Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319943 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: National politics
« Reply #450 on: November 30, 2015, 05:18:18 pm »
Those two postings are very interesting Ian and it just  shows how far apart the Labour And Conservatives are, as they only seem to have one thing in common and that is their concern for MP's pay and expenses.

The comparison between Clement Attlee and Margaret Thatcher surprisingly doesn't mention Thatcher's deliberate and successful attempt to destroy the coal mining industry and with it the inevitable disintegration of the close knit communities that depended on that industry.

If you look at the policies of the present day Parties, nothing has changed and they are both sticking with the same ideas.    What amazes me though is that  people actually vote for a Party that only looks after the interests of about five per cent of its own members

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #451 on: November 30, 2015, 08:05:44 pm »
Problem is that we are all encouraged to vote for someone, but often there is no party that you can fully agree with so you have to vote for the one who has the least bad ideas in their manifesto. Often I think that democracy prevents real progress from happening!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #452 on: November 30, 2015, 08:23:12 pm »
You could be right ME,  it's a personal thing after all.   I just wish that all the Parties put the UK'S  interests first instead of playing at Party Politics.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #453 on: December 01, 2015, 06:43:54 am »
Often I think that democracy prevents real progress from happening!

Churchill probably had it right, when he quoted "Democracy is the worst form of government, apart from all the others...".
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #454 on: December 02, 2015, 11:00:26 am »
I saw a clip of Corbyn on the news the other night, he looked as though he was regretting ever standing for Labour leader.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #455 on: December 02, 2015, 01:13:49 pm »
I have just watched Jeremy Corbyn's speech in the 'great debate', I may not agree with him, but he made some very good points that require a great deal of consideration and he conducted himself in manner that many other MP's should emulate. His none-confrontational style is given with dignity and sincerity but his desire for a negotiated peace is naïve to the utmost degree, you simply cannot negotiate with a group that promote the atrocities of Paris and 'Jehadi John'.   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #456 on: December 02, 2015, 03:03:51 pm »
...and comparisons

[smg id=3342]

And just like the Labour Leader of today, Mr Attlee thought it was financially prudent to spend his way out of trouble with money the Country didn't have.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #457 on: December 02, 2015, 03:10:12 pm »
I've no doubt that Jeremy Corbyn is a very good constitutional MP and is sincere in his beliefs but that is as far as it goes.    A potential figure on the world's political stage he certainly isn't.
We don't live in Utopia and the sooner he realises that the better it will be for him and the Labour Party

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #458 on: December 02, 2015, 03:15:17 pm »
Alan Johnson and Yvette Cooper have both made very good addresses to the house, I'm impressed with the debate so far. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #459 on: December 02, 2015, 10:49:03 pm »
Well, the votes been taken and results declared. It's been a fascinating day watching the politics unfold, most MP's, the vast majority, have behaved with decorum and spoken eloquently and well, I'm pleased; regardless of the result of the vote, I think it was a good day for open democracy.

'Idiot Of The Day Award' went to Dianne Abbot, who when interviewed after the vote, talked utter rubbish and gave the impression that this had sanctioned endless carpet bombing of the Syrian people by Avro Lancasters.......           She really has a tenuous grasp on reality.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #460 on: December 03, 2015, 09:12:37 am »
It was a good debate. Whether bombing IS in Syria will make any real difference is another matter, but I suppose it demonstrates our resolve to tackle the problem. Bombing is easy, finding a lasting political solution to the problems in that part of the world is far harder.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #461 on: December 23, 2015, 10:23:02 am »
This is truly worrying.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #462 on: December 23, 2015, 01:55:35 pm »
What is truly worrying Ian?     

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #463 on: December 23, 2015, 02:02:13 pm »
This is truly worrying.

It is disturbing on several levels; that they actually attended in the first place, and that they did so brazenly, not realising how utterly jaw-droppingly their incredulous behaviour would be seen as. And, in the company of the flame haired witch who 99.9% of people believe that she knew, condoned and was wholly complicit in the telephone tapping scandal, no matter that her layers, paid for by her ex-boss, got her acquitted. (But that's juries for you....) 

Perhaps 'worrying' and 'disturbing' are not strong enough; scandalous seems to be more fitting.

This is why we desperately need a strong opposition, in these times, now even more than ever.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #464 on: December 23, 2015, 02:12:18 pm »
Bosun, am I missing something?            Was there a link attached to Ian's statement?