Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319801 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: National politics
« Reply #465 on: December 23, 2015, 02:29:34 pm »
Bosun, am I missing something?            Was there a link attached to Ian's statement?

The word 'This' is a hyperlink.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #466 on: December 23, 2015, 03:01:06 pm »
Bosun, am I missing something?            Was there a link attached to Ian's statement?

The word 'This' is a hyperlink.

Thanks  SDQ      :-[     

It stinks,  talk about pigs having their snout in the trough.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #467 on: December 23, 2015, 03:10:18 pm »
I was watching a TV programme earlier in the week about Uber Taxis and that created a stink too.    All perfectly legal but the receIpts for the taxi fares displayed a country other than the UK.    Something similar to what  Amazon and a host of other large companies are doing.
Will the Cons do anything about it?      The answer is definitely no but it may crop up in their next manifesto in 2020 or thereabouts.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uber-paid-no-corporation-tax-in-the-uk-last-year-a6701286.html

Uber is under fire for paying no corporation tax in the UK on profits made in 2014
Uber in London paid no UK corporation tax on the £866,302 profits it made in the UK in 2014, according to the company’s accounts. The accounts show that the company did, however, book £22,134 tax charge for the year  – which a spokesman said was deferred taxation relating to previous years.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #468 on: January 02, 2016, 10:42:15 pm »
Ukip leader Nigel Farage careered off a French motorway after a wheel of his car fell off. French police confirmed that the nuts on all four of the wheels had been deliberately unscrewed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3382294/Nigel-Farage-s-car-wheels-sabotaged-assassination-attempt-Ukip-leader-lost-control-Volvo-wheel-fell-motorway-police-confirm-foul-play.html

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #469 on: January 03, 2016, 12:43:53 pm »

Ukip leader Nigel Farage careered off a French motorway after a wheel of his car fell off. French police confirmed that the nuts on all four of the wheels had been deliberately unscrewed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3382294/Nigel-Farage-s-car-wheels-sabotaged-assassination-attempt-Ukip-leader-lost-control-Volvo-wheel-fell-motorway-police-confirm-foul-play.html

How are the French police ever going to interview several million suspects?
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #470 on: January 03, 2016, 03:00:50 pm »
That could be a problem, but at least 3.8 million people in the UK would be interested to know the facts

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #471 on: January 03, 2016, 08:02:38 pm »
That could be a problem, but at least 3.8 million people in the UK would be interested to know the facts

They may well be interested, but it's doubtful that they would believe facts.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline squiggle

« Reply #472 on: January 04, 2016, 10:34:29 am »

Short of hard proof, eg. someone caught on cctv, I don't know how one would find out if anything sinister did happen. Whatever, I would be inclined to think that with an event like this, there would always be some who view it as an assassination attempt and others viewing it as an attempt to capitalise of something that "just happened".

I've spent a bit of time looking through google for loose wheel nuts this morning and read a few of the reports/discussions etc.  The only other one I stumbled on where an assassination attempt was suggested involved another UK politician, Labour's John Mann - see http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2192796/Labour-MP-John-Mann-fears-life-car-wheels-sabotaged.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

For the rest, the most common suggested reasons are incorrect tightening procedures following wheel fitting and (not that I recall us ever having done this...) and failure to get the wheel nut torques re checked after a prescribed time (eg. 100 miles) following the fitting of a wheel.  Other "culprits" seem to be corrosion, wheel paint wearing thin and knocks, eg. hitting the kerb.

I have also read suggestions that just one loose wheel nut can lead to the others coming loose or to the breakage of studs because of the extra stresses placed on them.

For me at the moment, I guess I try to keep an open mind and wait to see if anything else comes to light.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #473 on: January 04, 2016, 10:54:40 am »

My reply was in response to the post that 3.8 million people would be interested, supposedly Nigel Farage UKip supporters, and their tenuous grasp of political facts.

With respect to loose wheel nuts, I can assure you that the 'knocking' that you get with a loose wheel nut gives ample warning of an issue, even before a car is driven at enough speed to cause any injury. You would do more damage to someone by throwing a crisp packet at them. The whole affair is a non-story. 

Offline squiggle

« Reply #474 on: January 04, 2016, 11:49:18 am »
My reply was in response to the post that 3.8 million people would be interested, supposedly Nigel Farage UKip supporters, and their tenuous grasp of political facts.

Apologies for misunderstanding your position.

With respect to loose wheel nuts, I can assure you that the 'knocking' that you get with a loose wheel nut gives ample warning of an issue, even before a car is driven at enough speed to cause any injury.

Can't say we've ever experienced that one.  I do remember our car developing a knock on one way of cornering, probably near Chester/ A55.  We stopped and phoned my brother who was still/had been a mechanic. I don't remember if he suggested I checked the wheel nuts but I do remember his diagnosis of a wheel bearing proving correct.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #475 on: January 04, 2016, 04:48:49 pm »
The average UKIP associate is so paranoid, I'm sure they half expect to get assassinated everyday.

Non story. NEXT

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #476 on: January 04, 2016, 07:41:34 pm »
The average UKIP associate is so paranoid, I'm sure they half expect to get assassinated everyday.

Non story. NEXT

One wheel coming off, yes I can go along with you but with the other three wheels being loose at the same time, I think not.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #477 on: January 05, 2016, 09:22:33 am »
To be honest, it reminds me of the time faux Hip Hop DJ, Tim Westwood paid someone to shoot him so he would have more street cred.

I can't think why anyone would want to shoot Tim Westwood and I can't think why anyone would assassinate Nigel Farage. Neither of them are that important.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #478 on: January 06, 2016, 05:22:30 am »
Pointing out the obvious may seem banal, but lets be honest, the current Westminster government does not give a damn about North Wales, or indeed much outside the home counties. And, to be frank, the Welsh Assembly only pays lip service to the area. So, with the farce of the current Labour opposition disappearing into it's own orifice of a black hole, who is going to bring the government to account? The further the Labour party descend into chaos, the more the Tories move to the right and away from reality; a consequence being that rural outlying areas like North Wales will gradually be further ignored and more deprived.   

Or am I the only one concerned?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #479 on: January 06, 2016, 03:14:47 pm »
You are spot on with what you have said Bosun but this situation between the north and south has been going on for years, in Wales since devolution has come in there is a definite division between the north and the south.
Politics is a hot topic but everyone is entitled to their opinion and what is right for one voter may not be right for another.   The present Tory government is one of the worst Tory governments to come into power and that is saying a lot.     How on earth they won the General Election is beyond my comprehension but that is democracy for you!
As for Jeremy Corbyn, he became leader of the Labour Party by a massive majority so we have to accept that,   But a potential PM or a leader in the world of politics he most certainly isn't.
A good MP,  like Michael Foot was, but extremely unlikely to lead Labour to win the next General Election.     The latest reshuffle in the party has turned into a farce and sadly it's making the Labour Party look stupid

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35239232