Author Topic: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno  (Read 139586 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Obstacles to Tourism in Llandudno
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2013, 06:53:05 pm »
Any business emanating from the event was not my point at all. 

The event will deter some business from the usual regular visitors, because a large swathe of car parking has been wiped out.
Do not underestimate how many Llandudno tourists are regulars, visiting four or more times a year.

My point was, why must all this parking be forfeit this year?  Its hard enough in Llandudno at the best of times, and nigh on impossible for the disabled.  It's outrageous, it really is.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2013, 07:43:08 pm »
Nothing seems to have stopped disabled car owners in the past from parking on yellow lines etc. so I cannot truly understand what the problem will be.

Everybody else will probably park on the central reservations down Gloddaeth Avenue or on the grass verges in Colwyn Road.

There will also be plenty of free parking in Asda, Parc Llandudno and on Mostyn Champneys for those wanting to park for 2 or 3 hours.

If you want to park for longer on Parc Llandudno then one can pay for the privilege.

The car park in the Victoria Centre will also be available.

Alright there will be some inconvenience for a few hours for car drivers.

Fester, we ought to be encouraging these events to come to Llandudno instead of knocking them.

I am sorry to say I am not with you on this one.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2013, 08:19:22 pm »
    I would just like to point out that a seaside town around about 16 miles East of Llandudno would absolutely fall over backwards to get an event like this, They would close the whole town off FULL STOP

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2013, 08:43:56 pm »
    I would just like to point out that a seaside town around about 16 miles East of Llandudno would absolutely fall over backwards to get an event like this, They would close the whole town off FULL STOP

They've already had theirs a few weeks back (although I suspect it was on a smaller scale).

http://www.xtramileevents.com/events/calendar/rhyl-triathlon

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »
Well if people don't think the Triathalon is an obstacle to tourism, maybe this might satisfy the criteria?

Apparently, the North Wales Alliance, (an offshoot of the right wing EDL) is organising a major demonstration in Llandudno on August 10th.  One of the busiest Saturdays of the year.
It is being organised via Facebook, and over 1500 are expected to attend.

Obviously, left wing opposing groups are also planning to counter-demonstrate, and are urging people to join their demo on the same day in Llandudno.

I understand that the police have already 'advised' local pubs to remain closed all day, and that other attractions are expecting to remain closed to avoid damage or risk to staff.

Nice eh?
Fester...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2013, 07:25:21 pm »
Time to sell up and move out  ££$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2013, 11:52:03 am »
Well if people don't think the Triathalon is an obstacle to tourism, maybe this might satisfy the criteria?

Apparently, the North Wales Alliance, (an offshoot of the right wing EDL) is organising a major demonstration in Llandudno on August 10th.  One of the busiest Saturdays of the year.
It is being organised via Facebook, and over 1500 are expected to attend.

Obviously, left wing opposing groups are also planning to counter-demonstrate, and are urging people to join their demo on the same day in Llandudno.

I understand that the police have already 'advised' local pubs to remain closed all day, and that other attractions are expecting to remain closed to avoid damage or risk to staff.

Nice eh?

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-alliance-demo-llandudno-4749355
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2013, 12:19:35 pm »
I've been doing some digging. The Daily Post article is sensationalist nonsense and they should be ashamed of themselves for publishing it.

On the Group's FB page , it's interesting that the original name of the event was '"ENGLISH DEFENCE LEAGUE EVENT:Northwest Alliance Gogledd Cymru Awareness Day".
https://www.facebook.com/gogleddcymrunwa
Obviously, at some point, they realised Llandudno was not in England, so changed the name to:
"North Wales Alliance Gogledd Cymru Awareness Day"

They claim that:

It has come to our attention that militant Islam is starting to have an impact in north Wales, we have had reports of these so called Sharia patrols in towns along the north Wales coast, there have been cars driving around town centres harassing girls telling them to go home and get dressed, trying to convince people not to drink saying it is against Islam. This is only the beginning of things to come.

Islam is trying to get a hold in Wales, and we are starting to notice its affects, many schools are serving Halal meat to our kids, there is less integration with the wearing of the burka on the rise. Islam is coming and we must act now before it is too late. Rest assured that taking the attitude of it will never happen here will only result in one thing that is Islam taking over, we need to learn lessons from towns like Bradford, Blackburn, Rochdale, all have high numbers of islamics and they all suffer the effects such as no go areas, child grooming gangs, violence toward non muslims. We will not stand by and let this happen, we will fight this with every breath in our body. Now is the time to stand up and be counted.

