Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319791 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #270 on: July 17, 2015, 07:55:27 pm »
Well, first prize for disingenuity goes to David Jones MP:

"Mr Jones added: “It seems to me that MPs can’t actually win, when they are in charge of their own expenses they get pilloried, they are handed over to an independent body and they are still pilloried - and I just don’t understand why.”"

Does he really expect the electorate to believe that he's incapable of grasping the link between MPs forming the Government that has placed public Service sector wages on hold for four years, then limited them to 1% for the next four, then happily taking a huge pay hike? 

Perhaps he should look at the Public Sector independent bodies that advise on wage increases. In 2014, of course, the Tory-led coalition blocked the recommendations from the independent Review Body on Doctors' and Dentists’ Remuneration (as well as other NHS pay review bodies) for a 1 per cent pay rise for all staff, on the grounds that it would be unaffordable and that many staff would receive pay increases linked to career progression.

The Parliamentary independent body was brought in after the MPs' expenses scandal - with which Mr Jones will be well acquainted, since he paid back £81,000 in profit he made on a tax-payer funded second home. But it's reasonable to ask why the government apparently heeds the MP's body, yet not the Doctors', Nurses' or Dentists'. Are MPs inherently more important than NHS staff?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2015, 09:08:16 pm »
Well, first prize for disingenuity goes to David Jones MP:

...... Are MPs inherently more important than NHS staff?

No.... Never.....Absolutely NOT.
However, they love to THINK that they are...  :( :(
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #272 on: July 18, 2015, 07:57:02 am »
From the folk at 38 degrees:

Our people-powered campaign against tax-dodging is working! The government has started making moves to close down tax dodges used by finance bosses to avoid millions of pounds in tax each year.

But so far, their plans don’t cut it. Wealthy private equity managers can still get away with paying less tax than they ought to. And 38 Degrees members don’t settle for a job half-done. So let’s use this momentum to get the Mayfair tax loophole closed down for good.

This Tuesday, our MPs will debate the new law that starts to crack down on tax-dodging. If lots of them speak out about the Mayfair loophole, it could be our best chance yet to force the government to strengthen the law - and finally make this tax scam illegal.

Today, your MP will be sitting down to prepare for the debate. Imagine the impact of hundreds of emails and phone calls from their constituents - all urging them to speak out against the Mayfair loophole. They’ll know that they’ll have to speak up in the debate. Please can you call or email your MP now? It'll just take a couple of minutes:

Here comes the technical explanation! The Mayfair Loophole lets private equity bosses pay a lower rate of tax for their job - managing other people’s money. It should be counted as income tax, but the loophole let’s them fiddle it as a tax on investment so they pay much less.

But thanks to everything we’ve done together, the government’s had to admit that the Mayfair loophole is a scam. Their current plans would bring in an extra £350 million a year for public services like our NHS. But we need to make sure Osborne doesn’t think the job is done. We need to make sure that in next week's debate, he hears from MPs across all parties urging him to close this loophole fully.

The government wants to look good on tax. They know the public wants them to do more to crack down on unfair tax dodging by some of the wealthiest people in Britain. So let’s get MPs to flood the debate with facts about how much money is lost through the Mayfair tax loophole. If our MPs speak out, we can back Chancellor George Osborne into a corner.

Can you take a few minutes to speak your MP and ask them to speak out about the Mayfair Loophole - and why it should be closed - in Tuesday’s debate? Click below to call or email your MP:

Together, we’ve done something pretty extraordinary. We’ve forced George Osborne to tackle a tax loophole used by some of the richest people in the City. But super-wealthy finance bosses are still getting a massive tax cut. 38 Degrees members stand for fairness, and a loophole that still lets millionaires pay a lower rate of tax than nurses and teachers is anything but fair.

Thanks for being involved"
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #273 on: July 19, 2015, 05:04:58 pm »
I received an e-mail recently and although I've seen it before it's quite topical for here:-   This is just a little extract

THE CROOKS IN GOVERNMENT HAVE PULLED OFF A BIGGER ROBBERY THAN THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERS EVER DID.

