Author Topic: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways  (Read 1028886 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Cafes, Restaurants, Pubs & Takeaways
« Reply #2625 on: March 14, 2015, 02:25:35 pm »
Watson's Bistro, nestling within the castle walls at Conwy, will never let you down.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2626 on: March 14, 2015, 06:34:26 pm »
Did La Taverna last nite,no complaints.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2627 on: March 18, 2015, 04:39:18 pm »
Board outside Snooze bar advertising jobs so i would say it looks like an easter opening.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2628 on: March 18, 2015, 04:57:30 pm »
And an end of summer closing, if they're lucky  $good$

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2629 on: March 18, 2015, 08:39:00 pm »
Looks like this one will be a nice bar and last a long time

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2630 on: March 18, 2015, 09:28:42 pm »

Just what is needed Wrex, I look forward to trying that.  Z**
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2631 on: March 19, 2015, 08:49:17 am »

Hope you're right, and I also hope the price of a pint isn't north of £3.50

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #2632 on: March 21, 2015, 10:49:49 pm »
The wife and I went to the Castle Hotel in Conwy for lunch this afternoon. Everything was very good except my wife’s choice of main course. Her duck breast was tough and chewy the rest of the bird was dry and tasteless, Savoy Cabbage had been blanched but not cooked and Shitake Mushrooms again were too tough to eat. For the price they charged it should have been far less pretentious and a lot more attention paid to detail. It’s a shame because that’s another place we won’t be in a rush to go back to.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #2633 on: March 22, 2015, 07:41:17 am »
the rest of the bird was dry and tasteless

You have to work hard to achieve  that with Duck...  :o
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #2634 on: March 22, 2015, 08:21:28 am »
The wife and I went to the Castle Hotel in Conwy for lunch this afternoon. Everything was very good except my wife’s choice of main course. Her duck breast was tough and chewy the rest of the bird was dry and tasteless, Savoy Cabbage had been blanched but not cooked and Shitake Mushrooms again were too tough to eat. For the price they charged it should have been far less pretentious and a lot more attention paid to detail. It’s a shame because that’s another place we won’t be in a rush to go back to.  &shake&

I hope you made them aware of your problems ?????
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #2635 on: March 22, 2015, 08:58:25 am »
I'm afraid we too had a rather depressing dining experience on Friday.
We had arranged to meet friends for lunch at the Quay hotel, Deganwy. The friends were staying at the hotel for two nights.
It was our turn to pay for the meal this time so wanting it to be good for them we booked beforehand for 1pm and asked for a table by the window so that our friends could enjoy the view as they live away from here.
We arrived first and were told that a table had been reserved in one of the dark booths on the right as you walk in. We asked to sit in the restaurant part but were told that this area was reserved for afternoon teas. In fact the tea tables were arranged in the area between the bar and the restaurant and the main area remained empty for lunch.
Eventually the manageress was called and seated us in the restaurant by the window as requested but we couldn't help feeling that we were an inconvenience rather than a paying customer.
What I can never understand is why they moved the restaurant down there from the wonderful one upstairs with the gorgeous views. I used to go there often for their set lunch.
I was told by the manageress that it was to accommodate weddings that they hold up there now. A sad loss in my view and I think she agreed with me. She said she had passed the comments on to the new owners as I am not the only one to have missed the upper floor facility.
All this aside when we were finally seated the service and the food was very disappointing. I had to get up and ask for the table to be cleared when we had finished eating. This wasn't done willingly and even then the empty glasses and bottles were left on the table.
The bar menu is very limited and expensive for what it is.
Eventually two other couples were seated either side of us by the windows in the main part of the restaurant because by now the tables in the middle section were all taken by people having afternoon teas. The young couple next to us must have waited more than 45 mins for their snack lunch and they were guests of the hotel and had just arrived.
What an awful start for them too.
I want to like this place, It has such a great location which at present is in my view totally wasted.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2636 on: March 22, 2015, 12:43:13 pm »

I hope you made them aware of your problems ?????

We had a similar problem with the main course when we went there one evening and the dessert was nothing short of a rip off.    We didn't complain as we were with friends and they had invited us to the hotel so we didn't want to cause them any embarrassment , but we won't be going back there in a hurry.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #2637 on: March 22, 2015, 12:52:22 pm »
On a more positive note, on Friday night while Wrex and the others braved the elements to watch Tudno play at Maesdu Park my wife and I were at La Taverna in Church Walks.
We shared a starter, then had a main course and a dessert with half a carafe of wine.     A really nice meal and a nice atmosphere too and at a very reasonable price of £36.50.
It's no wonder the place is so popular,  I just wish that I'd have started going there sooner

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #2638 on: March 22, 2015, 06:58:12 pm »
The Empire Hotel last night for us.

The £18.95 menu, for 3 excellent courses. including wine, and coffee afterwards is still unbeatable value in my book.

It was as reliably good as it's always been.  Highly recommended.
Fester...

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2639 on: March 22, 2015, 07:21:36 pm »
I left it late booking last nite so we ended up in the Mediterranean,food was nice and the placed packed for a change,