Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319961 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #225 on: June 17, 2015, 01:10:32 pm »
I think Denbighshire is a far better partner and more demographically and culturally similar.
I agree.  $good$

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #226 on: June 17, 2015, 06:09:48 pm »
Plans to cut Welsh councils cause split in north
North Wales council chiefs are split over radical plans to carve the region up into two or three authorities as unions warn of job cuts and privatisation.
MORE...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-33168003

Case for fewer councils is 'compelling', says minister
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-33161855

Offline SteveH

« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2015, 01:55:13 pm »
 &shake&    &shake&

Welsh Government refuses to say how much top managers are being paid to leave after top-level restructure

The Welsh Government has refused to release details of redundancy packages paid to three of its most senior civil servants who are leaving following a top-tier management restructuring exercise.
All three of the departing senior managers are designated as Directors-General and head up departments. Those leaving are Gareth Jones, Director-General Natural Resources; June Milligan, Director-General, Local Government and Communities; and Michael Hearty, Director-General, Finance and Corporate Services
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/welsh-government-refuses-say-how-9507115

Four out of five Welsh Government staff classed as managers
Almost four out of five of staff working for the Welsh Government are designated as managers, astonishing new figures have revealed.
The statistics, released to the Welsh Conservatives following a written question from leader Andrew RT Davies, show that of the 5,424 employed by the Government as of March this year, 4,189 – or 77% – were classed as managers.
These ranked from those at management band 3 through to 25 staff at Senior Civil Service 2 level, earning from £82,900 to £162,500.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/four-out-five-welsh-government-2050794

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: June 24, 2015, 08:22:13 am »
The statistics... show that of the 5,424 employed by the Government as of March this year, 4,189 – or 77% – were classed as managers.

Interesting.  So it requires 4189 managers to manage 1200 employees?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #229 on: June 24, 2015, 10:51:32 am »
 :o

Odd I have 'manager' somewhere in my title, and I rarely manage anyone other than myself or a handful of people on a project occasionally. But this is because we are a private company and the manager name on my e mail or on contract specs is appealing to clients.

Who are the Welsh Government trying to impress?

Surely being public their job titles should be as 'honest' as possible

Offline SteveH

« Reply #230 on: June 24, 2015, 11:47:03 am »
Who are the Welsh Government trying to impress?
Not the tax payer............. $angry$ $angry$     this is a farce, and they want more powers..........

With future major cuts in spending.....the NHS in Wales .....and reducing the number of councils...........their MANAGEMENT does not inspire confidence.     

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #231 on: June 24, 2015, 01:15:35 pm »
This 'Manager' title is something that rankles with me, more and more, every day.

The Pier has 'managers', every business in town has 'managers' .....   
I was told when I became a 'Manager' that the word comes from the latin 'Mana' which means 'hand'
Therefore, it means that you have to keep a grip on what is in your sphere of responsibility, and handle it.
This training stood me in good stead, and I never forgot those words.

In my experience, it was always associated with me having a team of people who I could call upon to perform most things... but I knew I was ultimately responsible.

But these days, everyone I ever come across who has the badge saying 'Manager',  all I hear is.... 'Oh sorry, I'll let the boss know',  or 'Oh sorry, thanks for the feedback, there's nothing I can do'......   or worst of all .... ''Why don't you report this to those above me?, I'm only the manager!!!''

I actually said to a 'Manager' just the other day.... 'You have the title Manager Sir, is it unreasonable for me to expect YOU to manage this query?'

A major bug-bear of mine, and Ian.... your reference to the top heavy statistics blew me away.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

« Reply #232 on: June 25, 2015, 08:32:12 pm »
New North Wales AM will not give up Conwy Council role

A new AM for North Wales has said she will not give up her role as a county councillor – but will give away over £13,000 of her earnings to charity.

Janet Haworth was drafted in by the Conservative party to take the regional seat in the Welsh Assembly, replacing Antoinette Sandbach who was elected MP for a constituency in Cheshire.

