Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028910 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #3270 on: November 04, 2016, 05:31:26 pm »
Steve, the benefits culture and changes in society mainly.
But the pier owners encouraging his tenants from Rhyl and Towyn to have day trips in Llandudno brings a certain type of family, regularly, in higher numbers.

B2R,  no reason other than freeloading and anti social behaviour.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #3271 on: November 04, 2016, 07:23:16 pm »
Thanks F.   Its a shame,  I wish M&B and the others  success.

Offline llandudnotrust

• Management board member
« Reply #3272 on: November 05, 2016, 05:38:31 pm »
We are very lucky to have such a good choice of places to eat in this town

Offline Big Alan

• Scouse not English
« Reply #3273 on: November 05, 2016, 06:41:33 pm »
Me and Paula saw a couple do a runner from the Gresham on Friday night! :o total shock, didn't look the type. We didn't even get onto it until we saw the young Spanish? Lad leg it after them. Felt sorry for him ???
Justice for the 96

Offline Jack

« Reply #3274 on: November 05, 2016, 07:00:19 pm »
Guess that is why places like the Cottage Loaf take your credit card up front and put it in a safe and give you the key.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #3275 on: November 05, 2016, 08:09:13 pm »
Me and Paula saw a couple do a runner from the Gresham on Friday night! :o total shock, didn't look the type. We didn't even get onto it until we saw the young Spanish? Lad leg it after them. Felt sorry for him ???

He's Greek, Big Al,  and it happens too often in the Gresham and everywhere else.

Jack, you are spot on, and it's a shame it has come to that.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3276 on: November 05, 2016, 10:35:24 pm »
Guess that is why places like the Cottage Loaf take your credit card up front and put it in a safe and give you the key.

I'd never give my card to anyone regardless of the circumstances, that's how a lot of past scams have happened with them cloning the card. I'd offer to pay up front or go elsewhere.
Valar Morghulis

Offline hollins

« Reply #3277 on: November 06, 2016, 08:59:41 am »

He's Greek, Big Al,  and it happens too often in the Gresham and everywhere else.

Jack, you are spot on, and it's a shame it has come to that.

I am totally shocked that this sort of thing goes on in LLandudno. How very sad. How can anyone think of doing this in the first place and surely they can be found on CCTV cameras these days?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #3278 on: November 06, 2016, 09:21:07 am »
I agree with SDQ about the credit card but the way around this is for restaurants to adopt the hotel model.  If the Credit card imprint is taken upon arrival then that's a reasonable guarantee for the restaurant.  It's not foolproof, of course, but what is?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3279 on: November 06, 2016, 01:12:52 pm »
The type of people that are prepared to leave a restaurant without paying are not worried by CCTV cameras. They are prepared to be physical to the point of violence if anyone attempts to stop them and then, in the rare event that the Police are called, if the Police arrive in time, or if they are identified to the Police, they then claim that the food/meal etc was inferior or poor quality and that they were not prepared to pay; it then becomes a civil matter, i.e. exchange names and addresses and the restaurant has to take civil action to recover the money, and no restaurant is going to do that. 
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3280 on: November 06, 2016, 01:46:54 pm »
Before reading these latest posts, I would have been annoyed if asked for credit details before eating to the point of walking out, I still would not let a credit card out of my sight nor a swiped imprint, however now being aware of the problems I would not object to paying at time of ordering, similar to the system used by bars, I think the restaurants have to get together and work out a method acceptable to both parties .

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #3281 on: November 06, 2016, 02:12:07 pm »
The problem with paying at the point of ordering swings the problem the other way, the customer has no recourse if the experience is unacceptable. I have been in that situation in a restaurant in Stratford Upon Avon, Payment required on order, and a disgusting meal met with shrugged shoulders on complaint. 99.9% of restaurants and customers work well together. It might be suggested that the type of people that do 'runners' can be recognised in advance with a little acumen and common sense, and restaurants should refuse to serve them in the first place.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #3282 on: November 06, 2016, 04:03:24 pm »
I agree that it is a minority causing the problem, maybe restaurants have to accept the situation, the same as shop keepers expect shoplifting?  A sad outlook.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #3283 on: November 06, 2016, 08:10:03 pm »
I agree that it is a minority causing the problem, maybe restaurants have to accept the situation, the same as shop keepers expect shoplifting?  A sad outlook.

They shouldn't have to do that Steve as the restaurants have to make a living and work hard in doing so.   It's a crime and they should be held accountable for it.
Good CCTV is a must and the images should be circulated by the Police in order to find these scumbags and then they should be barred from the Restaurants and Pubs in the area.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3284 on: November 07, 2016, 09:51:52 am »

Sadly the instances of shoplifting/stealing seem to be on the up. The Charity shop where I help is constantly being stolen from. CDs mysteriously disappear from their cases, people try things on and leave wearing them, plus their own clothes on top, and jewellery walks very quickly.

How people can live with their consciences I don't know. :-[
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.