Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319842 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: National politics
« Reply #285 on: July 24, 2015, 07:53:03 pm »
Very interesting Ian,   I ended up almost dead centre but in the same box as Ghandi.

Thank goodness I wasn't in the same box as Thatcher or the other dictator!

I was in the same box just left of you, whatever that means.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #286 on: July 24, 2015, 11:26:33 pm »
I was just to the left of centre, which surprised me...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: July 25, 2015, 08:08:17 am »
Very interesting Ian,   I ended up almost dead centre but in the same box as Ghandi.
Thank goodness I wasn't in the same box as Thatcher or the other dictator!

_))*

I was almost in the left hand lower corner.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #288 on: July 25, 2015, 05:58:32 pm »
This is the result that I got, I wonder how accurate the test is?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #289 on: August 02, 2015, 07:57:09 am »
I am fascinated by the Labour leadership contest. Jeremy Corbyn, IRA apologist, supporter of Hammas, Hezbollah and failed leftist leaders who wants to scrap the British monarchy is romping away with the contest. Both Derek Hatton and George Galloway have said that they will re-join the Labour party forthwith if Jeremy Corbyn wins. How can Labour's most rebellious MP, who has voted against his own party over 500 times claim leadership rights? The frightening part for me is that his election will obliterate the possibility of Labour providing any reasoned or tempering opposition for at least a generation allowing a succession of progressively right-wing Conservative governments.

Actually, I am always very slightly suspect of anyone who is tea-total.......
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: August 02, 2015, 10:44:18 am »
:-))))

Well, I know that many would leave the party if Hatton rejoined, for sure.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #291 on: August 03, 2015, 04:37:41 pm »
Your Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -6.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

Whatever that means, I was a bit lower than where Gandhi was

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #292 on: August 03, 2015, 04:40:04 pm »
I am fascinated by the Labour leadership contest. Jeremy Corbyn, IRA apologist, supporter of Hammas, Hezbollah and failed leftist leaders who wants to scrap the British monarchy is romping away with the contest. Both Derek Hatton and George Galloway have said that they will re-join the Labour party forthwith if Jeremy Corbyn wins. How can Labour's most rebellious MP, who has voted against his own party over 500 times claim leadership rights? The frightening part for me is that his election will obliterate the possibility of Labour providing any reasoned or tempering opposition for at least a generation allowing a succession of progressively right-wing Conservative governments.

Actually, I am always very slightly suspect of anyone who is tea-total.......

Nothing in the first two lines you wrote is accurate in any way.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #293 on: August 03, 2015, 04:42:04 pm »
"Does it mean I agree with Hamas and what it does? No. Does it mean I agree with Hezbollah and what they do? No. What it means is that I think to bring about a peace process, you have to talk to people with whom you may profoundly disagree.

This makes him a 'supporter' of Hamas and Hezbollah does it?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #294 on: August 03, 2015, 05:39:53 pm »
    I am fascinated by the Labour leadership contest. Jeremy Corbyn, IRA apologist, supporter of Hammas, Hezbollah and failed leftist leaders who wants to scrap the British monarchy is romping away with the contest.

Er...not quite. And Bosun left out that he still writes a weekly column for the Morning Star. And he is part-funded by Interpal, a charity set up to aid Palestinians. And he's on record as saying he wants the UK to become a republic. And he supports Russia's positions on NATO and blames the Ukraine crisis on the USA. And he funded a trip to the UK for Raed Salah of the Israeli Islamic Movement, and has spoken on platforms with Hezbollah. So yep;  apart from that, er... Nope.  Seems Bosun's pretty well spot on.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: August 03, 2015, 05:46:29 pm »
I don't doubt that he's a decent person; just...odd. He's living in CCL if he believes his leadership would increase the Labour movement's membership. And I'm suspicious that he was involved with Militant Tendency. He certainly knew and sympathised with many MT members, and for that alone he should be excommunicated.

But no; the current MPs won't support him, but the oddly bizarre voting system the Parliamentary party use to choose a leader could see him squeeze through.  If he does, it will be the end of the LP as we know it, and a gift to the Tories, and yet he can't see that. Which in itself makes him unsuitable.

And I don't know how he has time to be an MP, let alone Leader, since he's Chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on the Chagos Islands, Chair of the APPG on Mexico, Vice-Chair of the APPG on Latin America and Vice-Chair of the APPG on Human Rights. He is also a Member of the Bolivia, Britain-Palestine, Great Lakes, Cheese, Dalits, Cycling, International Parliamentary Union and Traveller Law Reform APPGs.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #296 on: August 03, 2015, 06:13:07 pm »
He seems to like everything that I dislike! Typical communist!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #297 on: August 03, 2015, 10:40:43 pm »
He seems to like everything that I dislike! Typical communist!

He can't be all bad, if he likes Cheese!  (according to Ian's list)
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #298 on: August 04, 2015, 06:59:20 am »
He can't be all bad, if he likes Cheese!  (according to Ian's list)

_))* _))* _))*

Initially, at least, that last was an organisation dedicated to the mediation of conflicts - which does fit well with his general mission, if you like. Not quite sure how cheese made it in, though...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #299 on: August 04, 2015, 11:43:48 am »
    I am fascinated by the Labour leadership contest. Jeremy Corbyn, IRA apologist, supporter of Hammas, Hezbollah and failed leftist leaders who wants to scrap the British monarchy is romping away with the contest.

Er...not quite. And Bosun left out that he still writes a weekly column for the Morning Star. And he is part-funded by Interpal, a charity set up to aid Palestinians. And he's on record as saying he wants the UK to become a republic. And he supports Russia's positions on NATO and blames the Ukraine crisis on the USA. And he funded a trip to the UK for Raed Salah of the Israeli Islamic Movement, and has spoken on platforms with Hezbollah. So yep;  apart from that, er... Nope.  Seems Bosun's pretty well spot on.

Your ability to dismiss what is right in front of you is amazing!
In regards to talking to Hamas and the Provisional IRA the man himself says, as I pointed out,
""Does it mean I agree with Hamas and what it does? No. Does it mean I agree with Hezbollah and what they do? No. What it means is that I think to bring about a peace process, you have to talk to people with whom you may profoundly disagree.

In his own words he profoundly disagrees with them. But apparently you and Bosun knows more about who Corbyn 'supports' or 'agrees' with than he does.

Yes he has 'met' with Hezbollah and yes he has met with former provisional IRA leaders, as has this person

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9358332/Queen-meets-ex-IRA-commander-Martin-McGuinness-today.html