Author Topic: National politics  (Read 320073 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: National politics
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2014, 02:28:25 pm »
New EU members add £5bn to UK says research

Immigrants from the 10 countries which joined the EU in 2004 contributed more to the UK than they took out in benefits, according to a new study.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29910497

I saw this on the ITV news today but personally I don't take too much notice of statistics as they can be manipulated  to suit someone's argument.   
Cameron was speaking on TV months ago and complained about the EU abusing a particular one of our benefits system and mentioned Poland in his speech and he was promptly attacked by the Polish Prime Minister.      Now, I'm no fan of Cameron but when you have 28 countries in the EU and Poland is claiming 41 per cent of our total benefits then perhaps Cameron has a valid point.
Also working tax credits were claimed by many people from Europe and a lot of the claims were fraudulent too but I don't think you'll get the info under the freedom of information act.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2014, 01:52:39 pm »
EU court ruling backs curbs on 'benefit tourism'

The European Court of Justice has said member states are within their rights to refuse to give financial help to unemployed EU citizens who move to that country just to claim benefits.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30002138

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #152 on: February 04, 2015, 12:19:36 pm »
Just watching PMQ's on TV, what a FARCE!   Is the Country really being run by this bunch of rowdy clowns?   
 :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2015, 12:49:42 pm »
Just watching PMQ's on TV, what a FARCE!   Is the Country really being run by this bunch of rowdy clowns?   
 :rage:

Don't forget, it's quite a few years now since Mr Cameron promised to eradicate 'Punch and Judy Politics'
It's worse than ever now.   This is why I have no time for any of them.

More worryingly. there was a cross section of young people invited onto a Radio 2 show the other day.
They are sickened and bored by politicians of every type, only one out of 8 have any intention of voting in future.
I know how they feel,   but the more vociferous amongst them were demanding change, via revolution!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2015, 01:35:13 pm »
Ronnie Hughes in the daily post today ,saying the welsh gov have no confidence in local councils ,Ronnie the people haven,t any confidence in your shower .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2015, 02:57:35 pm »
A bit like the pot calling the kettle black  Norman

Offline Hugo

« Reply #156 on: February 11, 2015, 12:36:29 pm »
I received my first circular of the year and probably the first of many in the build up to the General Election.   It was from the ITV   MP of the year for 2013 and was called intouch by Guto Bebb.
I did spend some time reading the leaflet but after doing so wished that the paper would have been a lot softer and more absorbent so it could have been put to some good use.
Why don't politicians just say what they are going to do if they win the election rather than what the opposition have done, it's no wonder that people are disillusioned with them

Offline Hugo

« Reply #158 on: February 11, 2015, 05:04:24 pm »
If it comes in, it'll be too late for you to take advantage of it unfortunately,  but how is the small employer expected to cope with this proposed paternity leave?
Personally, I think that the leave of absence should be available to either parent depending on their personal circumstances but not both.   I do believe though that there are more important matters that all the parties should be focused on.

PS     I hope that your young baby is doing well and that you are not having too many sleepless nights at the moment!

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #159 on: February 18, 2015, 11:32:14 am »
Seems like CCBC isn't the only public body to make a horrendous mess of whatever it attempts:

"Poor design and chaotic management by the supposedly crack team at the Cabinet Office's Government Digital Service (GDS) left huge swathes of the British government in disarray, internal documents seen by the Register reveal. The documents confirm that GDS knew its flagship initiative to move all government websites under one roof, GOV.UK, was destroying useful online services and replacing them with trendily-designed webpages bereft of useful information.

One internal report is particularly damning. The Home Office Visa and Immigration site “transitioned [to GOV.UK] without a good understanding of users and needs ... there was quickly a flood of negative feedback ... coming from all directions,” an insider states for the record. The report details “a breakdown in fact checking described by more than one person as 'general chaos' and 'a total nightmare'.”

The disclosures paint a picture that contradicts the public image of supremely confident digital gurus modernising the British government's many websites, and making them more efficient. For all its vaunted skills in website design, GDS had a far poorer understanding of what the public actually needed than the relevant government departments did - this, according to GDS' own internal analysis.

At one stage ministers and Home Office press staff were put on alert for a rash of negative stories after the badly re-designed Visa and Immigration website left visiting notables unable to enter the UK. Irate users besieged call centres with complaints - "switchboards are melting", one insider wrote. Yet eight months later, GDS carried on as if nothing had happened, ploughing on with another “big bang” transition that saw more than 300 more domains move to the gov.uk übersite - creating possibly the most unpopular government web redesign ever yet undertaken.

The digital disaster was on such a scale that one BBC reporter speculated that the transition might be a sophisticated attempt to cripple the UK, and joked that perhaps the GDS worked for North Korea.