The opposing group is:
https://www.facebook.com/events/503721449695198/?ref=3

...who say:

The N.W Alliance (another name for WDL) are planning to hold a demo in Llandudno on Saturday, 10th August.

On the N.W Alliance page (http://www.facebook.com/gogleddcymruedl) they are calling Islam a DISEASE, I think these people need opposing!

Please join me on the 10th August in Llandudno to oppose these fascists.

Our rally point will be the Llandudno Coach Park, just up the road from the train station.

Bring flags, banners and placards!

SEE YOU THERE BROTHERS AND SISTERS,

Solidarity.

Frankly, I don't want either group in Llandudno, disrupting trade in the town.  &shake&

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2013, 01:26:47 pm »
With the very few access roads into Llandudno it would be quite Easy for everyone to be stopped en route into the town and any weapons, controversial banners, etc to be confiscated, and any known trouble makers turned away.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Big Alan

• Scouse not English
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2013, 03:19:18 pm »
Oppose it, make your voices heard, get on to the police, your mp, the pricks organising it, anyone who will listen! The last one organised in Liverpool city centre was opposed so much that only about 15 were in the march, the police shortened their march route and it all went off unnoticed, people carried on with their shopping in town unaware of any protest. They only march where they have support.
Justice for the 96

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2013, 08:01:24 pm »
You're right, the Daily Post article makes it sound like a big deal when, in reality, there will probably only be a handful of people demonstrating. Better to ignore them than make a big fuss about it like the papers are doing.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2013, 12:30:13 am »
I think I'm right in saying that despite having a fundamental 'right to demonstrate', there is an application process that any potential demo must go through in order to be permitted.
They can be disallowed on several grounds, but rarely are.

If these organisations have not applied, than it cannot simply be assumed the demo will go ahead, and can be banned.

If these organisations HAVE applied and been permitted, then the CCBC and Police Chief responsible should be immediately sacked.
It is entirely inappropriate to have any such rally in a seaside town, especially on a busy day when children and pensioners are here to ENJOY themselves, not be subjected to hatred and vitriol.

There are 6 weeks for those in authority to see sense, and nip this lunacy in the bud.

Politics does not come in to it, when I see that certain people on facebook are just looking forward to coming to Llandudno on August 10th to 'crack some heads'

Fester...

Offline Linda

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2013, 12:51:19 am »
I think I'm right in saying that despite having a fundamental 'right to demonstrate', there is an application process that any potential demo must go through in order to be permitted.
They can be disallowed on several grounds, but rarely are.

If these organisations have not applied, than it cannot simply be assumed the demo will go ahead, and can be banned.

If these organisations HAVE applied and been permitted, then the CCBC and Police Chief responsible should be immediately sacked.
It is entirely inappropriate to have any such rally in a seaside town, especially on a busy day when children and pensioners are here to ENJOY themselves, not be subjected to hatred and vitriol.

There are 6 weeks for those in authority to see sense, and nip this lunacy in the bud.

Politics does not come in to it, when I see that certain people on facebook are just looking forward to coming to Llandudno on August 10th to 'crack some heads'

Hear hear! although I do believe as was said the Daily Post are over reacting. Folk just need to get on with enjoying themselves, but with publicity like that its that newspaper that should be held to account for frightening people away. If everyone ignores the so called threat and carries on, the rally will have no significance.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2013, 08:31:10 am »
Well said Fester---and Linda
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline pumpkin

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2013, 09:19:59 pm »
I write this as a coach driver and someone who has visited Llandudno many times with my family. Today I turned up at Mostyn Broadway coach drop off with  a blue badge holder on board as I have done many times, and have always been greeted by a friendly attendant who would instruct me where to park up. Not today, there was a parking attendant on site busy sticking £70 parking fines on all the coaches parked, and he was enjoying it!  Asked him where do I park with my blue badge only to be told, pay your fee and go to Builder Street, asked him what about the previous attendant and  blue badge holders, told me council got rid of him, he was doing it wrong. Well Ive news for the council, the previous attendant was the best advert for your town, he was interested in doing his best for the incoming  visitors. I would be interested to know if any councillors have walked from the coach park into the town, the footpath is covered by low branches in many places, and what about that big empty space next to railway station, would make a very large coach park nearer to town centre.