Entitlement!!?? 
My foot !!  IT'S MY MONEY!!  I paid IN cash for my pension.

Just because they borrowed the money to spend on other things,
that  doesn't make my pension some kind of charity or  handout!!

Remember MP's benefits? ---
free healthcare,  outrageous retirement packages,
67 days paid holidays, three weeks paid vacation,
unlimited paid sick days.  Now that really should be called
welfare entitlements, yet they they have the nerve to call my
O A P retirement payments entitlements?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #274 on: July 21, 2015, 12:13:18 pm »
PENNY PINCHING... &shake&
POLITICS: An MP who claimed 9p on expenses for a 352-yard car journey has defended the cost, but admitted such small claims may look "odd". Rob Wilson, Conservative member for Reading East, has made a number of claims for short journeys, with many coming in under £1, but said over the course of a year the mileage "does add up".REFDP

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #275 on: July 24, 2015, 11:18:53 am »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33649251

I am wary of entering into to such a passionate debating arena as one on politics, but this had me falling over with laughter and it confirms that Ken Livingstone is indeed, completely and utterly deluded....
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #276 on: July 24, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »
I'll be voting for him  $good$

I would rather have a strong opposition than a diluted leadership. Together with the SNP we can beat the Tories in Parliament.
Sadly the current Labour leadership was too weak to vote against the latest benefit cuts which punished people IN work! If Corbyn doesn't win 'Labour' need to change their name.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: July 24, 2015, 12:40:27 pm »
Well, he'll probably make Labour unelectable. But we're apparently already living in one of the most right-wing and authoritarian countries:

http://politicalcompass.org/euchart

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #279 on: July 24, 2015, 02:10:44 pm »
I'm sure that Jeremy Corbyn is a thoroughly decent, highly principled and well meaning chap, however, the leader of the opposition is supposed to be the 'Prime Minister-in-waiting' and anyone who thinks that Jeremy Corbyn is future UK Prime Minister material is living in cuckoo land. As a Labour leader, he will make Michael Foot's term in office look like a romping success; even his nomination is tearing the Labour party apart and his possible success will create a divisive Labour party meaning a weak and wholly ineffective opposition; the last thing that this country needs.   
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #280 on: July 24, 2015, 03:02:59 pm »
I'm sure that Jeremy Corbyn is a thoroughly decent, highly principled and well meaning chap

He probably is and so were Michael Foot and Tony Benn but the images they portrayed to the public was one of the reasons why Labour was in the Political wilderness for so long.
David Milliband was the favourite to be the previous labour leader but his brother Ed got it instead thanks to the support of the unions and just look what has happened!

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2015, 04:14:02 pm »
I'm sure that Jeremy Corbyn is a thoroughly decent, highly principled and well meaning chap

He probably is and so were Michael Foot and Tony Benn but the images they portrayed to the public was one of the reasons why Labour was in the Political wilderness for so long.
David Milliband was the favourite to be the previous labour leader but his brother Ed got it instead thanks to the support of the unions and just look what has happened!

Hugo, you are categorically correct.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2015, 04:17:09 pm »
I'm sure that Jeremy Corbyn is a thoroughly decent, highly principled and well meaning chap, however, the leader of the opposition is supposed to be the 'Prime Minister-in-waiting' and anyone who thinks that Jeremy Corbyn is future UK Prime Minister material is living in cuckoo land. As a Labour leader, he will make Michael Foot's term in office look like a romping success; even his nomination is tearing the Labour party apart and his possible success will create a divisive Labour party meaning a weak and wholly ineffective opposition; the last thing that this country needs.

It already is divisive. 48 MPs voted against the welfare bill. '184 'abstained' I think if I 'abstained' from doing my job I would be sacked. But politicians live in a different world sadly.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2015, 05:08:50 pm »
If you want to see your own political leanings, take this test:

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

Offline Hugo

« Reply #284 on: July 24, 2015, 07:45:15 pm »
Very interesting Ian,   I ended up almost dead centre but in the same box as Ghandi.

Thank goodness I wasn't in the same box as Thatcher or the other dictator!