour Conference and the speech by Jeremy Corbin.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #497 on: February 20, 2016, 04:17:24 pm »
I wondered why there was so much traffic in that area when we went past this afternoon.  I thought that it was something to do with the torrential rain that we had at the time.
There was probably more water outside the swimming centre today than in it.    :)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #498 on: February 21, 2016, 07:09:53 am »
I've read some excellent articles in the past few days about the idiocy of Jeremy Hunt's 'Huntonomics', (is 'Jeremy Hunt' really rhyming slang...?) and the Government's ludicrous policies for the NHS. Both the BMJ and Private Eye have incisive observations of the shambles. One of the interesting points that has come out of the fracas is the little known, or reported, independent analyses that shows that 7 day NHS care will cost an initial £900,000,000 and require 11,000 more NHS staff, including 1,500 consultants and 3,500 doctors, not forgetting that every NHS employee will have to have their contracts re-written to provide for 7 day a week cover. (Obviously, it's not just the consultants, doctors and nurses that will have to cover 7 days, it's the drivers, porters, medical records, technicians, etc., in fact all NHS staff.)

Even more disturbing is the disgraceful manner in which Hunt has blatantly distorted figures, facts, and even death rates in a to try and justify his insane megalomania.     
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #499 on: February 21, 2016, 08:12:14 am »
I used to think he was merely out of his depth. Now, I think he's both evil and dangerous.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #500 on: February 22, 2016, 09:21:02 am »
is it not desirable to have a proper health service that does not rely upon you becoming ill on a weekday?  ?{}?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #501 on: February 22, 2016, 09:55:53 am »
Absolutely. But it's how he's going about it that raises concerns.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #502 on: February 22, 2016, 12:20:33 pm »
is it not desirable to have a proper health service that does not rely upon you becoming ill on a weekday?  ?{}?

If you become ill at the weekend in the UK you have access to what is arguably the finest (free) healthcare in the world. It is only the 'routine' services, i.e. none emergency facilities that are not available at the weekend.

What needs to be changed are two things; firstly the NHS should be taken out of party politics, where each party vie to make the most elaborate claims about how they are going to 'improve' the NHS with ridiculas agendas and misconceptions. Secondly, peoples expectations need to be managed with reality. The NHS is the fifth largest employer in the world with over 2 million employees, a current budget of £117 billion, approximately 9% of GDP. Bearing in mind that 7 day a week services will increase costs by some 40%, can the UK afford the endless spending, when, actually, we currently do have a magnificent health care system.

The NHS is a bottomless pit where money is concerned, and aspirations need to sensibly be managed.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #503 on: February 22, 2016, 12:28:43 pm »
If you become ill at the weekend in the UK you have access to what is arguably the finest (free) healthcare in the world. It is only the 'routine' services, i.e. none emergency facilities that are not available at the weekend.
Are you joking? I can speak from personal experience of a relative at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd that pretty much nothing in the way of treatment is provided at the weekend apart from nurse care. Barely a doctor in sight, no tests carried out, patients are just stuck on a drip and left till Monday.  &shake&

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #504 on: February 22, 2016, 12:34:26 pm »
Are you joking? I can speak from personal experience of a relative at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd that pretty much nothing in the way of treatment is provided at the weekend apart from nurse care. Barely a doctor in sight, no tests carried out, patients are just stuck on a drip and left till Monday.  &shake&

You're right, had a similar experience, sat in the Hospital from about 3pm with the baby (after being referred especially by the out of hours doctor) It was gone 11pm when a Doctor was finally able see him, for all of five minutes and sent us home. Doctors are EXTREMELY rare on the weekend. Neil Kinnock gave the right advice years ago, best not to get ill at all, but if you absolutely insist on it then make sure you do it between Monday and Friday  $good$

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #505 on: February 22, 2016, 12:57:02 pm »
Can someone point me to the analysis that says we need so many more resources in the NHS to make it a 7 day a week service. It has been mentioned here a couple of times, and I have heard similar elsewhere; but not seen any analysis.

Obviously there are more days to cover but no more patients. My logic suggests the overall resource requirements don't change much, just how they are deployed.

Thanks

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #506 on: February 22, 2016, 01:42:18 pm »

[/quote]

You're right, had a similar experience, sat in the Hospital from about 3pm with the baby (after being referred especially by the out of hours doctor) It was gone 11pm when a Doctor was finally able see him, for all of five minutes and sent us home. Doctors are EXTREMELY rare on the weekend. Neil Kinnock gave the right advice years ago, best not to get ill at all, but if you absolutely insist on it then make sure you do it between Monday and Friday  $good$
[/quote]

It's interesting to note that a singular experience at one hospital is enough to portray a generalisation of the whole of the NHS of England and Wales, and that experience is enough to make an expert in NHS Accident and Emergency Care. Of course it's not parochial. 

Offline Daihardwelshman

« Reply #507 on: February 22, 2016, 01:58:15 pm »
Having my family and recently  friends using the coronary heart centre at ysbyty clwyd, it has only been good fortune (if you can call it that)they had heart attacks
during the day as this facility is only open 9-5 monday to friday the reason for this is funding issues.

They were able to operate placing stents etc immediatly, however if they had been admitted after 5.00pm they would have been monitored over night
and seen the following morning, at a weekend who knows  !!!!!!! a ridiculous situation.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #508 on: February 22, 2016, 04:33:26 pm »

[/quote]

It's interesting to note that a singular experience at one hospital is enough to portray a generalisation of the whole of the NHS of England and Wales, and that experience is enough to make an expert in NHS Accident and Emergency Care. Of course it's not parochial.
[/quote]

http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/158893/plea-as-significant-pressure-experienced-at-region-s-hospitals.aspx

PATIENTS are being urged to consider whether they need emergency care due to a high level of demand at the region's hospitals.

Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB) said it is experiencing very high levels of demand at emergency departments at Ysbyty Gwynedd, Glan Clwyd Hospital and Wrexham Maelor Hospital.

Patients are having to wait "significant periods" in waiting rooms with ambulances also being delayed as a result of the pressure.

In a statement, the health board said: "We are doing all we can to maintain timely care for our patients but this is becoming increasingly more difficult at the present time.

"Can we please ask you to consider whether you need urgent or emergency care before arriving at our Emergency Units or calling for an ambulance.

"With your help and vigilance, it means that we are in a better position to provide the necessary care for those with true life threatening emergencies."

If you need further advice or help, contact NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47.

If you believe that your emergency is life threatening, dial 999.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #509 on: February 22, 2016, 07:58:44 pm »
I saw that item on the BBC News tonight.
Hospitals 'throughout Wales' are extremely busy at present, and people are being urged to stay away if at all possible.

There was no detail or reasons given, it was strange to say the least.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -