Author Topic: National politics  (Read 320266 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: National politics
« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2015, 06:43:09 pm »
Do you think some Tories or people from other parties are joining the Labour party in order to vote in somebody bound to lose?

There are numerous reports in the national and local press and social media that Tories are joining the labour Party to vote for Jeremy Corbyn for the reasons that I set out in my initial post on this issue - that he would create chronic disunity within the Labour Party and make it a hopeless opposition and unelectable for a generation thus enabling a progressively right wing Conservative government. Virtually all the broad-sheets (as well as that well known bastion of liberal values – The Daily Mail) have recent articles on this.

Meanwhile, The Independent (on-line at least) today says that Harriet Harman, the Acting Labour Leader, is so concerned about infiltration by the Hard Left trying to infiltrate the party that she has written to every Labour MP. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-ordered-to-vet-members-who-apply-to-join-party-amid-fears-entryists-signing-up-to-vote-in-jeremy-corbyn-10438741.html

So in answer to your question, ‘Yes, I do think that people are joining the Labour party simply to vote to pursue their own agenda’.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2015, 06:51:45 pm »
as well as that well known bastion of liberal values – The Daily Mail

_))* _))* _))* _))* _))*
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2015, 12:38:41 pm »
I don't think it's more than a handful who are joining up for that reason. I think the 'surge' in new members is mainly young people from outside politics who are interested in something different.
That surely has to be a good thing.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2015, 08:03:42 pm »
Well, it seems it's about 150,000 good things...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #319 on: August 07, 2015, 09:07:37 am »
Jeremy Corbyn is an absolute godsend....for the Tories. It will plunge the Labour Party into a civil war between the left and right factions and probably result in a 'Michael Foot' situation of rendering them unelectable for many years.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #320 on: August 07, 2015, 09:10:34 am »
Jeremy Corbyn is criticised by victims' families after failing to condemn the IRA
SIOBHAN FENTON Thursday 06 August 2015

Jeremy Corbyn has been criticised by families of IRA victims after failing to explicitly condemn the group.

The Labour leadership candidate was in Northern Ireland yesterday to appear on a panel at West Belfast festival Feile an Phobail. In a telephone interview with BBC Radio Ulster, Stephen Nolan repeatedly asked Mr Corbyn to condemn the IRA’s actions.

When asked if he condemned the IRA, the Islington North MP said: “I condemn all bombing, it is not a good idea, and it is terrible what happened.”

Mr Nolan repeated: “The question is do you condemn what the IRA did?”

Mr Corbyn replied: “Look, I condemn what was done by the British Army as well as the other sides as well. What happened in Derry in 1972 was pretty devastating as well.”

When the question was put to him a third time, he said: “Can I answer the question in this way? We gained ceasefires, they were important and a huge step forward. Those ceasefires brought about the peace process, brought about the reconciliation process which we should all be pleased about. Can we take the thing forward rather than backward?”

Mr Nolan again asked: “Are you refusing to condemn what the IRA did?”. At which point railway noise can be heard Mr Corbyn said that he could not hear the question because he was travelling on a train and had poor signal.

Asked the question a fifth time, he said: “I feel we will have to do this later you know”, before the line goes dead.

The Labour leadership candidate’s behaviour has been criticised by relatives of IRA victims. Ann Travers, whose 22-year-old sister Mary was shot dead by the IRA, told the Belfast Telegraph that it was an “insult to all our dead loved ones.”

She said: “I am shocked and disappointed that an MP, especially someone who hopes to win a leadership contest and lead the Labour Party into government, would find it so difficult to say five simple words, ‘Yes I condemn the IRA’.

“Any right-minded, moral, government minister shouldn’t have to think twice to condemn it.”

Colin Parry, whose 12-year-old son Tim was killed in an IRA bomb in 1993, also criticised Mr Corbyn. He said: “When I saw the nature of the interview it didn’t surprise me. I think he saw an equivalence between the British Government’s armed forced and republican terrorists which I think anyone with a balanced view in Northern Ireland could hardly agree with.”

Mr Corbyn has been criticised by opponents for appearing to have links to Irish Republicanism. He has defended inviting IRA representatives to the House of Commons in 1984 a fortnight after the Brighton Bombing.

In 1987, he also observed a minute’s silence for eight IRA members who had been killed by British military personnel.

The 66-year-old, who has been the MP for Islington North since 1983, has unexpectedly come to lead the race to become the new Labour leader.

Mr Corbyn's campaign said he had clearly and immediately condemned all violence, from all sides, in his Belfast Telegraph interview. His team said: "Northern Ireland has been through one of the most difficult and inspiring experiences of establishing peace and reconciliation, and Jeremy's approach is about continuing to move forward on that basis. He is opposed to all violence, which is why he backed talks to achieve peace, when others refused to."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-criticised-by-victims-families-after-failing-to-condemn-the-ira-10442683.html

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #321 on: August 07, 2015, 09:25:37 am »
" “I condemn all bombing, it is not a good idea, and it is terrible what happened.”

Case closed - ridiculous article

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #322 on: August 07, 2015, 09:37:13 am »
Well, it seems it's about 150,000 good things...
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-party-membership-soaring-fastest-6207338

Yes and they are all stringently checked, as that idiotic Tory found out and made himself look a fool  _))*

Tory activists also claimed they'd 'sabotage' the vote by picking Mr Corbyn - but MP Tim Loughton was soon caught out when he tried sneaking in.

Labour rejected his application yesterday but thanked him for his £3 'donation'.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #323 on: August 07, 2015, 09:37:39 am »

Well no, it's not. You quote a line which is largely meaningless.  Presumably, that means he also condemns the British armed forces en masse for their part during WWII?  "I condemn all bombing".  Including that of ISIS? Of Hamburg? Why did he not simply answer the question directly? That's all they were asking.

Yes and they are all stringently checked

_))* Yes, they found an MP - not really that hard, is it? But there may well be other seekinh to muddy the waters they haven't found.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #324 on: August 07, 2015, 09:39:08 am »
" “I condemn all bombing, it is not a good idea, and it is terrible what happened.”

But why would he decline to condemn the IRA when asked FIVE separate times?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #325 on: August 07, 2015, 10:45:41 am »
Corbyn is without a shadow of doubt a huge liability to the Labour Party, I hope he wins the leadership election!  WWW
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #326 on: August 07, 2015, 10:52:29 am »
Then we agree on something  ££$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2015, 11:03:51 am »
The major issue is that the country needs a viable and strong opposition. To allow any party to govern without some accountability system in place could be a disaster in the long term. Corbyn simply has far, far too many echoes of the Militant Tendency in his background. It might delight some die-hard Tories if he were to win but his very election will damage the opposition itself irreversibly. And I don't believe that;ll be good for the country.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2015, 11:24:47 am »
Corbyn is without a shadow of doubt a huge liability to the Labour Party, I hope he wins the leadership election!  WWW

Then we agree on something  ££$

Don't forget that ME was in the top right hand box along with Margaret Thatcher and Adolf Hitler!           :o
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 11:27:17 am by Ian »