Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 139760 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #345 on: September 09, 2014, 12:03:27 pm »
Just remembered, yesterday on my way to see the cycle race, I passed The Hambone, and the ground was littered with their distinctive napkins and wooden stir spoons, when I returned, it was worse, and this time, there were no customers, the tables had been cleared and cleaned, I was surprised, it was a poor reflection on this business.  ...outside cafes and takeaways have a responsibility to themselves and the town to keep their area clean. 
So is this LITTERING ......who deals with this?.......

FA.  Like the fancy dress, Great idea.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #346 on: September 09, 2014, 12:33:17 pm »
Hi FA,  The £75 is split £45 to the wardens, £35 to the council, with a monthly draw for the wardens.....

Shouldn't that say "£45 to the company that employs the wardens" rather than "to the wardens"?

I do agree about the fancy dress though, it could even boost tourism if the wardens dressed up as discarded fag ends, empty crisp packets or fizzy drink cans.  I can imagine there would be a certain comedic value to seeing a wheezy smoker desperately trying to leg it down Mostyn Street while being chased by a giant half eaten M&S Cheese and Pickle sandwich.  I for one would pay to see that  :D.

Makes no difference really. If the money goes to the company then the company just puts more pressure on the 'wardens' to 'catch' more people. Point is the whole business is operating on financial incentive. They are little more than gangsters in uniforms running a racket. They are scum basically and should be in the 'scum' thread. I for one don't appreciate these bullies being on the street extorting money from locals and visitors alike.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #347 on: September 09, 2014, 02:32:27 pm »
They are scum basically and should be in the 'scum' thread.
Firstly, there is no 'scum' thread.  Secondly, your assertions are your own, and are probably unsubstantiatable. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #348 on: September 09, 2014, 02:40:12 pm »
There certainly was a 'scum' thread. You seem to have merged it or deleted it. Whatever you have done doesn't erase the memory of it. Secondly I didn't make any assertions I pointed out that it doesn't matter whether or not the money goes directly to the wardens or the company. That's definitely not an assertion.

Offline Dave

« Reply #349 on: September 09, 2014, 03:31:07 pm »
I thought yesterdays visit of the Tour of Britain cycle race was another example of poor communication on a local basis. Road closures were advertised and parking restrictions displayed but there was very little information about the actual race , the route it was taking locally, if there were pedestrian restrictions on where you could view and what time it was all going to happen.
The official T of B web site  wasn't in any local detail,and not everyone, particularly visitors might have access to the internet.
Once again, a "what's on for holidaymakers" paper might help tourists and locals alike . Other places publish them.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #350 on: September 09, 2014, 03:41:30 pm »
I saw a lot of tourists, struggling with their luggage, coaches could not get near enough for arrivals or departures, would have thought there was enough time for the hotels and coach co's. to make arrangements .

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #351 on: September 09, 2014, 04:00:09 pm »
Llandudno seems to be doing well at attracting some big events, but it does seem to fall short on publicising them locally. I am not sure why.

It may be that we have a good team of people tasked with attracting events, but the publicity team is just not so good. Alternatively, I do wonder if there is almost an element of embarrassment because they know that some people are going to moan about disruption, costs etc. and so individuals want to distance themselves from the event in case it goes wrong.

I thought the degree of disruption was incredibly low considering the scale of the event. And how often do you get to see a national sporting event involving real stars (e.g. Wiggens and Cavendish) for free.

Offline Dave

« Reply #352 on: September 09, 2014, 04:08:20 pm »
I guess the scale of disruption is relative to individual perception. None of the hotels on the front could take in new arrivals before 4.30pm for example, how that affects running the business I don't know but hopefully they were all too busy selling afternoon teas instead !

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #353 on: September 09, 2014, 04:33:45 pm »
Depends which way you look at this--the hotels who cater for some of the older people would have one hell of a problem.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #354 on: September 09, 2014, 04:49:31 pm »
Secondly I didn't make any assertions

They are little more than gangsters in uniforms running a racket. They are scum basically

In fact, almost libellous.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #355 on: September 09, 2014, 04:54:13 pm »
There is a big difference between an assertion and an OPINION 

That was my opinion which I stand by. People who harrass people, often vulnerable people, for money are IMHO gangsters.

But please carry on trying to stifle any form of interesting debate as you so often do.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #356 on: September 09, 2014, 05:11:30 pm »
But please carry on trying to stifle any form of interesting debate as you so often do

Well, I don't. What I do is determine when people are making assertions as opposed to opinions.

Assertion: a confident and forceful statement of fact or belief

That's what you're doing. Had you prefaced it with "I think..." then it would have been fine. Choose your words more carefully but continue to enjoy "any form of interesting debate" that isn't potentially libellous. 

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #357 on: September 09, 2014, 05:39:36 pm »
Whilst I strongly dislike the methods used to enforce the litter law, they are people who wanted a job, that does not make them scum or gangsters. I would blame the system / CCBC / whatever that led to this stage!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #358 on: September 10, 2014, 12:00:48 am »
Having seen the 'officers' at first hand on a daily basis,  having weighed up how they look, how they conduct themselves and having witnessed the impact on their 'victims',  I find myself in agreement with...............

.........BORN TO RUN!

However, I have qualified all my comments on this subject by saying that WE ALL surely want less litter etc, but this is just the wrong way to go about it.

Incidentally,  that most offensive of litter, dog poo, is STILL evident on the pier every morning, and every night..... because this is when most dog walkers are on there largely unseen,  and it is precisely when the wardens are NOT working!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #359 on: September 10, 2014, 07:41:35 am »
but this is just the wrong way to go about it.

I understand what you're saying about their approach and technique but we lack statistics on everything in this case. We don't know if their existence has led to a decline in the amount of litter, we don't know if they are behaving as badly as some stories would suggest and we have no idea if their work has resulted in fewer visitors. Everything we're actually discussing is based on little more than anecdotal evidence and what we need is significantly more empirical evidence. The only things about which we can be certain is that they don't appear to be costing CCBC anything and they may well be raising money through the fines for CCBC.

I'd liken them to speed cameras. No one likes being caught by them, yet they only normally catch those who break the law. Until we have compelling evidence, as opposed to casual observations, then I believe it's impossible to draw any conclusions.