Author Topic: National politics  (Read 319707 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: National politics
« Reply #915 on: September 16, 2017, 08:30:28 am »
The problem is that putting a stop to any further attacks is close to impossible, even if you throw British law out of the window. I recall that the Germans were unable to stop attacks of that nature, and they used to liquidate entire villages over a single attack,.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #916 on: September 16, 2017, 12:17:56 pm »
The problem is that putting a stop to any further attacks is close to impossible, even if you throw British law out of the window. I recall that the Germans were unable to stop attacks of that nature, and they used to liquidate entire villages over a single attack,.

The authorities to a great job but it is virtually impossible to prevent all the atrocities that are happening.   They know where the problem is originating from but enough is not being done to reduce it.      A lot has been said about reducing migration from the EU but we do share common values with people from Europe, whereas most of the immigration is actually from non EU countries in Asia and Africa.

The trials in Rochdale and Rotherham have hit the headlines but I've not read of any deportation order being put on these people once they come out of prison.     They may be British born and can't therefore be deported but if they hold dual nationality status then the UK nationality should be withdrawn and then they should be deported.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #917 on: September 16, 2017, 12:38:05 pm »
Man arrested in Dover on charges of the London Tube bombing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41292528

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #918 on: September 16, 2017, 12:49:57 pm »
The authorities to a great job but it is virtually impossible to prevent all the atrocities that are happening.   They know where the problem is originating from but enough is not being done to reduce it.      A lot has been said about reducing migration from the EU but we do share common values with people from Europe, whereas most of the immigration is actually from non EU countries in Asia and Africa.
The trials in Rochdale and Rotherham have hit the headlines but I've not read of any deportation order being put on these people once they come out of prison.     They may be British born and can't therefore be deported but if they hold dual nationality status then the UK nationality should be withdrawn and then they should be deported.
There is more and more talk of "home grown" terrorism on the increase , due to increased vigilance from the security services, these people are finding it harder to travel, and join groups abroad.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #919 on: September 18, 2017, 08:13:51 pm »
An article on BBC tonight, the leader of the Welsh Assembly celebrating 20 years since the devolution referendum.
Saying that Wales is fundamentally different now, and was transformed by the result.

However, the vast majority of Welsh people say that they have noticed no improvement or no difference to their services, circumstances or lives in general.

Aren't politicians great?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #920 on: September 19, 2017, 09:16:32 am »
An article on BBC tonight, the leader of the Welsh Assembly celebrating 20 years since the devolution referendum.
Saying that Wales is fundamentally different now, and was transformed by the result.

However, the vast majority of Welsh people say that they have noticed no improvement or no difference to their services, circumstances or lives in general.

Aren't politicians great?
I expect he mean that the politicans lives have been transformed by their bloated salaries and expenses, paid for by the rest of us... &shake&

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #921 on: September 19, 2017, 09:58:37 am »
Absolutely!
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #922 on: September 19, 2017, 11:40:47 am »
Do they not notice their free prescriptions?  &shake&

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #923 on: September 19, 2017, 11:42:11 am »
Also I'm sure all the old folks (such as yourself) notice you have free bus travel as well  $walesflag$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #924 on: September 19, 2017, 12:04:31 pm »
Do they not notice their free prescriptions?  &shake&

That just leads to more waste, and unnecessary appointments.
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #925 on: September 19, 2017, 12:18:31 pm »
Wrong it saves the NHS millions of pounds in the long run by reducing hospital attendance.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #926 on: September 19, 2017, 12:23:35 pm »
I think it could certainly be argued that providing a service for nothing reduces its worth in the eyes of the person receiving it. Also, can it be right that the taxes of poor working people are used to enable the richest people in society to receive their prescriptions for nothing?

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #927 on: September 19, 2017, 12:26:08 pm »
Those 'richest' people in society who collect free prescriptions now would be the same richest people draining up hospital resources when there condition worsens because they were too tight to pay for the medicine in the first place. So yes, it needs to be free for all.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #928 on: September 19, 2017, 01:49:02 pm »
I think it could certainly be argued that providing a service for nothing reduces its worth in the eyes of the person receiving it. Also, can it be right that the taxes of poor working people are used to enable the richest people in society to receive their prescriptions for nothing?

It's an interesting topic. Some years ago the government statisticians did an analysis which discovered that it was costing more to  collect and process the payments for prescriptions than it would costs to provide the actual prescriptions, once you take into account those with chronic conditions and those entitled to free prescriptions through other routes.

But British society has always favoured the rich over the poor: the criminal justice system, for instance, is underpinned by the philosophy that dictates crime is committed mainly by the poor. The extremely rich have teams of people whose sole task is to discover ways to reduce the taxes they ought to be paying.  We still live in a class dominated society, and never more so than when the Tories are in power.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #929 on: September 19, 2017, 05:06:04 pm »

[/quote]
But British society has always favoured the rich over the poor: the criminal justice system, for instance, is underpinned by the philosophy that dictates crime is committed mainly by the poor. The extremely rich have teams of people whose sole task is to discover ways to reduce the taxes they ought to be paying.  We still live in a class dominated society, and never more so than when the Tories are in power.
[/quote]

I'll agree with that Ian,  the class system is still very obvious but I'm afraid to say that Labour has created another class.   That other class  can't be classified as working class because they don't work and don't want to work and are content to live off other people like a parasite does.
At present we have Upper class, Middle class and working class but I don't know what class we could call those able bodied people who are able to work but won't work.