Ms Haworth, a grandmother of six, is currently juggling three political roles – as a Conwy county councillor, Llandudno town councillor and an AM, bringing home a combined pay cheque of £67,691.
Despite only having 62% attendance at Conwy meetings, the AM has said she has no intention of stepping down from any of the local roles – in case she doesn’t get reelected to the Assembly.

During an exclusive interview with the Daily Post just three weeks after she stepped into Cardiff Bay, Ms Haworth said she would be donating her £13,300 Conwy council wage to a local young persons’ charity.
Ms Haworth wouldn’t name the charity but said council officers were looking into whether she could pay the cash for her 10 months as an AM through payroll giving.

The AM, who was on a pre-booked holiday in Scilly when she was called upon to take up the seat, confirmed she was closing the Llandudno guest house she runs with her partner Dennis.

Ms Haworth said she had considered standing down from the local councils but wouldn’t be doing so just in case she didn’t get voted back into the Assembly at next year’s elections.
She said: “There is less than a year to run before we face elections here in the Welsh Assembly. There is at least another year after that of county council, so if I was not to be reelected here I would continue with my county council seat – and given this latest plan from the minister (redrawing of the local government map) it could be longer than that.
“So it didn’t make any sense to disrupt things for what is effectively 10 months.
“Now if I was to be reelected here that’s then a different scenario....yes, I would then stand down from both councils.”

Ms Haworth, who is not yet on Twitter or Facebook, defended her county council attendance record saying councillors didn’t have to attend every meeting but could “prioritise” things they are interested in – saying licensing was her main one. She said the town council was “relatively happy” about her only attending meetings such as community and tourism and full council.

Involved in politics for around 25 years, Ms Haworth said the Welsh Government needed to prioritise improvements to the rail and A55 as it was damaging and a “poor introduction” for tourists.
She also highlighted the need for more clarity to help people understand which Government was responsible for what in Wales, and called for a full independent review of the Welsh NHS to see if it was fit for purpose following the decision to place Betsi Cadwaladr into special measures.

The Welsh Local Government Association’s rules say: “An individual member is entitled to forego all or part or their basic/senior salary under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011, but to do so must inform the proper officer of the council in writing.”
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/new-north-wales-am-not-9527857

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #233 on: June 25, 2015, 10:07:50 pm »
Ms Haworth wouldn’t name the charity

Interesting...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #234 on: June 25, 2015, 10:57:55 pm »
Ms Haworth wouldn’t name the charity

Interesting...

Maybe she's stalling to give herself time to set one up and get it registered?  WWW
Valar Morghulis

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #235 on: June 26, 2015, 12:49:08 am »

Ms Haworth said she had considered standing down from the local councils but wouldn’t be doing so ...
“Now if I was to be reelected here that’s then a different scenario....yes, I would then stand down from both councils.”

So.  if she is elected, she will stand down????   Errm.... is there any point in voting for the daft bint then? 
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #236 on: June 26, 2015, 08:39:08 am »
Maybe she's stalling to give herself time to set one up and get it registered?  WWW

Wonderful!  _))* _))* _))*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: June 26, 2015, 09:18:32 am »
If she doesn't want to commit the time to effectively perform the town and county councillor roles, then she should step down and let someone else do it.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2015, 05:03:33 pm »
The European elite has treated Greece with disdain, warns leading Welsh critic of single currency.

Thousands of Welsh jobs
A Welsh Government spokesman said: “Clearly, we hope that Greece remains within the eurozone and the EU. The EU is Wales’s most important export market, and thousands of jobs in Wales are dependent on exports to countries in the Eurozone. Were Greece forced to leave , the implications would depend greatly on the wider context – namely the political and economic fall-out in Greece and other member states.

“The effect could be very destabilising. We will be following the negotiations closely.”
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/european-elite-treated-greece-disdain-9549963

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2015, 07:31:10 pm »
I fear the issue with Greece, coupled with the terrorist threat overseas may well lead to retrenchment on the part of the UK Government. Odd; I never thought I'd hear of the UK closing its borders, but I now suspect that day could come.