Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319951 times)

gwil

Re: National politics
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2011, 07:04:36 pm »
Great to see the nurses sticking it to the Government with their vote as per the news this evening. All the speakers I heard (but it was the BBC though) were spouting lines that you'd swear had been prepared by one particular party.

The result reminds me of the vote that the Arthur had during the miners strike regarding Thatcher union and pit closing policies.

As well as the one when the turkeys voted for Christmas of course.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2011, 07:13:33 am »
D'you think the Nursing union is out of touch with its members?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2011, 08:08:25 am »
The nursing union should be more concerned with the appalling standard of care in some of our local hospitals. There have been a number of stories in the local press lately about very poor standards of nursing care in Ysbyty Glan Clwyd and I saw for myself about two years ago that the stories are not exaggerated in the slightest.

gwil

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2011, 01:00:05 pm »
D'you think the Nursing union is out of touch with its members?

I can count many NHS Staff amongst my family and friends so I hear quite a few stories about how things are.

The nursing union are no different to any other union where it's the activists (mostly lefties, be they Labour or Libdumb variety) that wind their way to these conferences.

Activists like the 'nurse' Jane Pilgrim who Guido Fawkes so ably demolishes on his blog. When I compare people like her, and lets face it she wont be the only one, to those that I know then, yes, I do think that the nursing union is out of touch

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2011, 09:08:29 am »
The nursing union are no different to any other union where it's the activists (mostly lefties, be they Labour or Libdumb variety) that wind their way to these conferences.

I'm not sure how you can support that argument. Union representatives are elected, so if the nurses themselves are choosing those whom they know will represent their views and worries, by implication the entire body of Nursing is left wing.

But your simplistic division of Union membership and representation into Labour and Libdumb is clearly unsubstantiated, and - I'd be pretty sure - plainly wrong.  But what yo might argue is that the membership is - en masse - probably rather anti-government. And there might well be reasons behind that stance.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Orme Vixen

« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2011, 09:21:45 am »

I can count many NHS Staff amongst my family and friends so I hear quite a few stories about how things are.

Obviously, none of them Ambulance drivers then?
 _))*

gwil

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2011, 09:33:48 am »
 ;D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2011, 08:15:07 am »
An interesting study; Wales has always suffered from the lack of interest shown by UK politicians - remember Welsh Secretary John Redwood boasting how he had sent several hundred million pounds back to London that had been allocated for public spending in Wales?

FORMER Plaid Cymru MP Adam Price published Harvard research findings that Wales could have been 39% richer as an independent nation.

Mr Price, who stood down after two terms as Carmarthen West MP, is now a research fellow at the US university.

His report, ‘The Flotilla Effect – Europe’s small economies through the eye of the storm’, outlines potential economic benefits of independence for Wales.

It argues that if Wales had become an independent small nation within the EU in 1990, and performed on a par with other small nations, people in Wales could today be an average of 39% richer, and Wales’ GDP would now be greater than that of the UK.

The paper produced by Harvard researchers Mr Price and Ben Levinger studied what has been achieved by small independent EU nations.

It concluded:

Some of Europe’s smallest countries are among its most prosperous;

There is a ‘small country bonus’ among EU member states, with smaller countries growing at a more rapid pace;

Smaller countries are frequently the fastest to recover from recession.

The report acknowledged that the sovereign debt crisis in Greece, banking collapse in Iceland, and Ireland’s fall from “Celtic Tiger” grace reinforced the argument for ‘big’ economies.

But it argues: “There are many plausible reasons for opposing Welsh independence, but the risk of impoverishment can hardly be said any longer to be the strongest. Small can be bountiful – if that’s the path that people choose.”

Four key factors made small nations economically successful, it said, openness to trade, social cohesion, adaptability, ‘the macro-politics of micro scale’ and big government in a small country.

Mr Price, said: “People in Wales could be around 39% richer, and the Welsh economy could have grown by 2.5% a year had Wales achieved independence around the time of the fall of the Berlin Wall and followed a similar patter to other similar small nations. In contrast, regions or countries which have rejected independence have performed poorly.

“Opponents of independence and further devolution have often misused the current economic problems to suggest that small countries would struggle for survival in tough economic times.

“Many conclusions of this report blow these assumptions out of the water.”

Plaid’s MEP Jill Evans who commissioned the report said: “The increasing progress towards independence of many small nations in the European Union, such as Catalonia, Flanders and Scotland, has put this issue firmly on the political agenda.

“The debate on Scottish independence, in particular, has huge implications for Wales. So it is essential that we have a real debate on how we build a successful and sustainable economy.”

