Author Topic: Local Politics  (Read 181575 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Local Politics
« Reply #510 on: July 17, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »
In my fantasy land of common sense, I would like to see a proper reorganisation, whereby services such as Education, Highways and Social Services are delivered at regional (ie. North Wales) level, and everything else (Parks, Public Area Maintenance etc) is delivered at ultra-local level (ie. Town Council). This would work well for a town like Llandudno, where having smart public areas is essential to keep attracting visitors. Unfortunately, since the Town Council in Llandudno's case can't even arrange a functioning website, maybe I will have to go with my Plan B of having the ultra local services delivered by an Elected Mayor, with full control over policy and budget.  $good$

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #511 on: July 18, 2013, 12:06:01 pm »
Llandudno as the premier sea side resort of Wales should sell itself as the gateway to Snowdonia.  We have a history here as does Conwy, Caernarfon etc. Something to be proud of and a beautiful area.
 We don't have anything in common with those dumps otherwise known as C. Bay and Rhyl

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #512 on: July 18, 2013, 12:31:38 pm »
That does seem very harsh on poor old Colwyn Bay, it was lovely years ago, still is in places!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Linda

« Reply #513 on: July 18, 2013, 02:06:30 pm »
I live up above Colwyn Bay and it is lovely, many people i know have some lovely homes around Colwyn Bay, Old Colwyn, West End ,Fabulous homes up near Rydal some with lovely swimming pools, Rhos is also a good area, we all have the Colwyn Bay postcode attached to our addresses and wouldnt take kindly to the WHOLE town being labled a dump!  I can think of a couple of dubious areas in Llandudno. Every town has that element . We dont like it and im sure the folk in Llandudno wouldnt like the label' dump' because of those certain areas. I thought that this was a Three towns forum . When i first moved to this area Colwyn Bay was very select 40 years ago. Sadly too many bedsits in the centre of town brought it down but that is just one area of Colwyn!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #514 on: July 18, 2013, 02:12:28 pm »
Linda, that's spot on!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Big Alan

• Scouse not English
« Reply #515 on: July 18, 2013, 07:26:14 pm »
Fiona Campbell Rothery! :o
Justice for the 96

Offline DaveR

• Administrator

Offline Big Alan

• Scouse not English
« Reply #517 on: July 18, 2013, 07:41:39 pm »
Ta Dave  $good$
Justice for the 96

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #518 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:31 pm »
It's amazing to think this Rothery woman was living in such squalor...  &shake&

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #519 on: August 23, 2013, 08:52:04 am »
Pickles throws down blogging gauntlet
22 August 2013

Eric Pickles has today attacked ''heavy handed'' councils who intimidate or even arrest bloggers at council meetings and accused them of abusing their powers.

The Communities Secretary cited a number of examples of reporters, community bloggers and other members of the public being barred from council meetings for texting, tweeting or filming.

Announcing new guidance to open up Planning Inspectorate appeals hearings to the public, Pickles threw down the gauntlet to local authorities to adopt the same levels of openness.

He named and shamed seven councils which have taken steps to bar, censor or remove members of the public during meetings, including an authority in Carmarthenshire which instructed police to arrest and handcuff a blogger for attempting to film a council meeting.

Pickles said that "a small number of councils are blocking filming because they want to suppress independent reporting, just as some councils are clinging to their town hall Pravdas".

"Councillors shouldn't be ashamed or be trying to hide the work they do," he said.

He added: "An independent local press and robust public scrutiny is essential for a healthy local democracy: without the sunlight of transparency, the flowering of localism will wither. Heavy-handed councils who call the police to suppress freedom of speech are abusing state powers."

http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=23746

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #520 on: August 23, 2013, 10:24:41 am »
I wonder if the next stage will be how impartial is the independent local press.  *&(

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #521 on: August 23, 2013, 02:05:24 pm »
When the UK and Welsh Government Cabinets open their meetings to the public (except for security matters) I will take Mr Pickles more seriously.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #522 on: August 23, 2013, 02:48:11 pm »
Carmarthenshire Planning Problems and more: Eric Pickles; 'Abuse of state powers as councils threaten bloggers with arrest' http://ow.ly/ocyNZ

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #523 on: August 23, 2013, 03:00:56 pm »
When the UK and Welsh Government Cabinets open their meetings to the public (except for security matters) I will take Mr Pickles more seriously

Well, he's talking about town council meetings. They're the equivalent of Parliament - which is televised, so perhaps he has a point.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: September 11, 2013, 01:47:46 pm »
The Llandudno Town Council website is now operational again, although large swathes of it are marked 'coming soon'. A shame that a Caernarfon web company was used, instead of a local business.

http://llandudno.gov.uk/index.html