Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319850 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #390 on: September 17, 2015, 08:41:10 am »
It seems my last comments about a previous  peevish response was not acceptable ?
Not at all, please keep your views coming.  $good$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #391 on: September 17, 2015, 03:01:11 pm »

One final point, I find these emoticons serve no purpose whatsoever !

Oh I don't know??  :P

What have you got against poor old emoticons?  ?{}?

Anyway, I'm going out now...  ZXZ $drink1$
.... and the emoticons leave you all in no doubt as to where I'm going!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #392 on: September 17, 2015, 04:08:25 pm »
It seems my last comments about a previous  peevish response was not acceptable ?
Perhaps you all know each other and that may make my comments worthless as it is perhaps friendly? banter.

The almost universal condemnation of JC by the media seems to creep in here too. For heavens sake
give the chap a chance. I watched him perform in pmq against Cameron with many years experience of putting down anyone with an opinion. For a first attempt he did quite well. At least he attempted to try to move away from the fiasco that normally happens by asking questions the public wants to have answers too.

One final point, I find these emoticons serve no purpose whatsoever !

Not at all, I like it that someone else with a bit of sense is commenting on the forum, keep commenting! L0L
The only person I know on the forum personally to any real degree is Fester and I deary wish I didn't  :P So no worries on that score.
I thought Jeremy did very well in PMQ, a very clever tactic to use questions from the public to which Cameron can't simply sneer at as usual.

Agreed on emoticons too!  :rage:

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #393 on: September 17, 2015, 04:10:51 pm »
I think they are   Ok'ish in small doses , but  they won't even work when I click or drag them ! viz http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/Smileys/SoLoSMiLeYS1/devil.jpg

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #394 on: September 17, 2015, 04:34:11 pm »
Thank you born 2 run.
I think the Media is after him big style. They have given him a hard time over not singing. I thought he was there to show respect to  in the Battle of Britain remembrance,which he did . Has anyone read the words of the anthem recently?
 Now it seems to be  a question of whether he should kneel before the queen etc. 
At least he has given hope to the young!
 As far as I'm concerned he is preaching to the converted.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #395 on: September 17, 2015, 04:39:11 pm »
Agree completely. The anthem is not called 'God Save our war veterans' so in what way was he showing disrespect to them?
The papers are tory owned whatever he does he will lose. If he had of sung the anthem there would have been equally negative reports calling him a 'hypocrite'

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #396 on: September 17, 2015, 04:46:43 pm »

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #397 on: September 17, 2015, 04:59:08 pm »
"The mudslide of outrage which hit Jeremy Corbyn after he refused to sing the national anthem during a Battle of Britain memorial service has been quite something to behold. Corbyn was branded a “disgrace” and anti-British by the press overnight, with the BBC leading with the story this morning.
Even Corbyn’s own side have turned on him over the issue. The shadow minister for women and equalities told the Today Programme this morning that Corbyn’s refusal will have “offended and hurt” people’s “feelings” while Labour peer Lord West said it was an “extraordinary” decision which “a large number of people in this country will be offended by”.
Now it may well be that there are a handful of people out there whose feelings are genuinely hurt and offended by the sight of a middle aged man standing in a room while not singing. However, I would suggest that their feelings must be in such a highly sensitive state that they would be best advised to board up the windows and never leave the house again.
I would also advise them to consider that there are several perfectly sane and reasonable reasons for Jeremy Corbyn not to have joined in with the anthem.
The first point to consider is just how absurd the lyrics of the national anthem are.
The first verse is essentially nonsense. The repeated call for a supernatural being to somehow extend his powers of unworldly protection over our hereditary ruler would be laughed at were they sung by a group of tribesman in the rainforest. That these words are still venerated by people in one of the most scientifically advanced nations in the world is bizarre.
The absurdity continues into the second verse which is a repeated call for the aforementioned supernatural being to rise up and “scatter” the enemies of our overlord. Originally the anthem here specifically called for an attack on her “Popish” enemies but was subsequently altered to “knavish” so as not to offend the many Catholic people living both here and abroad. Other variations on the anthem also called for supernatural help in order to crush “rebellious Scots”, something our current rulers may have wished to resurrect during last year’s independence referendum.
Now you may agree or disagree with these calls for God to help the Queen go on a rampage against her enemies, but it seems to me perfectly reasonable for Corbyn not to join in.
The second more important point to consider is that the anthem is an anathema in an era when around a fifth of the British population do not believe in the monarchy and around a third of the population do not believe in a higher supernatural power.
That these people should all be shamed into singing a celebration of two institutions they don’t believe in is ridiculous. That Corbyn should be mercilessly attacked by the nation’s press and even his own party for refusing to do so is shameful.
In fact, had Corbyn complied and sung the anthem he would no doubt have been labelled a hypocrite by the very same newspapers who are now labelling him a disgrace.
Personally I’m not sure whether I would have been brave enough to make the same decision had I been in Corbyn’s position. The sheer scale of political outrage that will now follow is clearly in excess of any slight breach in principle that singing the anthem would have caused. The Conservatives will no doubt now use the incident to label Corbyn as dangerously anti-British and a borderline traitor
However, I totally understand and respect why he chose not to comply. In an era when frontline politicians will do anything to avoid upset or controversy, it is refreshing to see someone stick so resolutely to their principles. Rather than being condemned for refusing to join in with Britain’s absurd and anachronistic national anthem, Corbyn should be roundly applauded."

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #398 on: September 17, 2015, 05:54:02 pm »
!
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #399 on: September 18, 2015, 08:44:18 am »
 :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #400 on: September 18, 2015, 08:51:15 am »
Agree completely. The anthem is not called 'God Save our war veterans' so in what way was he showing disrespect to them?
The papers are tory owned whatever he does he will lose. If he had of sung the anthem there would have been equally negative reports calling him a 'hypocrite'
So, being as he has now agreed to sing the National Anthem at future events, he must indeed be a hypocrite, no?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-sing-national-anthem-6453805

Jeremy Corbyn will sing the national anthem when it is played at future events, Labour has said.

The Labour leader came under fire from his own MPs, monarchists and rival politicians after staying silent during the anthem at a Battle of Britain memorial service.

But a spokeswoman said he would "take part fully" if it is played at other events he's attending.

"I am telling you now, as someone speaking for the Party, that 'take part fully' includes singing," the spokeswoman said.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #401 on: September 18, 2015, 09:04:10 am »
If it is true then YES

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #402 on: September 18, 2015, 09:10:17 am »
I thought he was auditioning to become the next Prime Minster, not the next winner of Britain's Got Talent.

I have never voted Labour but, to me, he has come in like a breathe of fresh air, is not the stereotype politician (suit, tie, slick hair, public school and smarmy) that we have had for the past few years, and might make me reconsider where my next X will go.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #403 on: September 18, 2015, 09:12:51 am »
That seems to be the effect he's having.  Mind you, we could always have the British National song... Jerusalem :-)))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #404 on: September 18, 2015, 09:25:55 am »
I have never voted Labour but, to me, he has come in like a breathe of fresh air, is not the stereotype politician (suit, tie, slick hair, public school and smarmy) that we have had for the past few years, and might make me reconsider where my next X will go.
The thing is, despite appearances, he still really is a stereotypical politican. He's never worked for a living in a proper job like the rest of us and, to my mind, is as out of touch as any other politician.