The internal documents seen by The Register raise questions over both the Cabinet Office’s strategy - of creating an untouchable “digital” Whitehall fiefdom in the shape of GDS - and the Cabinet Office's ability to manage and deliver Whitehall IT projects effectively.

The GDS was created to sprinkle a little fashionable “digital” magic over government online services, which had presumably not been digital enough before. The fact that it reported to Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude made the GDS politically untouchable, and it quickly assumed supremacy in the Whitehall IT jungle.

GDS carefully cultivated an attractive press narrative, focusing on friendly opinion columnists and political reporters – rather than the technical press, who tended to ask more detailed questions. Coverage was fawning. Civil servants across Whitehall needed to get up to speed with the new jargon fast – buzzwords such as “Agile methodology” and “platforms”. That, and GDS' prickly response to criticism, led one opposition source to describe the new agency as "cult-like”.

GDS' newcomer status was supposed to be a breath of fresh air. In fact, the digital gurus' lack of any skills or knowledge other than webpage design appears to have equipped them poorly for the tasks in hand. As we’ll see, GDS and the Cabinet Office failed to heed the warning signals from their own internal enquiry."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2015, 01:08:45 pm »
I seem to recall that Mr Cameron called a special vote in the House of Commons a year or so ago, as he was desperate for the UK to arm the 'rebels' in Syria, fighting against the Govt.
He lost, and he was bitterly disappointed.

Fast forward one year, and these 'rebels' are now indulging in a murderous orgy of bloodlust throughout the area, and they are known as Islamic State.

Is it any wonder that we have such mistrust in the competence of our so called 'Leaders'?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: April 17, 2015, 01:02:33 pm »
I see in today's news that UK unemployment has continued to fall, with the rate now down to 5.6%. Unfortunately, here in Wales, the rate is significantly higher at 6.2%, making it one of the worst performing areas of the UK. Why should this be?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-32346807

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: April 17, 2015, 03:20:50 pm »
Probably the same reason that the further from London you are, the worse the stats are.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2015, 10:24:28 am »
  Fancy reading a true story with a bit of light relief for a change.
  In 1966 I was working for Barclays Bank in Kirkby, Lancashire. A very important general election was on. Candidates  Harold Wilson,  Labour of course and in a real heartland of labour support, Hyton in Merseyside which included Kirkby. An unrememboured Conservative. And the first attempt in politics, screaming Lord Sutch of the monster raving looney party.
  The result was an absolute foregone conclusion. Labour would win by an absolute landslide.
  But this particular constituency attracted a lot of interest because on that night labour were expected to win over the whole country, so Harold Wilson would that evening become Prime Minister. And he personally was up against something unheard of in politics, a monster raving looney. So the t.v. And press were all around in force.
  A few days before one of my bank colleagues asked me did I fancy being a teller at the count. He was into politics. I said o.k. After all I was paid something around a couple of quid, not bad for three hours work
 So off we go. The system was we were all in this large civic hall sat on the outside of a ring of tables. About 30 of us. On the inside siting or walking around were strong party members who were supposed to be keeping an eye on us tellers to see nothing funny going on. The ballot boxes were emptied on to the tables. All the tellers had supplies of ordinary pegs as used on washing lines in those days.  Some painted red, some blue, a few for Lord Sutch, I don't recall the colour. We sorted the papers for the candidates, when we had a fair number of shall we say Wilson we counted out 100 and put the appropriate coloured peg around them and threw the bunch of 100 into the middle of the table. Easy.
  But opposite the man siting on my right was an absolute idiot of a labour official. Probably tattoos smoking woodbines. I'm not being snobby, but you know the sort. They don't exist nowadays. And he was picking on every slightest mistake on the few Tory papers. "Hold on, hold on, I don't like that. It's got the cross slightly outside the box." Rejected.
  This went on hour after hour. The teller next to me was getting really fed up with him. He stage whispered to me "I've had enough. Watch this"  he counted 100 papers out for Wilson and slowly and most carefully reached across the table, picked up a BLUE peg put it around the papers and threw them on the table.
  And waited for the explosion of anger from the other side. Nothing. Not a diccky bird. After half a minute he stage whispered to me again "now what do I do?" I whispered back I hadn't a clue.
  And that was it. I laughed next day when all the newspapers headlines said Wilson had won by so many tens of thousands. Actually 100 of his votes had gone to the Tory who only managed about a thousand altogether.
Guaranteed true. I even got Lord Sutchs autograph.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2015, 08:42:00 am »
David Jones (Conservative) won Clwyd West with an increased majority, pulling in 43.3% of the Vote.

Guto Bebb (Conservative) won Aberconwy, with an increased majority, pulling in 41.5% of the vote.