The Local > Local News & Discussion

Tourist news: developments, initiatives and strategies

(1/48) > >>

Michael:
Cycle lane along the Prom

I hav'ent seen this discussed in the forum. But I am sure most of you will be aware through letters etc in the local press that the local keen cyclists are trying hard for a dedicated cycle track along the front, and the Council have turned it down time and again.  I can see both sides in this argument, I have always been a keen cyclist, but I also like nice open proms, and I'm aware of safety issues.  But-----I have never seen this proposal put forward. I would be interested in forum members opinons, for or against. Its not an ideal secenario, but I think might make the best outcome in a difficult situation.

Imagine looking at the prom looking towards the Little Orme. Reading from left to right you see a wide, open pedestrian area, then a row of seats, then a low wall, then an area of variable width, either grass, flower beds or both, including the lighting standards, then a narrow pavement, then the main carriageway., Assuming that the Council are going to persist in allowing parking on both sides of the road, this carriageway is too narrow. Not by a lot, but an extra two feet would make a tremendos difference to traffic congestion.O.K. even one foot. How about this?  Prom,benches, wall as it is. Great cheers from the traditionalists.  Scrap the grass and flower beds. A shame, I know, but cannot be helped. Maybe move a lighting standard or two. Put the narrow pavement and parked cars on the grass area, cycle track where the parked cars are now, and an extra foot to the road.  Not ideal, I know, but a lot better than what weve got now.  Mike

DaveR:
Mike! Lose the only bit of green space on the Promenade? No thank you!!  :o

Michael:
I told you it wasent perfect.  But the situation as it is is not perfect either. And I dont see how the different aims of the cyclists and the walkers can be recconciled.

DaveR:
Cyclists use the Promenade at present, I see them every day. What needs to change?

Michael:
Oh dear, I said I could see both sides. I can only refer you to absolute thousands and thousands of words printed by a Mr Roy Spilsbury on the subject. In the Post, weekly news, pioneer you name it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version