Offline pentan

Jeremy Hunt
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2012, 09:46:44 am »
I watch with great interest Jeremy Hunt at the levison inquiry this well educated man seemed to be suffering from some form of memory loss each time he was asked a poignant question.
Looking this guy up on Wikipedia it seems that this is not the first time he had mislead the House seems a little odd that a millionaire would be a Benefit cheat but then again maybe that’s how he adds to his riches.
I thought Cameron was going to stamp out this sort of thing obviously not as he is giving his full backing to this guy

copied fromWikipedia
Expenses

In 2009, Hunt was investigated by the Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards after allowing his political agent to live in his taxpayer funded home in Farnham as a lodger from November 2005 to June 2007.[19][20] The commissioner found:

Mr Hunt was in breach of the rules in not reducing his claims on the Additional Costs Allowance in that period to take full account of his agent's living costs. As a result, public funds provided a benefit to the constituency agent... But I accept that Mr Hunt received no real financial benefit from the arrangement and that the error was caused by his misinterpretation of the rules.[20]

Hunt’s offer to repay half the money (£9,558.50) was accepted.[20] Hunt also had to repay £1,996 for claiming the expenses of his Farnham home whilst claiming the mortgage of his Hammersmith home.[20] The commissioner said:

Mr Hunt has readily accepted that he was in error, and in breach of the rules of the House, in making a claim for utilities and other services on his Farnham home in the period during which it was still his main home. He has repaid the sum claimed, £1,996, in full. It is clear that, as a new Member in May 2005, his office arrangements were at best disorganised.[20]

The Legg Report showed no other outstanding issues.[21] Hunt's expenses were ranked 568 out of 647 in 2008–2009 and 548 out of 645 in 2007–8.[22]

Hillsborough comments

In June 2010, Hunt attracted controversy for suggesting football hooliganism played a part in the death of 96 football fans in the Hillsborough disaster; when in reality lack of police control and the presence of terraces and perimeter fences were established as the causes of the tragedy. He later apologised saying "I know that fan unrest played no part in the terrible events of April 1989 and I apologise to Liverpool fans and the families of those killed and injured in the Hillsborough disaster if my comments caused any offence."[23]

Tax avoidance

In April 2012, immediately following David Cameron's statement that he would not associate himself with anyone who carried out “aggressive tax avoidance”, the Daily Telegraph disclosed that Hunt had reduced his tax bill by over £100,000 by receiving dividends from Hotcourses in the form of property which was promptly leased back to the company.[24] The dividend in specie was paid just before a 10% rise in dividend tax and Hunt was not required to pay stamp duty on the property

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2012, 05:22:07 pm »
Local Lad, David Jones has been appointed Secretary of State for Wales.

Congratulations to him!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2012, 05:56:07 pm »
Local MP and living locally, Yorkie, but born in London.

Nevertheless, good news (hopefully) for North Wales for a change.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2012, 06:52:02 pm »
Local MP and living locally, Yorkie, but born in London.

Yep!  I know David quite well.   Us Londoners have to stick together, don'tcha know?   But he had Welsh parents and did learn Welsh.   Sara, his wife, is Welsh born and bred!  But to my mind where one is born is of little consequence.  I'm half Dutch, half Yorkshire and born in the Smoke but that never hindered my progress.   :D
Cicero

Offline Ludo

« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2012, 07:28:02 pm »
I'm half Dutch, half Yorkshire and born in the Smoke but that never hindered my progress.   :D

Spreek je dan Nederlands Yorkie?
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2012, 07:41:22 pm »
I'm half Dutch, half Yorkshire and born in the Smoke but that never hindered my progress.   :D

Spreek je dan Nederlands Yorkie?

Dad came to UK in 1909 when he was 9 years old so he grew up speaking English, although he also spoke, German and Yiddish (he lived in th East End amongst all nationalities).  As a result us kids never learnt any Dutch, except for a few swear words!  But as the Dutch all speak fluent English I don't have any problems with conversation.   Tot ziens! 
 :D
Cicero

Offline Ludo

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2012, 08:41:16 pm »
But as the Dutch all speak fluent English I don't have any problems with conversation.   Tot ziens! 
 :D

Oh - if only that were true a few years ago!. It is a popular misconception though alas. Many people in the capital speak reasonably good english, when you get out to other cities like Groningen, Leeuwarden, (where most people speak Vries - another language altogether) or Nijmegen where I live, you often encounter people in your day to day life who speak no english at all.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana